It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Dancers: Feedback on Lapidus and MTJ debridement

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2007, 02:33 PM   #1
    allthatjazzgrl
    Inactive
    (female)

allthatjazzgrl HB User
    Dancers: Feedback on Lapidus and MTJ debridement

Hi, I am a former ballet & jazz dancer with what I thought was hallux rigidus & dorsal bunion. Foot seems flattter as years go by. Conservative Pod recommended cheillectomy only. Ortho Sur. recommeded Lapidus with MTJ debridement b/c it would reposition joint and prevent recurrence. He thinks I have a fair amt of cartilege left so makes sense. I am leaning toward Ortho's suggestion b/c I want it fixed and to last.

Are any of you dancers who have had similar surgery who have tried to return to dancing as hobby? I can't turn, jump or releve with my foot the way it is now. Any chance of improvement would be worth it. I am not convinced ortho knows how much dance means to me, but he is an excellent foot surgeon.

Already use rocker soles, orthotics, dancers pad, metatarsal gel pad, physio, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by allthatjazzgrl; 08-10-2007 at 02:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
    monster bunion
    (female)

monster bunion HB User
    Re: Dancers: Feedback on Lapidus and MTJ debridement

I am not a dancer, but I have had the Lapidus procedure bunionectomy. I'm not sure what MTJ debridement is. My podiatrist told me that I would not be able to flex my foot all the way downward like before and would only matter if I were a ballet dancer. I hope your orthopedic doctor let you know that the Lapidus procedure is the big surgery which involves a major weight-being joint in your foot and you will likely be in a cast for 6 to 8 weeks. I had to have the Lapidus procedure because I had a bad bunion and hypermobile first ray. I had bad bunion pain and couldn't walk, so surgery was the only option for me. Good luck on your decision.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:15 AM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Do you actually have a malformation of the bone structure? Or is what you called a dorsal bunion actually just a bump on the top where the rubbing together of the joint has pushed bone up to form the bump? I had the second case along with chips and spurs. (FYI, Monster Bunion, debridement just means cleaning out).

The did a cheilectomy (cleaning out of the chips and grinding off the spurs) along with shaving the bone bump down and angling the cut (osteotomy) so that the joint could move properly. They also drilled holes in the cartilege to promote growth.

I had a wonderful outcome. Mobile the whole time - walked on it in a surgical shoe. Sutures out at two weeks - started exercises in earnest at that point.
    Danced after 3-1/2 weeks (but in my Merrell mules with duct tape on the bottom so I could slide!). That was 5 years ago and I dance, jog, do whatever I want. 3 inch heels are out but that's about it on the negative side.

If I were you, I'd ask more questions of both docs.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:01 AM   #4
    allthatjazzgrl
    Inactive
    (female)

allthatjazzgrl HB User

Thanks for replying. I have been investigating this for a long time. I think what he wants to do is to see (while in surgery) how far the joint can sit in the proper place after the tarsal fusion and joint debridement (essentially cheillectomy) before deciding how much of the of dosal bunion to shave off. Essentially I will have the tarsal fusion (because my arch is shot) and cheillectomy but not the osteotomy that you had. Healing the fusion is what takes so long, but I am up for it, if I get a better and longer lasting outcome. I think he is being honest with me when I ask questions such as "will I be able to wear normal shoes again" and he says that he doesn't know. Other patients have raved about him, but of course, every outcome is different. His description may explain why my foot swells on the top over my arch. Did yours do that?

Old 08-12-2007, 09:36 AM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

No...but i just had the straightforward hallux limitus with no other complications. Too many years of running and wearing 3" heels was all I had to blame it on! Of course, I am running again but only wear 2" heels now.....

Closed Thread