It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Exercise following double bunionectomy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-07-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
    NoFootNoHorse
    (female)

NoFootNoHorse HB User
    Question Exercise following double bunionectomy?

I'm scheduled for my first of two bunionectomies (two weeks apart) in ten days. I am a runner and am more than a little concerned about being sedentary as I recover from the surgeries. My pre-op appointment isn't until next Monday.

What should I expect with regard to exercise after my surgeries? Is it safe to assume that I'll at least be able to swim? If so, at what point could I get in a pool? After the stitches are out, or would I have to wait longer than that?

Are there any other exercises that worked for you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
    monster bunion
    (female)

monster bunion HB User
    Re: Exercise following double bunionectomy?

Do you know the names of your bunionectomies that you are going to have?
    I could be wrong, but after reading a lot of bunionectomy posts, in general,
    it is advised to stay in bed the first week at least with your foot iced and elevated. I had one of the more invasive bunionectomies and the less you move, the better for your foot. If you are going to have two bunionectomies two weeks apart, it sounds like the less invasive procedures. Even if you get your stitches out, the wound is still healing and chlorine from the pool would probably not be a good thing. I had a four inch scar that took about six weeks to heal completely. Good luck to you.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:08 AM   #3
    NoFootNoHorse
    (female)

NoFootNoHorse HB User

Hi, I'm scheduled for "Chevron bunionectomies w/ t screw fixation and possible Aiken" so they would be rather invasive, no?

I figure it will be some time before I can exercise, so rest, ice, and elevation will be important for the first month or so. But, I wonder how long one typically must wait before introducing some sort of exercise again. Any ideas?

Old 08-08-2007, 05:51 AM   #4
    Zardtoe
    (female)

Zardtoe HB User

Hi, I had a similar procedure, and my incision didn't heal up completely until about 4 weeks out. It was still pretty tender and swolled for another couple weeks, but I probably got in the pool about 6 weeks out, and I felt fine. For me one of the limiting factors was walking out from the locker room to the water! I sort of hobbled on my heel. It did feel good to get some exercise, and other people had said swimming was great after the surgery. You'll not want to flop your foot around a lot, but just moving the toe in the water will start your PT! Good luck!

Old 08-08-2007, 02:52 PM   #5
    KathJack
    (female)

KathJack HB User

Just out of curiosity-- If your bunion surgeries are only going to be two weeks apart, why are you not having them done at the same time? I had a double bunionectomy last year and it worked very well for me. For two weeks I needed to keep my feet elevated and iced most of the time-- I was glad to get that over with; I would have hated to finally be able to start getting up and around just to start all over again with surgery, side effects, laying around, being dependent on family, etc. I was able to start walking at two weeks, but my stitches weren't totally dissolved or the incisions completely healed. I didn't try to swim because it wasn't convenient, but think that I probably could have at about a month. At that point I was pretty much pain free and able to walk around the block. By eight weeks, I could walk at least a mile and felt that life was pretty much back to normal. Best wishes for good surgeries and recovery!

Old 08-08-2007, 03:06 PM   #6
    NoFootNoHorse
    (female)

NoFootNoHorse HB User

lol - oh, trust me, I batted my eyelashes at him and pretty much begged to have them done at the same time.

The reason for staggering the surgeries two weeks is because he said that he wanted me to have the ability to put weight on at least one foot after the first surgery and said that two weeks apart seems to work well for his patients. Also said that the key to recovery is elevation and ice for several days after each surgery, so I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to sit still. I'm dreading that aspect of it.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:46 PM   #7
    KathJack
    (female)

KathJack HB User

[QUOTE=NoFootNoHorse;3144345] Also said that the key to recovery is elevation and ice for several days after each surgery QUOTE]

Several Days? -- My guess is more like a week minimum. Even if you can get around on one good foot, you most likely won't want to be standing or walking much anyway. I kept my feet elevated almost 100% of the first week (Just up to go to the bathroom) and about 75% the second week. I think the extensive elevation and icing was key to my relatively quick, and ultimately total, recovery. But it does seem like doctors don't like to do both feet in one surgery-- My guess is that it has as much to do with their own issues as the patient's. I would say that having a double bunionectomy shouldn't be attempted by anyone who does not have someone staying at home with them with them to assist if necessary. My need for help was kept to a minimum by having a small fridge (like in college dorm rooms-- mine had belonged to my son before he transfered to a school far away; it was the larger style so it had a good freezer section) right beside my bed. I could get my own fresh ice packs, drinks, snacks, etc. with no effort. Shoulda kept a microwave on it-- then maybe I could have been even more independent! Haha. Having a toilet close at hand also helps-- not that you can do much to arrange that if the bathroom is not nearby (unless you're willing to use a portapotty). One more thing-- if you're going to be elevating for weeks, I'd also suggest sitting in an innertube periodically-- Having your foot/feet up can put pressure on your tail bone; until I got the inner tube, my butt sometimes hurt more than my feet! Good luck.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #8
    Mambito67
    (female)

Mambito67 HB User

I am 11 weeks post-op left austin bunionectomy with screw fixation. After 8 weeks, my doctor gave me the okay to do whatever I wanted and told me just to stop if it hurt. I usually exercise on an elliptical, but it hurts my foot too much to do that now. I just bought a recumbant bike, and that has been great! No impact on my foot, but I am still getting my exercise in. I would say to plan on at least 6-8 weeks before being able to resume exercising. Good luck!

Old 08-17-2007, 07:05 PM   #9
    NoFootNoHorse
    (female)

NoFootNoHorse HB User

Update: Well, I had my first bunionectomy this morning and it seems to have gone well. So far I'm in no pain, but fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Rest, Ice, and Elevation are my friends.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:03 AM   #10
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

congratulations and i hbet the next one will go well!!

Closed Thread