It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Can anyone recommend something to help heal/fade scar from bunion surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2007, 04:09 PM   #1
    tootsie:)
    (female)

tootsie:) HB User
    Can anyone recommend something to help heal/fade scar from bunion surgery?

I have been using vitamin E from the gel capsules on my scar to help with healing. But am just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions that they have found to work well. I have heard some good things about Maderma, has anyone had favorable results with that? Thanks very much, in advance, for any advice!
    (Tender) Tootsie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
    KathJack
    (female)

KathJack HB User
    Re: Can anyone recommend something to help heal/fade scar from bunion surgery?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tootsie:) View Post
    I have been using vitamin E from the gel capsules on my scar to help with healing. But am just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions that they have found to work well. I have heard some good things about Maderma, has anyone had favorable results with that? Thanks very much, in advance, for any advice!
    (Tender) Tootsie
    Mederma worked well for me. My scars from 5/12/06 buninonectomies are barely noticeable now.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:06 AM   #3
    Blondebookworm
    (female)

Blondebookworm HB User

I have been using Bio Oil (web search will give you their website) and found it to be very successful on a number of scars.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:14 PM   #4
    danielle5100
    (female)

danielle5100 HB User

My podiatrist suggested Cica-Care silicone gel strips for my bunionectomy scars. I've just started using them so it's too soon to tell how well they work. I'll update in a few weeks, hopefully with good results.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:19 AM   #5
    tootsie:)
    (female)

tootsie:) HB User

Thanks all, for the advice. Interestingly, I have talked to a number of pharmacists and instead of trying to sell me something, they said that all the scar creams and what not are a waste of money and that the way your scar heals, is the way it heals, no matter what you use. One of them believed that just putting a bandaid over the scar and keeping it moist is the best thing you can do. My podiatrist had a similar opinion and said that if you have any other scars, to expect a similar outcome with what this one will look like. So who knows, I still think using something is better then not using anything at all. Please do keep posted on how the gel strips work out for you.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:22 AM   #6
    Zardtoe
    (female)

Zardtoe HB User

I had a scar on my chin that responded really well to Mederma - that and keeping it OUT of the sun for a full year (or at least well-lubed with heavy sunscreen), since the skin/scar is still healing that whole time. For my bunionectomy scar I've been using Mederma since the wound healed, and also the silicone scar pads (they also help with any shoe rubbing pain). I'm just at 8 weeks now and the scar is already quite faint. The Mederma folks said there's no harm in covering the Mederma'd scar with a silicone pad. Plus, the pad (or a Band-Aid) will help keep the sun off. Closed toed shoes for one more summer for a scar-free foot for the rest of my life is worth it!

Old 04-11-2007, 12:57 PM   #7
    PearlJammerz
    (female)

PearlJammerz HB User

Use coco butter works like a charm
    smooths lines fades scar and blemishes
    aloe, vitamin e, shea butter and of course coco butter byebyee

Closed Thread