It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Post Op Brostrom proceedure question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-02-2007, 12:21 AM   #1
    geminii16
    (female)

geminii16 HB User
    Post Op Brostrom proceedure question

I had my ligament repaired with the Brostrom technique 9 days ago. My doctor originally told me six weeks nwb 3 weeks in a boot and 3 weeks or so pt. At my post op appointment he told me 8 weeks in a cast, and quite frankly I'm really mad. What is most peoples expeirence with how long they were in a nwb cast for? I am anxious to get on with my life, and I HATE being in this stupid cast. Any help, advice, or sympathy is well appreciated. Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2007, 03:10 AM   #2
    jprinz99
    Veteran
    (female)

jprinz99 HB User
    Re: Post Op Brostrom proceedure question

Hi-

I would read some of the older posts (use the search feature and look up lateral ligaments, ankle reconstruction or Brostrom) We had a good set of threads a few months back which may give you an idea about rehab, different approaches doctors have etc. Just a thought.

I had a Brostrom back in July but also had several other things done at the same time. I think the cast vs. boot thing is either as a result/extent of surgery or the doctors thoughts when they close you up. Heck, a man done right after me in the hospital got a cast just because the hospital did not have the correct size boot to fit him! If all else fails you might speak to his nurse and ask if you could come in to get a boot so you could shower (never hurts to ask)

Good luck and healing vibes-
    jane

Old 04-03-2007, 11:02 AM   #3
    eko
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

I had a Brostrom done over three years ago. I was told I would be NWB for 6 weeks, however due to the combination of a blood clot and a dislocated big toe on the same leg, I was NWB for three weeks, them moved to a CAM Walker and was PWB for the next six weeks. I think every doctor has his own protocol and the eight weeks may be what he is saying now, but if everything looks like it is healing well, maybe he will shorten it up to six weeks. Six weeks seems to be the normal standard on a straight Brostrom. Don't rush yourself, but at about 4 weeks, just start asking him when he thinks you can be PWB.

Good luck!
    eko

Old 04-05-2007, 03:13 AM   #4
    geminii16
    (female)

geminii16 HB User

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm going to see my doctor on Monday, and I've decided that I"m going to talk to him about seeing if I can take it off four weeks later. I think he's just being extra conservative for some reason. Who knows. I'm still very frusterated, but I think I'll feel better once I speak to him.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:23 PM   #5
    dakotadeigo
    (female)

dakotadeigo HB User

Hi!!!! In March I was at my neighbors and I jumped 3 feet into their basement. It was so bad that they had to carry me home. My mom took me to the hospital and I found out that I had a grade 3 sprain on my right ankle. After about a month with no physical therapy I was walking around just find. A week after I got off my crutches we had a bad snow storm, and there was ice covering our driveway. So, getting off the bus I slipped and fell. By then it was later April. Once again I had sprained my ankle in the same place. That one got better within about 3 1/2 weeks. Towards the end of May I was practicing for softball and stepped funny on a hill. so, then I resprained it for the third time. All of July and August I went to physical therpy 2-3 times a week. I just went for a check-up to my surgeon's office. He decided that it was way to loose and that I needed to get a modified Brostrom Surgery on my right ankle. I'm only 14 and I have some questions.

1. Will I need some time off of school?
    2. Does it really leave a nasty scar?
    3. Is it pretty painful?
    4. Is the first plaster brace/cast heavy?

Old 09-17-2007, 02:10 PM   #6
    skyhighifly
    (female)

skyhighifly HB User

I think it is also important to point out that doctors will often base their decision partly on whether or not they feel you will be compliant. I had ankle surgery (debridement, talar osteophyte removal, decompression) and was told 10-12 days in the plaster splint and then in the boot until I saw the doctor at 5 weeks. After getting into the Cam walker I was free to weight bear and could also take it off to do light range of motion in the flexion/extension direction only and to bathe. When I saw the doctor, he told me that most patients he would have not allowed to take the boot off even to bathe and would have actually casted some if he thought for even a moment that they would not comply.

This isn't to say that you won't comply. But the doctor doesn't want his hard work to be put in jeopardy and wants the best outcome for you. If that means 2 weeks, well... it sucks, but you'll live.

I'm stuck in tennis shoes for the next 6 weeks and I have an evening anniversary party at a country club to go to. I am going to be ever so stylish wearing one strappy heeled shoe and one tennis shoe with a black brace. As much as it will suck and I will stand out, I am going to do it. Hang in there. You'll make it through.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
    55steel
    Inactive
    (female)

55steel HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dakotadeigo View Post

3. Is it pretty painful?
    1) You will need some time off school. Ask your doctor how much. Probably a few days anyway.

