It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Long term casting-plantar fasciitis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-07-2001, 09:45 PM   #1
    jsfrazier

jsfrazier HB User
    Post Long term casting-plantar fasciitis

I have plantar fasciitis. I have tried everything, now I'm in a cast for 2 months. Has anyone ever done long term casting for plantar fasciitis and did it work????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2001, 07:56 AM   #2
    Carey
    Inactive
    (female)

Carey HB User
    Smile

Hi,

I put up with plantar fasciitis for seven years (it started when i was 12 yrs old). My arches are extremely high causing the problem in the first place, and i tried every conservative treatment under the sun from 5 pairs of orthotics to massage and taping etc. I am now 21 and 2 years ago I had surgery to release the plantar fascias in both feet as i was getting to the point where my toes would curl under because of the extreme tightness from the plantar fascia.

The surgery was a complete success and i hven't looked back since. I wish i had it done sooner.

Take care,
    Carey

Do not post email addresses.

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 08-06-2002).]

Old 08-18-2001, 11:40 AM   #3
    Harbee

Harbee HB User
    Plantar fasciitis is microtearing of the fascia (foot muscle) at or near its attachment to the bone. This is often caused by repetitive overloading of the tissue. Common treatment for this condition is rest, ice massage, stretching and strengthening of the muscles in the foot and ankle. Surgery and orthotics are another solution, but may be only temporary fixes before recurrence. When you are out of the cast, try stretching exercises for the calf and fascia itself. Placing your toe against a wall and leaning slightly forward is a good stretch. Also, while sitting, use a towel or band to pull back against your toes to stretch, then push the toes forward against the resistance incurred by your arms, and repeat. I think this in conjuction with a regular low impact (cycling, swimming) exercise program is going to be your best solution for prevention of future occurences. I've worked with many clients with plantar fasciitis and the guidelines I have given to you here have shown great results with those clients.

Good luck!

Closed Thread