It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• New Shoes, New Orthotics!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-07-2007, 04:47 PM   #1
    debincalif
    (female)

debincalif HB Userdebincalif HB User
    Smile New Shoes, New Orthotics!

Who would have thought what a difference new shoes and new orthotics would make?!

Gosh, I'm almost 5 months post-op (calcaneal osteotomy and posterior tib tendon repair) and physical therapy is getting really brutal now. I'm still having a lot of trouble with balance and standing on one foot for anything. Strength is still a major issue as well.

I finally got my custom orthotics made - they're awesome! They have a graphite shank and a heel wedge to control the angle of varus/valgus of each heel.

I also just bought a new pair of tennies (I gave up on dress shoes for the moment). I went to a running store and found several pairs that control my over-pronation and that have medial roll bars built in for superior motion control. I ended up buying the shoes online because of my need for a narrow width. Well, they arrived yesterday and when I combined them with the new orthotics - wow!

The combination really seems to be making a difference in the small amount of walking I've been doing today. I can't wait to get back to physical therapy and see how my exercises go!

Just thought I'd share!

Deb

P.S. for those of you with similar problems as mine, check out shoes by New Balance and Brooks. They both have 2 or 3 models for over-pronation and motion control. The ones I got are Brooks "Addiction 7".

Last edited by debincalif; 08-07-2007 at 04:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
    monster bunion
    (female)

monster bunion HB User
    Re: New Shoes, New Orthotics!

Good for you on your new shoes and orthotics! Small victories can make a huge difference. Happy walking days are in store for you, congratulations!

Old 08-07-2007, 07:33 PM   #3
    dancergal19
    Veteran
    (female)

dancergal19 HB User

Congrats Deb!!!! and thank you for the sneaker suggestions! I need to get a new pair ASAP.

I totally agree with you about orthotics.. they are amazing and have even helped my lower back!

I'm still getting frustrated too with physical therapy because it's taking forever for my muscles to come back but it's nice to hear I'm not the only one.

Amy

Old 08-08-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
    sunny77
    (female)

sunny77 HB User

Deb,
    Now that your thread is gone, it's hard to keep up with how everyone is doing. Great to hear that the new shoes and orthotics are making such a difference! What's on our feet makes a big difference...but I'm preaching to the choir here! I'm not going to be in any dress shoes anytime soon either!

I agree with you Deb on PT getting harder...and it hurts, but not in a "bad" way, if that makes sense. The journey just keeps going and is getting old! I just want to be back doing the things I enjoy, like running and being more active (something outside of the stationary bike too!!). Sorry, had to whine a little.

On Monday I went in for my 10 wk post-op and it went really well. My dr was surprised at how well the osteotomy has healed already, as the x-rays showed. No more boot!! I have about 2 pairs of shoes I can wear--one is a Keen sandal (supportive all around and my dr approved them) and the other is a pair of running shoes. I asked about orthotics, but my dr said I don't need them, which surprised me a bit. He said he wants me to be able to wear whatever I want, including flip-flops, eventually and that part of why the surgery was done was so I wouldn't have to have "foot appliances" the rest of my life. Not sure what that means for my other foot...maybe will wear one orthotic in it when running. He said there was no proven way to stop PTTD, so if my other foot is going to go bad, it will regardless of what I do (as happened with my left foot). That was a sobering piece of news...not exactly what I wanted to hear! But, I trust him, he's done a good job with this and is very knowledgeable. I'm amazed at how it feels to have an arch, to walk on the outside of my foot, to supinate instead of overpronate.

Anyway, glad to hear how you're doing Deb! Good luck using the new gear in PT...hope it helps!
    Krista

Old 08-08-2007, 10:35 PM   #5
    debincalif
    (female)

Congrats, Krista, on ditching the boot! That's great! I posted a note to you on Mazzie's thread... Leslie started another thread so all of us PTTDers could check in.

Deb

Old 08-09-2007, 12:56 PM   #6
    mazzie46
    (female)

mazzie46 HB User

Congrats to you both of you ( Debs and Krista) Oh how jealous i am that your back walking in SHOES!!
    I was stuck in New balance trainers for months before my op, complete with orthotics made by the podiatrist. Its really interesting that your surgeon is saying you can wear any shoes Krista, i've been told i wont be able to wear anything not supportive, forever!! Sounds like you've healed really quickly though, and really well, so maybe thats why. You go for it girl!

Can you ladies tell me, did you or are you using a wobble matt in your PT? Its like a round rubber cushion thats partially blown up, its supposed to make all your foot exercise as you have to keep your balance on it. I'm not up to that yet, but its coming, so just wanted to know if it worked, and if it killed, coz it looks like it will.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:21 PM   #7
    sunny77
    (female)

sunny77 HB User

Mazzie,
    I can't wear whatever shoes I want yet...supposed to be in supportive shoes, but eventually he said I'll be able to wear whatever I want. I am healing well, but have a lot of work to do yet, something my PT keeps telling me (and I know this very well...I"m the one with the new foot!!). I haven't used a wobble mat, but have been on a BOSU ball (picture a swiss ball cut in half, flat on the bottom, full of gel like stuff) to work on balance and on a BABS board (this one hurts...move your foot in both directions on a circular shaped thing that's raised in the middle). It's good to get some ROM going early, as the foot has scar tissue that you want to break up and it can get stiff. Massaging the incisions gently is good too, as it reduces the sensitivity (ie, to rubbing) and helps reduce the scar tissue around it (thus flattening the scars). I was told to keep the scars out of the sun or they will tattoo on my skin...yikes! Just thought I'd pass that one along!
    Krista

Old 08-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #8
    mazzie46
    (female)

mazzie46 HB User

Krista

I think the wobble board is very similar to what you described. I know its important to get movement back asap...but i bet it really hurts??
    Thanks for the warning about the sun too...we were thinking of going to Spain in a few weeks....dependant on how i'm walking, but i'm not sure i could cope with flying like this.
    I'm getting married on 21st Sept aswell, so my main aim is to be able to walk up the aisle without the company of huge great boot! haha. Fat chance huh?