2) The scar is long but whether it's nasty or not mostly depends on how your body reacts. No way to predict unless you have other scars. Mine was nasty because I get keloids and there's no way to prevent that.

3) The surgery is very painful. Take your pain killers on schedule.

4) They don't use plaster anymore. You'll have a fiberglass cast. Not that heavy, and it will be lighter than the boot you'll get afterwards.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:18 PM   #8
    missyou009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missyou009 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dakotadeigo View Post
    Hi!!!! In March I was at my neighbors and I jumped 3 feet into their basement. It was so bad that they had to carry me home. My mom took me to the hospital and I found out that I had a grade 3 sprain on my right ankle. After about a month with no physical therapy I was walking around just find. A week after I got off my crutches we had a bad snow storm, and there was ice covering our driveway. So, getting off the bus I slipped and fell. By then it was later April. Once again I had sprained my ankle in the same place. That one got better within about 3 1/2 weeks. Towards the end of May I was practicing for softball and stepped funny on a hill. so, then I resprained it for the third time. All of July and August I went to physical therpy 2-3 times a week. I just went for a check-up to my surgeon's office. He decided that it was way to loose and that I needed to get a modified Brostrom Surgery on my right ankle. I'm only 14 and I have some questions.

3. Is it pretty painful?
    In a nutshell,I'm 16,and have sprained my left ankle multiple times in the past 2 years.

Back in June,I had Brostrom done,so,I'll answer your questions to the best of my ability.

1. You will definitely need time off school!Personally,I would wait until summer because I didn't really do anything at all the first 2-3 weeks post-op (I left my house exactly once,and that was to go to a post-op appointment).It's not like a Brostrom is something that you need to have done right away because as long as you're careful and don't cause more damage to the ankle,all that will really happen is that you won't be able to do activities like you would with a good ankle,but the Brostrom will prevent that anyway.Up until my surgery,I was in a brace just to protect my ankle.

2. As stated before,the scar will depend on how your body reacts.For me personally,the scar really isn't too bad.I mean,it's definitely there,and you can see it,but it didn't keloid or anything,so pretty much,it's just a 2 1/2 inch,really thin line that's a bit darker than the rest of my skin.

3. I have a low pain tolerance,and I didn't find it to be too bad.However,for the first 3 days post-op,I had a PainBuster (you can look it up to get more info)...But basically,it was this thing full of a local anesthetic that was constantly dripping into the incision site,so for the first 3 days,it was pretty much numb.The only time I really felt anything was when I moved too much,but then once I stopped moving,the pain would go away.I barely had to take any pain meds the first 3 days because of the PainBuster.After that wore off,the pain definitely increased (well,I felt it),and I took more pain meds,but still not too many (I went through my bottle of 30 in about 3 weeks,so that was only about 1-2/day).After the first 2 weeks though,the pain was much lower,especially after I got put into my fiberglass cast.

4. For me,when I first got out of the surgery,I had a plaster half cast (plaster underneath my foot and around the back side of my calf with tons and tons of padding all wrapped in a huge ACE bandage).It was insanely heavy...I would say about 5 pounds,maybe more!But,I only had that for the first 2 weeks or so,and during that time,I didn't really want to move all that much anyway (I slept pretty much all day).

Other things you should know:

1. I was in my first half cast for about 2 weeks (completely non-weight bearing).After that,I was in a fiberglass for 4 weeks,but only a week of that was non-weight bearing...After that,I was full weight-bearing and walking around tons (I went to the movies/mall 6 days in a row for at least an hour each time),and then various things after that like church,a friend's birthday party...My surgeon skipped over the boot (I was going to have a boot starting at 3 weeks post-op,but my surgeon decided to give me a plaster cast and have it be a walking cast instead of giving me the boot),so after the 4 weeks in the fiberglass cast,I went back into the brace that I had before my surgery (a RocketSoc).

2. Casts are terrible.The worst part is the itching...I found that spoons work insanely well to stop that though!Just stick the handle down where it's itching and move it around.It's especially nice when the spoon is cold.If it's a place that the spoon won't reach,tap the spoon on the cast,and that helps too.Another thing is,be conscious of your movements.You will want to move your ankle,but of course,you can't...And if you try to,it HURTS!

3. When you're allowed to start weight-bearing,don't try to go full out at first.I did,and it just didn't work.Work your way up.Honestly,at first I physically couldn't take a step,mostly because mentally I was extremely scared of what it would be like.Do partial weight-bearing first,and see how it feels.You could easily be off crutches in no time!I was allowed to start weight-bearing on a Friday,and by that Sunday (2 days later),I wasn't using my crutches at all.

I think that's all,but if you want any more info,just let me know and I'll try my best to answer!

Closed Thread