It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• HELP! Ankle pain in both ankles: What could cause this? (Related to fusions?)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #1
    imhdab
    (female)

imhdab HB User
    Question HELP! Ankle pain in both ankles: What could cause this? (Related to fusions?)

Hello,

I have a few questions about some weird ankle pains I've been having...

I had both my big toes fused due to bad hallus rigidus (about 2 years ago). Recently I've been having lots of ankle pain in both ankles (I always seem to be symmetrical.)

This pain varies quite a bit, Sometimes it's in one larger area -- like all over the front of the ankle or all over the back. Sometimes I even get pains that go up into my shins -- sort of an all over burning pain. Once it went even higher and I get weird 'twisting' kind of feeling -- like my thigh muscle is being twisted or something (not sure if this makes sense -- this is really difficult to describe) -- this only happened once and went away fairly quickly. Sometimes it feels like the pain is more localized -- like it could be a sore ligament. Just when I think I have it figured out it changes again some other area will hurt all over in a totally different way.

Also, I do get hip pain (again, both sides) especially when I'm lying down.

HELP!!! What is going on here?!?! I went to my doc and they did an arthritis screen and it came back negative. My doc says it could be fibromyalgia but wasn't sure.

I do wear orthotics -- could this type of pain be caused by orthotics that need to be replaced? Any other ideas?

Help!!! Any advise would be most appreciated -- of course I'll be going back to my doc for a diagnosis but would really appreciate any words of wisdom since this is worrying me quite a bit.

Another note: I thought that these ankle pains could be related to my fusions but wouldn't this have shown up sooner? I was in Italy last fall and walked up and down steep hills for many hours at a time. I would think that would have done it if anything way going to...

(Also, do you think I should see my orthopedic surgeon who did my fusion surgery? Or back to my family doctor?)

Thanks!

~Heather

P.S. Hello to my Fusion Buddies... sorry I've been away for a while. (Working full time... taking classes... trying to keep up with too much. I need to simplify my life!)

P.P.S. I also posted this message on the Fibromyalgia Board.

Last edited by imhdab; 05-06-2007 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Wanted to include some additional information & say that I'm also going to post this on Fibro. board...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
    dlh
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dlh HB User
    Re: HELP! Ankle pain in both ankles: What could cause this? (Related to fusions?)

Heather.
    I posted on the other thread too about the fusion song........cant believe I actually remember all that but you know it was something fun to think about during a hard time! I have alot of ankle pain too, off and on, up my calfs and into my knees. Its odd. I did end up hurting my achllies tendon on the foot that is not fused, I have favored my bad foot for so long it is causing problem for me on the "good" foot. HA! I, too, have a dx of fibro. Not sure I accept it although it does explain an awful lot and makes me feel less crazy about the "phantom" pain(thats what i call it)
    I say see your reg DR ANDmaybe go back to your orth, better safe than sorry, right? And orthotics may be ready to replace, I dont use them so dont know alot about it but I would check into it.
    best of luck
    I bought my first pair of half inch heals after 2 years.................woo hoo! Of course I cant wear them for long but at least I can do it short term. I am so exited!
    Dawn

Old 05-06-2007, 09:22 PM   #3
    imhdab
    (female)

imhdab HB User
    Re: HELP! Ankle pain in both ankles: What could cause this? (Related to fusions?)

Hi!!!

Nice to hear from you again! I can't believe you remember that song -- I'll have to see if I can find it.

I have 2 thoughts about these ankle pains:

1. Could it be that after the fusions I'm not as 'stable' as before and my ankles have to work a bit harder and that's stressing my ankles? That's what I initially thought... but wouldn't this have shown up before now?

2. I've also had a BAD case of acid reflux today -- which I rarely get. Could this be related? And if it is, could it be related to perimenopause? I'm 45 now... (gulp) and I guess it's getting closer. And if it IS perimenopause will I mutate further into some weird alien life form?

Anyway, nice to hear from you and congrats on your heels! Woo hoo!

Take care,
    ~Heather

Old 05-10-2007, 07:47 AM   #4
    dlh
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dlh HB User

somehow I think your safe from mutating into alien life form! HA HA!!! I am 42. I went into full blown menapause at 25.( completely had my female stuff taken out at the ripe old age of 25). It was hell for a few years but alas I am sane now.
    I wonder too if the ankle may be unstable from the fusion.........my fused foot has issues and my ankle is weaker. I have tendonits in my achellies on the other leg............also wonder if abusing it all those years before the fusion made it weak. Hope you find the answers your looking for! Best of luck Heather!
    dlh

Closed Thread