It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

OS ankle visit/update

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-08-2007, 10:04 AM   #1
jprinz99
Veteran
(female)

jprinz99 HB User
OS ankle visit/update

Hi ankle buddies-

Well, I went ot the OS Friday. Good and bad news (per usual, eh). I am finally out of the boot and into two ankle braces. Only need to use the boot if I go out for extended periods or while I am swim practice (they are not thriled with the fact that I want to get in the pool and work with my disabled athletes, but said they knew I would probably do it anyway )Still have to use the crutches, mainly for balance and minimally for support (esp as the day wears on).
Still in PT with orders for more strenth and gait and balance work. My balance has been so bad for so long and was a small issue before the last injury (3/06) that they really suspect a contributing problem. They think I may have a neuromuscular disorder or possibly lupus. And the arthritis is progressive and fairly severe (altho the clean-up he just did and the Celebrex should help). Have to stay on Neurontin and the nerve dmage will get better after a while but they said he doesn't think it will resolve 100% since I have had problems for over a year and the EMG shows damage.

Needless to say I am a bit fearful of all of this. They beleive the baance will get moderately better but is now a permanent problem I have to work around. I go back to OS in a month and will most likely be sent to a neurologist for further evaluation re: balance and other issues that have been happening the last few years. They are waiting amonth so the balance can get somewhat stabilized to let the neuro do an accurate assesment. Told me I will need 6 months to a year to heal from this latest surgery and foot will be functional, albeit limited and always somewhat painful. Oh great, no true fix. At least I will get "functional" as they say - that's something to be thankful for and to work toward.

Am still facing joint replacement or fusion in a few years and the left foot needs reconstruction. The surgery for the left ankle will most likely be in 6 months or so after the right foot heals enough to take full weight 100% of the time. I chose a while ago to put off fusion for as long as I can stand it.

Oh well, I am just happy to be out of the boot and weight bearing. Not quite able to easily do total weight bearing now that I am not in the boot, but I figure this will resolve fairly quickly with more PT. I have been dealing with this dang foot for over a year now and it is beccoming my full-time job what with PT, always wearing something on the foot and hauling around crutches. I do tend to forget that I am only 6 weeks post-op. I keep thiinking "But, it has been 13 months..."

Getting a bit "affected" by all of this. I have times I get so mad or depressed that I almost want to cry or scream. It just doesn't seem fair to know my sports life is over and I will always have to deal with a bum foot/feet. Sports was an outlet for me and a part of my life since I was a child. I am not sure how to "let go" of this part of me. I don't feel disabled even tho they keep trying to get me to accept it. Some days I am fine and happy and other days I just am in a weird funk. Geesh! Anyone else feel this way?

jane
(soory so long- just had to "dump")

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2007, 06:08 PM   #2
carol1225
(female)

carol1225 HB User
Re: OS ankle visit/update

Hi Jane
Sorry to hear your having a blahs....I think its totally normal and even more so for you with the possiblity of other aliments as well. Feel free to post here and vent, that is what is so good about this, while so many other people around us can't even understand this pain, at least there are people here who walk have walked in your shoes.

Don't foget to acknowledge the accomplishments even if they are small, I think its incredible that your weight bearing at 6 weeks and congrats on getting out of the boot, what an accomplishment that is. ... I spent seven weeks in fiberglass and ten weeks in that boot and another 8 weeks in the brace.... I thought it would never end and I had several melt downs, more than I choose to admit and there are still days now where I just want to pound my fist and scream ENOUGH cause to me this should all be done now, I want to be whole and I want no limitations but that is not how its going so I have to learn to take it one step at a time and that is hard for me, I am used to running full speed from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed and I find that I often have to sit down and just take a break or learn to be more patient. Sometimes I think the recovery should have taught me patience but it taught me inpatience.
We all learn at different levels but never forget to look at where you were and where you are now.
When I used to get really down my hubby used to say things like.... just look two weeks ago you were still crutch dependent and now you can take steps from the fridge to the table and know what???? I would look at that and think its not enough and it would frustrate me even more but I forgot to look at how hard I worked at getting and how far I had come. Sometimes in our frustration we loose sight of the small things, keep smiling, I know its hard but you can do it.
I send you all my best
Carol

Old 04-10-2007, 01:30 PM   #3
cindy777
Inactive
(female)

cindy777 HB User

Jane

I am so sorry to hear you have gone through all you have and you know there are more to deal with down the road. we are all in the same boat regarding the emotion roller coater (?) I am angry, upset, sad, happy at different times, and I don't have a calm personality at all. the night I thought about how much my pod screwed up my not so bad foot let me went though the unecessry surgery so I can't walk now + plus lots of other problems, now he deserted me leaving me high and dry not knowing what's going on for a while I had enough and I cried big time for hours, my husband didn't know what to do. poor guy, he really takes care of me around. I cry whenever I want to. I swear I yell whenever I talked about my foot and the pod. I don't care, as long as it makes me feel better after that. we are all human beings after all. who the heck want what happened to us. You are very brave handling all the problem with your foot. that's a lot happen to your foot and a long time, and like you said, you lose part of your life that you are so much into and your lose your outlet.

but, don't give up hope that you can't do sports any more. My naturapathics doc told me that if your mind said no to your body, you body picks up. she said the mind plays very important part in our physical and your body is smart and knows how to heal itself with the right conditions.

