It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• bunion surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-19-2001, 01:31 PM   #1
    georgiagirl

georgiagirl HB User
    Question bunion surgery

Hi there,
    I have been reading some recent posts about bunion surgery and I have some questions! I am working with an Orthopedic Surgeon to have both feet operated on, but one at a time. I have pretty bad bunions on both feet, so I will have the bunion removed, as well as the bone cut and realigned with a pin and screws. I am tentatively scheduled to have the first foot done on December 20th, 2001. I am getting married on May 18th, 2002. I know different people recover at different rates, but I was wondering what some of you that have been there think of me doing this so close to the wedding? My doc tells me recover is 6-8 weeks. How correct is that time frame? He says I will be in a cast for the first 6 weeks. I go back and forth with this and just want to make the right decision. My feet hurt pretty bad after being on them a few hours, so I was hoping the surgery would reduce that pain significantly by the wedding. Also, are you really able to wear heels at some point after the surgery? I wear boots with a heel now, but they can be pretty uncomfortable. I would like to wear them in the future without pain! Any opinions or personal experiences will be so helpful and appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2001, 05:31 AM   #2
    ana_24

ana_24 HB User
    Hello!

If you're worried about not recovering in time for the wedding, then don't! You will be fine by then. I had my surgery two months ago and I'm already in normal shoes (not heels though) but I do expect to wear heels in about a month. I actually tried putting my foot in one last night and it was ok... not exactly comfortable but not painful either.

The 6 to 8 week time frame is somewhat accurate depending on how you definte recovery. You will not be fully healed in 6 to 8 weeks. You will be able to wear a running shoe or other comfortable shoes and you will be able to walk with a small limp but you will not be able to walk for long distances or run. However, by May you will be fully recovered.

I had the same type of surgery you will have and I feel like I am about 80% recovered at this point.

Are you planning to have both feet done before the wedding or just one? If you're going to have both feet operated on but separately, then I would suggest doing it as close together as you feel comfortable.

I guess what I'm saying is that you will be fully recovered by May if you just operate on one foot but if you do both, then the second foot might not be 100%.

Good luck and don't be afraid. It's actually not a painful procedure and the results are fairly good.

Let me know how it goes..
    Ana

Old 11-23-2001, 03:23 PM   #3
    Pupsandwich

Pupsandwich HB User
    Hey Gorgiagirl!

I am also scheduled for surgery on the 21th of december. I am going for bunion, hammertoes and heel spurse surgery. Getting everything done on that day. Not really sure what to expect. I can't find any good sites that has testimonials of people and their experience with it. I am also getting the screws. I am real nervous too!

Take care
    Christie

Old 11-26-2001, 06:48 AM   #4
    georgiagirl

georgiagirl HB User
    Thanks for your responses! I guess I have just put it off for so long. Now that I have decided to actually fix it, I am nervous! The timing is pretty bad (wedding) but otherwise, I am anxious to get it over with. Ana, can you feel the screws in your foot? I have read that some people feel stiff with the screws and have them removed. Are you going to remove them? Or do they not bother you? I am going to have one foot done on December 20th. Then we'll see about the other foot. I am only taking off 2 weeks to do this, so I will be back to work on the 3rd week. I guess if recovery goes well, I will consider the other foot. How soon after could you drive your car?
    Thanks again for responding. Also, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

Old 11-26-2001, 07:16 AM   #5
    ana_24

ana_24 HB User
    Hello again!

To answer your question about the screws, I had mine removed three weeks ago, 5 weeks after the surgery. I couldn't really feel them but I did notice that the foot was a lot less stiff the day after they were taken out. So I would advise you to remove them as soon as possible because it speeds up your recovery. Plus, it's just a minor incision and you can go back to work the next day with a small bandade on your foot.

Don't be anxious.. Just have one foot done, see how you recover and then decide if you want to get the other one done before or after the wedding.

Two weeks off is a great idea. I came back to work after 10 days.

I am 24 by the way.

Let me know if you have any more questions and I'd be happy to answer them.

Ana

Old 11-26-2001, 07:18 AM   #6
    ana_24

ana_24 HB User
    I forgot to answer your question about driving. I drove an automatic car pretty much immediately because I had my left foot done but I was back to my standard car in 2 weeks. I mainly used my heel to push the clutch in. Kind of uncomfortable for the first week but smooth sailing after.

Today I am wearing heels! It feels great and I'm no longer limping so I guess you could say i'm now back to normal, exactly 2 months after the surgery. It may take longer for other people though. I'm young and tend to heal quickly.

Old 11-26-2001, 10:33 AM   #7
    georgiagirl

georgiagirl HB User
    Thanks so much for all your information. I am 28, so although I feel old, I guess I am still young! Hopefully I will have as good an experience as you did. I have an automatic car also, but I am having my right foot done first. One more question, were you in a cast right after surgery or were you just bandaged? And did you only have the problem in one foot or both? If both, are you going to have the other one done too? Congrats on the heels!!! That is great!!!

