It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Fusion revision surgery went very well!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-09-2007, 06:12 PM   #1
    sorefootsophie
    Veteran
    (female)

sorefootsophie HB User
    Fusion revision surgery went very well!

To all my friends who very kindly asked about me after surgery....I am sorry I haven't posted before now. I had my surgery a week ago. The doctor took a bone graft from my heel and placed it into the 1st mtp joint, then placed a plate and five screws! Wow! That must be some plate! I have my post op tomorrow. Hopefully the sutures will be removed and I will get the cast on. This post op splint is not very protective. I haven't left the house but once I have a little better protection I will feel better about moving around with the crutches. I have had more pain meds this go round so the pain has been better controlled. Hopefully I will only be NWB for about 8 weeks. Unfortunately, there will be no driving AGAIN for at least the next 8 weeks! I will get a bone stimulator also this week and have also decided to start taking extra Vitamin C. Hopefully this time my body will cooperate! Thanks for think of me. Sophie

Last edited by sorefootsophie; 05-09-2007 at 06:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2007, 07:18 PM   #2
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
    Re: Fusion revision surgery went very well!

good luck on the recovery and follow doctors orders! keep posting and i hope you are not in pain.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:29 AM   #3
    lizzy21
    (female)

lizzy21 HB User

Conratulations Sophie! I am glad that revision surgery has gone well this far I hope that it is a speedy recovery with minimal, if any pain. Keep us updated!

Liz

Old 05-10-2007, 02:31 PM   #4
    wtwct
    (female)

wtwct HB User

Yea!!! Good for you.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
    SoCalSharon
    (female)

SoCalSharon HB User

So happy to hear it went well. God bless !
    Sharon

Old 05-10-2007, 07:22 PM   #6
    janieab
    (female)

janieab HB User

Glad to hear that things are looking up for you. You deserve a great outcome. Keep us posted!
    Janie

Old 05-11-2007, 05:25 AM   #7
    lostmary
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lostmary HB User

Sophie,
    I'm glad everything has turned out as well as can be hoped for. Hopefully, this will be your last surgery. You have had more than your share of problems. 8 more week nwb. I'm sorry, but you know you have got to do what your doc tells you. Keep me posted as to how you are feeling and getting about.
    Mary

Old 05-12-2007, 02:41 PM   #8
    sorefootsophie
    Veteran
    (female)

sorefootsophie HB User

Thank you SO MUCH to all of my healthboards friends! The support we receive here with others going through similar stories is so comforting! I had my post op appointment and now have my cast on. All of the stitches were removed and apart from slight swelling and bruising things look GREAT! I have my next appointment in 4 weeks. I have received and started to use the bone stimulator. It is the one that sends electrical impulses and I have to wear it (over the cast) for 3 hours a day. It has a patient compliance monitor (hahaha ) but I have already stressed that I want this healed more than they do so that will NOT be an issue!! Actually, it is good for me because if I comply and the site does not fuse....they have a money back guarantee! That in itself is worth the effort! I have a wheelchair again. It just makes things so much easier as I am home alone all day. The only issue is that my sciatic nerve seems to be acting up. I guess I will really have to start doing more stretching exercises. If anyone has any sciatic remedies I would sure appreciate it! Maybe I could ask the doctor for a massage Rx at the physical therapist! Only 7 weeks of nwb to go....I hope!

Sharon, If you read this would you please give me an update as I know you had a revision with a bone graft as well??

Wtwct, Good luck on the 16th! I'll be thinking of you!

Thanks again to everyone....I look forward to reading your messages and keeping up on how you are all doing! Sophie

Last edited by sorefootsophie; 05-12-2007 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Still can't spell!

Old 05-12-2007, 10:24 PM   #9
    imhdab
    (female)

imhdab HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Fusion revision surgery went very well!

Hope you're feeling better soon and things continue to go well!

~Heather

Old 05-13-2007, 06:18 PM   #10
    SoCalSharon
    (female)

SoCalSharon HB User

Hello Sophie and Everyone ,
    I'm glad to see the fusion buddies are all talking again. Sorry it's under these conditions for you though. I'm doing pretty well so I alternate between activity & rest. I feel less pain most days now and I can wear a few different styles of flats, I just need to choose carefully. I've been wearing a Lidocaine patch to ease the nerve pain on top of the plate which is still irritated. I'll see my pod in June when he'll order a cat scan to check for full fusion, he didn't want to even go to that extent until a full year, which will be July 24. Sometimes I wonder if it really is fusing, which I'm sure is only natural. My best advice would be for you to give it a full year before getting impatient too (sounds easy doesn't it ?). I'm really happy that it seems to have gone well. I'm also glad he has you NWB for awhile, we can't rush that as much as we'd like to. So kick (no pun intended) back and relax for the next several months, take it easy and no picking on yourself for not doing more. Healing a bone graft is doing plenty. I sure hope a year from now we're both talking about how we're fully fused and dancing the night away in Hawaii or somewhere exotic . Hope this helps and take care of yourself. I'll talk to you again soon.
    Sharon

Old 05-14-2007, 01:51 PM   #11
    dianelev
    (female)

dianelev HB User

Sophie,

That is wonderful! I am so happy for you that the surgery is over. I know the hard part- waiting, waiting..... is ahead for you and mentally that can be a challenge. I am really glad you have a bone stim, as I used that also after my revision in 2006. Just a silly thought, but one thing I also did is to visualize the bones "knitting" themselves together. Yes, it sounds stupid, but whatever works!
    I hope you have great results this time. Best of luck!

Diane

Closed Thread