I generally have a very positive outlook in life. used to worried a lot about many little things. Dale Carnegie's "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" helped me so much. The book is full of real live stories of wonderful human beings and how they handle their situations (some are really bad like life-and-dead) I picked up the technique on Chapter 4, "how to analyze and solve worry problems" but the book is way more than techniques, whenever I didn't feel good, i opened the book just read whatever chapter, there're always stories that full of good positive energy. it becomes my 'bible'. always makes me feel good after some reading. another thing I do is going to movies. now I can't go, so my husband just bring them home and we watch them at night. I only want to positive, uplifting ones, not the dark scarely ones of course. like the other day "freedom fighter", about how a high school teacher helped the troubled students, felt good, I am going to pick up Lance Amstrong's book about how he conquered his cancer. My natuapathic doc also tell me to enjoy nature, music... 15-30 min/day. I don't know what your other outlet is, I am sure you have, just go there enjoy yourself and forget everything else. sometimes you just have to get away all the disease, tendon, knee, foot, fusion, etc etc. however, when you need it, you can always come to the board and let it out. whatever make you feel better.

like carol said, you are getting better and better even though you are not aware of it. hope it helps a little. they all say it helps to heal to be peaceful and calm. well, I don't know how much i apply what I learn, he he he. we are all in the same boat. I'd say, try our best and give ourselves some break, he he he.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
wtwct
(female)

wtwct HB User

I know what you mean about the balance thing. I am going to have my 12th surgery in May on my left foot and ankle. My fibula is hitting the side of my heel, there is nerve damage (which I HATE) and they are going to scope my ankle. (Maybe a nerve is compressed). We will see.

Right now I am going to get my wheelchair in order. I will use crutches to get out of the car but, I cannot use them for long. I also have tears in my right PT tendon. Not easy to stand on that with the other in the air.

Hope you feel better soon and vent all you want!

Old 04-11-2007, 04:13 AM   #5
jprinz99
Veteran
(female)

jprinz99 HB User

Well I just re-read my original post - I sure sound morbid, eh? I was having my own personal pity party. I have read all your posts and licked my wounds a bit. Back in a better frame of mind (at least most of the time).

You all are so great and I really appreciate everyone being there. While I wouldn't wish these sort of problems on anyone, it is comforting to know others have/are been there and that folks care.

My OS and PT caregivers have all been great and I have no complaints about them or my treatment which makes me lucky compared to some of you. It is just that sometimes I wish there was a magic pill that could give me a break for a little bit (wow, imagine the profits off that drug!)

Slightly funny thing happened last night. It dawned on me I have not carried groceries in the house since last Spring. Heck, I rarely even have to carry my own purse. I just started chuckling at that thought! At least there is some benefit to all this

Thanks again for all the good thoughts. I keep checking my post when I have those down periods to get me back in a good mind-set.

Love to all,
jane

Old 04-11-2007, 10:15 AM   #6
lostmary
Senior Veteran
(female)

lostmary HB User

Jane,
I'm so sorry you are having more problems. There aren't many of us old times left. I can't believe you are going on surgery number 12. It makes me feel better about my 8or so. You know we are hear for you, and we will be with you through the next surgery. You are allowed to have pity parties, although next time invite us...I'll bring the margarettes and salt, and you can supply the food...sound good?
Mary

Old 04-11-2007, 02:27 PM   #7
wtwct
(female)

wtwct HB User

Im in for the margaritas. I will have a cup holder put on my chair.

I agree. Vent all you want. We will listen any time.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:10 AM   #8
jprinz99
Veteran
(female)

jprinz99 HB User

It's a date!!!! I'll bring the chocolate just for good measure!

May have made a type-o. I am surgery number 2 this go 'round. Apparently my brain goes faster than my fingers can type. Sorry for the confusion.

jane (you guys are great!)

