It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Screw removal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-29-2007, 09:12 PM   #1
    Mambito67
    (female)

Mambito67 HB User
    Screw removal?

I had a post-op with my podiatrist today (I am 5 weeks post-op austin bunionectomy) and he said there is a good chance I will need to have the screw removed from the bone in a couple of weeks. It feels like there is a marble in the bottom of my foot, and the area where the screw was placed is still quite swolled and inflammed. It is very tender to the touch, and although he has given me the okay to walk "normal" and put my full wait on that part of my foot, I am still unable to because of the severe pain that I get when I try to.

Has anyone else had to have this done? He said it was a simple procedure and they would just have to make a small incision, but I have to admit I am not thrilled at the thought of them having to go back in there! Also, if the screw (which was supposed to be permanent...) is taken out, will my bunion come back? He had originally told me once I was completely healed, I would be able to wear whatever shoes I wanted (including heels), without fear that it would come back because the screw would be holding the bone in place.

He also gave me the okay to stop wearing the surgical shoe and to get into reasonable flats or flip flops, but I am unable to because my foot is far too swollen on the bottom to fit into them

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2007, 09:09 PM   #2
    BunionPatient
    (female)

BunionPatient HB User
    Re: Screw removal?

Hey, I was wandering how many screws do you have? I just had bunion surgery done one week ago and the doctor inserted two screws. They are also suppost to be permanent. I had my post-op X-Ray done today and the doctor noticed that one screw might become loose and bother me in the future. He says the procedure is simple too and if it bothers me he can take it out. For your case, I think since it is bothering you this much, you should definitley take the screw out. If you have another screw that is keeping the bone in place like mines, than taking out the screw that bothers you should be no problem. You should ask your doctor if the bunion will come back if you have the screw out too. Good luck with everything and let me know what happens!

Last edited by BunionPatient; 07-31-2007 at 09:10 PM.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:40 PM   #3
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User

hey guys.. my mom had her screws out and it was very easy. They told her to minimize her walking for a few days while the holes in the bones healed up but there was little pain involved.. certainly a cake walk compared to the bunion surgery! I've been lucky that mine have done ok.. I have 2 screws. As for whether the bunion will come back, all the screws do is hold the two pieces of bone together while they are healing so removing them won't change anything in regards to the bunion itself (unless maybe you have a specialized procedure) Once the bones are healed after your surgery, the screws actually serve no purpose. They are only "permanent" because it's more trouble to go in and take them out if they don't have to be removed.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:54 PM   #4
    BunionPatient
    (female)

BunionPatient HB User

Yeh that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Closed Thread