Old 08-09-2007, 05:47 PM   #9
    debincalif
    (female)

LOLOL - Mazzie, clearly I've already lost my mind as I'm responding to posts on your other thread!! Oh well - read your other thread.

Congratulations on getting married - I'm sure you'll be able to find something other than a BOOT to wear!

But as to the shoe conversation, I am also never (EVER) to wear a shoe without proper support again. I'm not even supposed to walk barefoot around the house. No flip-flops. I've been instructed to only wear shoes that have a rigid, built-up arch... or shoes with a removable insole that I can put my orthotics in.

Physical therapy was interesting today in my NEW SHOES and NEW ORTHOTICS. I'm not sure it was any easier to maintain balance, but I could feel different muscles in my foot working.

I guess I'm progressing well as I got to do 2 more new exercises today. One was on the elpitical machine - LOL - that machine is the DEVIL!!! I thought, *holy cow*, I'm going to die here and now! Sure drives home how out of shape I am!!

Gee, won't my life be dull when my foot has healed?!

Deb

Old 08-09-2007, 06:29 PM   #10
    mckesscl
    (female)

mckesscl HB User

Hi Mazzie:
    I can relate to your desire to be in a shoe/walking before your wedding. Although it wasn't foot surgery I had knee surgery 4 weeks before my wedding. My goal was to walk down the aisle without a cane or crutches. I was not allowed to wear any type of heel or 'weddign shoe". To make it a bit festive I took a pair of white leather tennis shoes (trainers as they're called in the UK), used tuille (spelling??) for the laces, and decorated them with lace, sequin wedding bells, etc. Just a suggestion.

Cyndi

Old 08-10-2007, 11:06 AM   #11
    mazzie46
    (female)

mazzie46 HB User

Hi Debs
    See i've proved my point that we'll all need "Therapy" at some point! Lol.

I'm not sure what we'll all do when our respective feet get better..... my man is so well trained now, he even does the food shopping, something i dearly hate!! When my foot gets better i'll have to find another reason NOT to go shopping!!

Any suggestions ladies??? We need to get the story right! Lol.

Glad your PT is going well, and your in new shoes! I guess any shoes are better than this awful boot!! I hope my PT doesnt have any of these torture devices!

Old 08-10-2007, 11:41 AM   #12
    mazzie46
    (female)

mazzie46 HB User

Cyndi

YOUR A GENIUS!! Thanks so much for that info, i would never of dreamed of doing that! If i can walk in trainers then i can just buy some white ones and put my orthotics in them, and then have great fun decorating!!

I had a much more ridiculous idea... if i was still in the boot, i thought i could get my dress maker to make a mini replica dress for the boot ( stick it on the velcro straps) , bit bigger than a garter belt huh??
    Seriously though, thanks again Cyndi, if i can get in trainers then thats definately what i shall do!

These boards are just invaluable!!

Mazzie

Old 08-10-2007, 04:53 PM   #13
    mckesscl
    (female)

mckesscl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mazzie46 View Post
    Cyndi

YOUR A GENIUS!! Thanks so much for that info, i would never of dreamed of doing that! If i can walk in trainers then i can just buy some white ones and put my orthotics in them, and then have great fun decorating!!

I had a much more ridiculous idea... if i was still in the boot, i thought i could get my dress maker to make a mini replica dress for the boot ( stick it on the velcro straps) , bit bigger than a garter belt huh??
    Seriously though, thanks again Cyndi, if i can get in trainers then thats definately what i shall do!

These boards are just invaluable!!

Mazzie
    HI Mazzie,
    I am glad I could help. I think my mother in-law about had a heart attack when she saw shoes however our wedding was so untraditional (it was a mixture of English/American traditions) that having untraditional shoes fit right in. However it was wonderful as I could walk down the aisle without the crutches or a cane.

Hint also, have bags of ice or ice packs already made up waiting for you after the ceremony, at the restaurant and behind the bar. After the wedding a dance or two, it's very nice to have them ready and quickly available. You don't want to wait while people are trying to scramble around trying to make an ice pack. (White wine also helps with pain! )

Congratulations on your wedding!

Cyndi

Old 08-11-2007, 03:33 PM   #14
    mazzie46
    (female)

mazzie46 HB User

Cyndi
    Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I'll make sure there are some ice packs ready after ceremony, to be on the safe side. We too are having a non traditional wedding, so nothing should be a surprise....Hopefully!!
    I've been looking for trainers today, and i think as long as they have removable insoles ( to replace with orthotics) then it should be fine.

So great to hear others ideas, where would we all be without them i wonder!

Mazzie

Old 08-15-2007, 02:58 PM   #15
    debincalif
    (female)

Well, back to the orthopedist I go...

I thought I was doing well with my new shoes & new orthotics, but over the past week I've noticed my foot getting progressively more sore and with a pronounced swelling just over and slightly in front of my osteotomy site. My outer ankle has started getting a sharp pain, and the bottom of my heel is hurting now... and I'm not one bit happy about this new pain. I'm actually walking worse than I was before getting the new gear.

I can't imagine it's anything from physical therapy; I've only started a couple new exercises lately and they don't feel like they're aggravating anything. Plus my therapist is really careful with what he has me do. He's been with me through this whole journey of over a year now!

So I called the orthopedist who made the orthotics; I go see him on Friday morning, and I see my podiatrist Friday afternoon. I sure hope someone has some answers for me!

Anyone have any similar experiences?

Deb

Closed Thread