Old 04-12-2007, 02:51 PM   #9
lostmary
Senior Veteran
(female)

lostmary HB User

Jane,
IT doesn't matter if it's 2 or 12. Any excuse for a good party. Every surgery is scary and hurts, no matter how you look at it. So we are here for you, and if you want to laugh, cry, rant and/or rave feel free. We all have done it and as we are still here we will probably do it again.
Mary

Old 04-12-2007, 06:08 PM   #10
cindy777
Inactive
(female)

cindy777 HB User

Wtwct and Mary,

You folks have 12 and 8 surgery and you're still alive?!!! Good lord!!! I never know of anybody around had more than 1, and in my generation of my families amout 30 people over (brother sister, cousins, etc), I am the only one that have the honor thanks to my pod. Tell me what happened to your folks feet and how you deal with all your pain and suffering, how do you recover from one and other... mine mine mine, the thought of what you must have been gone through make me trumbling. I wonder whether 12 break the record. You folks are the warriors.

I am all new to this tendon business. Just try whatever I can to stand on my foot again, not really knowing what I am doing. I wonder any of you try things like MSM, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, multi vitamines, anti-oxidants, fish oil (these 3 way over daily recommend dosage), whey powder, turmetric, green tea, milk thistle, bromelain, etc etc.... Do they really work at all? I gobbled down these stuff (havn't got the last 2 items) with my eyes closed. I don't think I enjoyed them at all physically and emtionally. The only reason I eat from the bottles is that I read this book yesterday by Elizabeth/Thomas Motyta, MD/DO and Mark Mead, MSc (whatever title it is)"The Rapid recovery Handbook: your complete guide to faster healing after surgery". got some stories, one of them got my attention is the last author Mark Mead, a nutrition consultant or something, got back to play basket ball 3 months after his knee operation even his renown surgeon informed him something like he should not move much util 6-9 months, no more basketball playing for him. Hey, Jane, I thought you might be interested. There is hope! the book is a chore to read thought, not smooth and well thought of at all, a little felt like sales pitch to me, but, I don't think they make up the story. But what really contribute to his miracle recovery? they said the MSc (the patient) and the husband (DO) sit down and made plans, strategies for the surgery and healing, but the book didn't mention what plan they actually have. Any way, I wonder any of you have positive reaction to the above mentioned "natural drugs, food whatever"? At least I feel better knowing it works. guess I am pretty desperate to get better. Have such a crappy body that doesn't cooperate with me. the better my foot from pool exercises (thanks wtsct) the less sleep I have. have to figure out a way.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:33 PM   #11
lostmary
Senior Veteran
(female)

lostmary HB User

Cindy
Thank you for the praise, but there were times when I would have pity parties with everyone here. My problems started with a small toe that would break almost every day or so. Long story short (i;ll try), went to Ortho doc..he did x-rays. mir, and thought I had a bone infections. did biopsy, inconclusive, so did 6 weeks with a pic line (it's an IV line that is run thru the arm, across the chest to get antibotics 24/7). no different. ortho doc wanted to amputate. my infectious disease doc said go see this Pod. he has done 7 surgeries to remove bone from the toe and a neuroma. wouldn't heal which is why extra surgeries. Last one put me in the hospital for 11 days as doc had to remove all the flesh from both the top and bottom of the foot, between the last two toes. then stuffed the opening with sponges and put me on a machine that would suck my foot 24/7. Very much like a vac u seal that you can get for food. So far as what works the only normal thing I take would be Zinc. I have used it for all my surgeries and all my different doc agree that it does help healing. So far as the pain goes, Percacet works if you stay on top of it. Lots of pampering myself. I have horses and dogs and cats, and poor hubby had to do all the barn work for the last few years. They have been what has made me get up out of bed/wheelchair. Hope it helps.
Mary

Old 04-13-2007, 04:14 AM   #12
jprinz99
Veteran
(female)

jprinz99 HB User

Hi all,

I don't know if this would help any of you but this is what I have done:

after this last surgery my OS put me on Celebrex for inflammation and it does seem to help better than just using 800 mg of Ibuprofen (which I still take yet I am no longer eating it like candy). He also has had me on neurontin since 3 days after surg #1 to help the nerves calm down. (God bless the person who invented that drug!)

He also asked me to take Gluc/Chond/MSM to assist the bone healing and growth process. Originally I thought this was crap but what have I got to lose. I now think it may help and they say it doesn'y hurt so perhaps it is a like a support to what the body does naturally (or even a mind over matter thing)?

I wear the braces for support/protection plus it prevents my feet from having to do all this extra work holding me up. Plus I found out the hard way that I can't go far if I go "commando" in just a pair of sneakers.

I gained 10 or so pounds after the first surgery and am trying to be more active and loose those extra pounds to take off stress and weight; not to mention I want to fit back into my old jeans.

I also seek info on folks who have gotten better (like here on the boards). I was originally stunned and mad that my foot wasn't just a temporary "thing" that would heal. Then I really had the wind knocked out of me once the first surgery was a failure. I had believed that surgery would get me back to normal after 6 weeks even tho I was warned otherwise. I am sure that had to affect my recovery. Now I just keep looking forward (well, except for "those days"). I use imagery and forward thinking like my old team sports psych used to have us do. It helped then so why not try it now.