Old 11-26-2001, 11:23 AM   #8
    ana_24

ana_24 HB User
    I didn't have a hard cast. I had something called a soft cast which basically just means a lot of bandages. It was pretty bulky but my toes weren't covered.. mainly the area around the foot. After 3 weeks (should have been two but they couldn't get me an appt.) I went in to remove the stitches. At that point they dressed the foot again but it was a little less bulky. After about a week, one month after the surgery, I removed some of the dressings and rebandaged it myself. Probably not something you should do but I didn't feel the need for all that bulkiness since my foot felt fine. Then, a week and a half after that, I removed the bandages completely and finally soaked the foot. A couple of days later I went in for the screw removal surgery and after that I didn't have any dressings, just a bandade for a couple of days. I asked for disolvable stitches so that I wouldn't have to go in again. I took them out myself. I only had two stitches in an X to cover the incision and I pulled them off after 5 days.
    I hope that timeline helps you a little. Again, everyone's different. Are you just having the bunion done or other things as well.. ie hammer toe, etc.
    I only had the bunion.

My right foot also has a bunion but it's not so bad. I will probably wait a couple of years and do it then. First I want to see how this foot turns out in the long run. I'm hoping that the bunion doesn't come back but you never know. If it holds out well, then I'll definitely have the other one done. Esthetically, it makes a big difference.

About the car, I would say that you should be ok to drive after 2 to 3 weeks.

Are you going under general or local? I had general because that was the only way they did it at my hospital. I'm glad now because I didn't feel anything and they also gave me some local shots which pretty much froze my foot for about 24 hours after the surgery which is when the major pain is supposed to kick in.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm so glad I did it and you will be too!

Old 11-26-2001, 11:56 AM   #9
    georgiagirl

georgiagirl HB User
    Hi Ana,
    I am having general anesthesia also. My doc didn't give me the option to do local anesthesia. How did you feel right when you came out of it? I have only been under once when I had my wisdom teeth pulled, and it wasn't too bad. I am only having the bunion removed and the bones realigned. No hammertoes or anything else! I thought my doctor said I would be in a cast for 6 weeks, but maybe he meant a soft cast. We'll see. Do your old shoes still fit your new foot? I bet you are so happy to have it over with! I can't wait until I am there!! I hope I have as good of an experience as you did!

Old 11-26-2001, 12:29 PM   #10
    ana_24

ana_24 HB User
    I actually didn't feel to bad when I came out of it. My throat was a little sore from the tube but other than that, just a little disoriented. I was fine and ready to go in about an hour but when I got up to use the washroom, I kind of hopped to the room and that made me throw up. If I hadn't done that, I'm sure I would have been fine.
    The second time, for the screw removal, I was totally fine. I was so awake and chipper that they let me leave an hour earlier than they normally would. Everyone reacts differently to anesthesia I guess..
    The shoes fit fine, the bunion no longer pokes out through the side of the shoe so I guess they fit better than ever. I didn't have the problem of the shoe being too big so that's good.

Old 11-26-2001, 12:42 PM   #11
    Lisa35

Lisa35 HB User
    Hi. I had bunion surgery years ago on both feet. It sounds like you're having the same surgery as I did but I was not in a cast at all. They put gauze around my foot and I had to wear a big sandle type cast (not explaining this very well). It fits around your foot so it's protected.

I got surgery on one foot at a time. Are you doing both feet at the same time? If you are, I'd say you're fine for your wedding but if you're doing yoru feet separetely, I'd talk to your doctor more about it. I'd say in about 4 to 6 weeks I was out walking around but careful that nobody bumped my foot. It's tender for awhile and it sure does hurt if somebody bumps it or steps on your foot.

And you can definitely wear high heels. I wear them all the time since I'm only 5 ft. And I have no problems and no bunions coming back. I also wear orthodics in my sneakers and some other shoes but don't wear them all the time since they don't fit in some of the shoes I choose to wear. For example, sandals.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-28-2001, 06:44 AM   #12
    tripod

tripod HB User
    I had bunion and forefoot reconstruction and joint replacement on Aug 6. The surgery went very well, but I am still not back to work full time and taking physical therapy. I think this is mostly due to me being 50 and menopausal, I heal slower. I wish I had had the surgery done 15 years ago, so my best advise to you is to go for both feet as soon as you can. My Dr told me that munro makes a dress shoe that is attractive and recomended for people who have had surgery.

Old 11-28-2001, 08:40 AM   #13
    georgiagirl

georgiagirl HB User
    Hi everyone,
    Thanks to you all for your responses, I feel much better knowing about your experiences with this! I am scheduled for surgery on one foot on December 20th. The other foot I will have done as soon as possible depending on how the first one goes. One thing I meant to ask you, were you all put under genderal anesthesia? I have heard of people having it done with an epidural? Anyone have an epidural?
    Anyway, thanks again, and if you are interested, I will update you periodically!

Old 11-30-2001, 10:19 AM   #14
    tripod

tripod HB User
    I had a spinal after 3 other surgeries with general anesthesia. The new spinals are done higher up on the spine and so have almost no side effects. They put something else in it to make me sleepy too. When I woke up I had no headache or nausea at all. I would do it again.

Old 12-08-2001, 09:04 PM   #15
    Alady

Alady HB User
    I was wondering if the post op shoes are hard to walk with or are they reasonably comfortable? do they come in nice colors
    Also how long before you can paint your toe nails after having this type of surgery

Closed Thread