It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Ankle Surgery- What is this surgery called???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-25-2007, 07:51 AM   #1
    LIl1nvy
    (female)

LIl1nvy HB User
    Ankle Surgery- What is this surgery called???

I am facing surgery for ankle instability. I broke a sesamoid bone in the ball of my foot two years ago and the doctor has decided that he thinks my ankle instability is the ultimate cause. He wants to do two surgeries. The first is the common surgery to tighten the tendons in my ankle and create more stability. That part, I understand and I accept that it is probably necessary. The part I am not sure about is that he wants to cut my heel bone off and move it inwards just slightly and screw it back together in order to "lower my arch" because I have fairly high arches and he thinks it's contributing to my ankle over pronating. Does anybody know the name of the surgery he is referring to? Do you know if it's common or how well it works? Any information that anyone has to offer would be great. Thanks!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2007, 09:54 AM   #2
    pugluver31902
    (female)

pugluver31902 HB User
    Re: Ankle Surgery- What is this surgery called???

Cutting the heel off and moving it is called a calcaneal osteotomy. I had one done in cooperation with other procedures to fix my flat feet. I dont know too much about arches being too high, but thats what the procedure is called. In any case, before undergoing surgery like that, I would seek a second opinion.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:22 AM   #3
    LIl1nvy
    (female)

LIl1nvy HB User

Thank you for the help. I really appreciate it. I am definitely going to be getting a second opinion. The problem is that I am an in the navy and if they decide that I have to have the surgery in order to be commissioned, then I have no choice. If you have any more advice I would really appreciate it. Do you know much about remaining active after the surgery? How successful was yours? What did they put you in after the surgery? a boot, cast, ortho shoe? Thank you again for all the help!
    ~Lil1navy

Old 02-25-2007, 11:54 AM   #4
    pugluver31902
    (female)

pugluver31902 HB User

My surgery was complicated one, so Im not sure how much I will be able to relate since it sounds like we are having opposite problems. Lol. My feet were SOOOO flat. I had the ankle tendons and ligaments repaired, two joint fusions with screws and cadavar bone wedges, the heel surgery, achilles tendon lengthening, and a few other things. So....If you are just getting the heel done and the ligaments repaired, you may do a little better. But with all that said, I was in a cast for 8 weeks, a boot for three, and then therapy for a while. But four months out of each surgery, I was already back to jogging. Now, speaking on just the heel surgery, the heel bone is one of the most sensitive parts of the body. After my first foot, my heel was in agony. The pain was gone after a week though. Then when I was fully healed, I had to get the heel screw removed from my foot bc it was bothering me. Nothing too bad, but he had to take out some of the other screws so the doc took that one out too. I was able to walk on it later that night. Now on my second foot, I didnt get any heel pain after the surgery. So maybe its hit and miss. So to sum it all up... yes it hurts right after surgery, but now, I have absolutly no pain at all. I had both feet done, the second one being in october, and I am already jogging, jumping on the trampoline, and more. Hope this helped a bit!

Old 02-25-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
    LIl1nvy
    (female)

LIl1nvy HB User

Puglover-
    That information does help a lot! I was wondering, did they do both feet for a reason? Was it just that you were so flatfooted they found it necessary? I think my heel surgery they want to do is going to be the same as what they did to you only sliding the heel in the opposite direction. It's good to hear that you didn't have any pain. I have been doing some research and from what I can tell I have what is called fixed veras hindfoot. My right ankle underpronates and I guess it is fixed since it hasn't fixed itself and it does it every step I take. I have been in an ankle brace since December and it hasn't stopped the underpronation. There's a lot more history to this whole problem, but I don't see the point in going into all of it. I have also been concerned with having to get my left foot done. I don't underpronate on that side but I'm afraid to have something so drastic done to my right to change my arch and not to my left. It seems like it would leave me lopsided? Did your doctor address this at all? It is hard for me to get to see my doctor often here so he gave me his cell phone number for questions like these and unfortunately I don't think I have been calling the right number because I never get an answer. You know how doctor handwriting is notoriously sloppy... Again, thank you for all of your help. I originally had a broken sesamoid bone and it's hard to believe that the discovery of that problem has led to all of this. Thanks for everything!!
    ~lil1navy

Old 02-25-2007, 12:27 PM   #6
    pugluver31902
    (female)

pugluver31902 HB User

I had both feet done bc they were both very flat. If I had only had one done, I would be lopsided! Lol. You say that only one of your feet over pronates? If only one has a high arch, then you could probably be ok with only having one done. If they are both high arched, you would want to probably get both done. Only having one done would leave you with one leg a little higher than the other, setting your hips and back off balance. I was actually having NO foot pain before my surgery. Having such flat feet was killing my knees because my ankles rolled in, rolling in my knees, and then my hips too. Lol, I think your description of fixed is so funny! Im not making fun of you, but that did make me laugh. Hehe. Your foot is either fixed or flexible. I had flexible flat feet meaning my feet were not stuck in that position. The joints had not frozen my foot into a flat shape. If I sat down and moved my foot around, I could get it into an arched shape, but when I stood up, they went flat again. So that is considered a flexible flat foot. If I had a fixed flat foot, I would not have been able to wiggle my foot into an arched position. The foot would have been stuck flat bc of the joints being stuck. Hope that helps a little.
    I saw eight surgeons before I decided to go with a podiatric surgeon that I just loved. He explained everything fully to me, and I never felt rushed during my appts. He even wrote me a long letter discussing in depth exaclty what was wrong with my foot and how to fix it. After my surgery, he gave my husband his cell phone number, and he actually answered when my husband called at 2 am bc I was in pain. It is good that your doctor gave you his cell number (even if you dont have it right, lol) because it shows that his doctor life doesnt stop when his office hours are over. Make sure that you really feel comfortable with your doctor, it makes all the differance.