The other thig I do is just plain 'do it' - like the ad says. If I am unsure, then I just push forwad and try. I figure I have failed and/or fallen before so what's the big deal if I do it again? I can always get up {even if I need some help from someone}. Try, try again, eh?

Gosh I sound like one of those new age weirdos don't I? I really am just a normal gal but am now forcing myself to be positive. If I feel like garbage then I force myself to smile. It usually makes me get uplifted, even if it is because I feel so danged goofy doing it

Like Mary mentioned I could not have survived without my pets or my family. They have licked my wounds, kicked me in the arse and generally let me be loved. I think everyone should have an animal in their life if only for companioship and unflagging affection.

Hmm, I've rambled on and on again. I have got to do better about that...
jane

Old 04-13-2007, 02:42 PM   #13
wtwct
(female)

wtwct HB User

I agree. Since my family does not want to hear it any more, I got a pet. When I don't feel well, she stands over the top of me. When I wake up, I see her big eyes staring into mine. Like she is trying to say"why are you laying down again, its play time". What a goof. No time to be in a bad mood when there are pets around.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:00 PM   #14
cindy777
Inactive
(female)

cindy777 HB User

My good god, Mary, just to read your description of all those procedures is very difficult for me. Sounds more like a toreture scene of a movie. I can't imagine how you handled it and seems you handle it so well with ease. To me, it's humanly impossible. I'd probably have no will to live any more. ha ha ha. Wimp like me can't stand any little cut which I'd baby and keep dry all the time until it heals. it gives me new found prspective of how much you folks can endure. I am s--o--- sorry that you have this evil condition that tortures you that much. I wish I could help, or more likely, somebody could help you out of this. By the way, what kind of condition is that? I don't know what I can say, there must be hope there.

I remember when I was young, my father had problem with his left shoulder. His doc told him that the pain will never go away and that he couldn't move as much the rest of his life. you could only control it but you couldn't make it good as before. unlike the rest of the family, my father is a super disciplined guy. I remeber everyday he took an hour to apply or soak his shoulder with very strong nasty punging swell herb juice he cooked. we grumbled a lot because no matter how we covered our nose and where we ran in the house, couldn't escape the smell. he also did some kind of exercises. don't remeber how long it lasted 3, 6, 12 months? any way, haven't heard him complain about the shoulder since. after his cancer in his 40s, a wake up call, he totally changed his life style, get up early, massage his whole body for 1 hour, going out walking and doing Tai Chi, eating and going to bathroom going to bed every day same time like clock work and another hour whole body massage before he lied down. We all laughed at him, hey, the guy is 80 now, no need to see any doc for anything execpt checkups, healther than ever.

talking about pity party, I like that idea, sounds like pampering to me. ha ha ha. just felt real down last night. like felt down to hell from heaven, bubble butsted, lost quite some hope. I am feeling better and better with the pain I think with all I did. thought we are going to Lani to celebrate. I felt like i could fly and I danced a little too in the morning yesterday. yeah, more like pigs fly. after going to pt, 4 other places (used electric chair and had help for grocery), unload some stuff and lastly be kicked by a little boy running around in the hospital, I came home got the shooting pain again that I rarely have. I know then I couldn't handle walking and standing like before (I could handle everything except standing on my injured foot's ball before surgery), no way. Not long ago, just throw up some of the "superfood, joint juice, vitamin etc etc, whole bunch of stuff for the foot. I kept flash them out of my system. Finally got some release, was so dizzy and drained. Guess it's too much for my crapy body which can't handle a bottle of beer and whole bunch of other stuff. Can't do the pool exercise either, my body can't handle the cold my muscle so tight up at night that I couldn't sleep. I felt exactly like Jane about when is the end of it. My pod planted the seed in every visit that I'd be 100% good for anything 6 weeks after surgery when cast was off. Had I known 1% of the chance i'd become where I am now, there's no chance for me the take the knife. Jane, thanks for the tips and support, could you really walk after your first surgery? and if you did, how long could you walk after the surgery?

guess been vented enough. maybe it'd easier just have the foot chop off and save the hassle.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:47 PM   #15
dankn
(male)

dankn HB User

Hey carol, I have read in other posts that you have had an ankle allograft. I am up for the same surgery any day now, once a suitable donor comes in and I am really curious to how things are doing. I read that your insurance would not cover the surgery, I am in a similar I boat. My doctor said insurance companies give him problems with this procedure as it is considered experimental even though there is plenty of literature on it. So how did you get the procedure done without insurance approval? How is the recovery going? Do you feel an improvement? Are things better than before the surgery? Was the surgery worth while? And also how much were you billed for the surgery? Any advice or words about the surgery would be greatly appreciated. Hope to heere from you soon. Daniel

Closed Thread