Last edited by pugluver31902; 02-25-2007 at 12:29 PM.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:06 PM   #7
    LIl1nvy
    (female)

LIl1nvy HB User

Just to clarify, I have pain in the ball of my foot but my doctor thinks that the tendon connected to my sesamoid is overactive so when my ankle underpronates that tendon then reacts to keep me from rolling my ankle, unfortunately it over-reacts so the i drop the ball of my foot when I walk and it ends up taking more of my weight, thus fracturing etc. I do have high arches on both feet but I have never been told that they were so high they could be considered troublesome. This is the first time I have heard that and I am not sure he wants to lower my arch a lot but I think he is hoping it will decrease the tendency of my foot to roll. I have read some accounts from people that said they had the tendons tightened in their ankle for the same reason I am going to have to, but because they still tended to roll outwards their tendons stretched out again and another surgery was necessary. My doctor didn't explain all that but he said that he has had to go back in to do the calcaneal osteotomy so many times that he would rather do it all at once to save me from having multiple surgeries. I understand what you said about fixed, I did not mean my explanation the way it came out. I re-read my post and realized it was confusing. I'm not sure what the fixed means but those are the only times that other websites say the calcaneal osteotomy is necessary for my problem. I know it is not referring to the arch of my foot though, it is referring to my heel. I THINK that it means my heel is fixed angled outwards, or that my ankle has not corrected its underpronation over time so now my ankle is fixed in its position with the lax tendons. It's all so confusing!! Did you do physical therapy after your surgery? Did you do any other exercising to stay in shape? I am in the navy so I can't let myself get too out of shape during this surgery. I already gained 20 lbs. during the last one and I can't get rid of that because I can't workout at the level I need to still! This time around, i am going to do it right and make sure I exercise any way i can while I am "under the weather" so to speak. I tried to find workouts online but they are few and far between. Thank you again for all of the advice. I'm sure I'll have more questions by the time you respond! Hah.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:37 PM   #8
    pugluver31902
    (female)

pugluver31902 HB User

Oh!! I see.. ok, Lol, its Sunday, dont make me think to hard. Ok, I see what the doc is saying about the heel needing to be fixed to keep the ligaments from stretching again. I dunno to be honest. Lol. It makes sense, but I think its good that you are getting a second opinoin. Yes, I did do therapy afterwards. It doesnt matter how great your surgeon was if you dont have a great therapist. Your foot will be so stiff and your leg so skinny after you come out of the cast. When I first saw how skinny my leg was, I was joking that it was my polio leg. A great therapist makes all the difference. When your foot is reconstructed, it feels so weird to walk on it at first. A good therapist will get you stretched and build muscle back up. I was a physical therapy technician before my surgery. When you look for a therapist, make sure they are hands on. That they will do hands on therapy plus exercise therapy. A sports medecine therapist is good for the ankle and foot too. They are usually extrememly knowlegable. So when looking for a therapist, make sure they do hands on therapy and have a sports medecine therapist on staff. Having a massage therapist on staff helps too, to help loosen the ankle.

Yes, I did still exercise while I was in the cast. I was completley non wieghtbearing, but I did a lot of crunchies, free weights, back stabilization exercises, and a ton of these things called "clams" with a wieght strapped to my thigh. That kept me from loosing my thigh muscle as well. I did pushups on my knees, and one legged wall sits. Im 23, so I didnt want to turn into a tubby while I was sitting around for three months. Lol

Old 02-25-2007, 01:48 PM   #9
    LIl1nvy
    (female)

LIl1nvy HB User

Yes, you definitely understand what I am facing with not wanting to gain weight! I am 21, and it's done a number on me to have gained as much as I did with the surgery last year!! I hate that! Can you explain these "clam" in more detail to me? Sounds like it might help me maintain my running muscles. I'm also hoping to get back to swimming before they let me run. If you know anything about all of that i'd really appreciate it.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:55 PM   #10
    pugluver31902
    (female)

pugluver31902 HB User

A clam is where you lay on one of your sides , on the floor. Bend your knees, but dont bring them all the way to your chest. A wieght should be strapped onto the leg that is on top. Then you open your legs, like a clam shell opening. Then slowly set it all the way back down. Make sure that while you are doing this, you never rotate your hips backwards. So just make sure only your leg is moving, not your hips and back. Does that make any sense? Your doctor might be able to give you a prescription to see a physical therapist one time before your surgery. They could give you exercises for you to do while you are recovering.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:56 PM   #11
    LIl1nvy
    (female)

LIl1nvy HB User

Sounds like a great idea. Thank you very much! I will keep you posted on the progress and when my surgery gets scheduled for!

Old 02-25-2007, 01:57 PM   #12
    pugluver31902
    (female)

pugluver31902 HB User

I also would sit on the tall kitchen bar stool, so that my feet were hanging off the ground, and strapped a 10lb wieght to my shin. I had my husband hold it to keep it from sliding down and hurting my foot. (That part is important) and then I would slowly extend my leg. This really kept my thigh muscle from wasting away. Too bad I didnt know all these things for my first surgery. I learned them in therapy after the first foot, and did them after my second foot. Cut my therapy time down by half the second time around.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:59 PM   #13
    pugluver31902
    (female)

pugluver31902 HB User

Ok! Take care!!

Closed Thread