It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• flat feet

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2003, 07:39 AM   #1
    jws_459

jws_459 HB User
    Post flat feet

For about the last year or so I have had pain in the upper part of my left knee, my hip and lower back, all the pain is only on my left side. I finally went to the doctor a couple weeks ago, there is nothing wrong with my knee, hip, or back according to the x-rays. He gave me an anti-inflamatory which helped some, but he does not want me to be on it for the rest of my life. I am only 20. Anyway, he was going to send me to an orthopedic doctor and then asked if I had flat feet. He looked at them and said he is sending me tp a podiatrist instead, he thinks orthotics would solve my problem. He is fairly confident my flat feet are causing the aching in my knee, back, and hip. Would flat feet cause pain in these areas and only on one side? My right side feels fine. I know I have flat feet and have had them since I was a kid. I know that if I do a lot of running my arches feel like they are tearing apart and I can hardly walk. I have not had this since I quit playing basketball, but it was very painful. He said there is over the counter insoles, but they really don't help and since the pain has been there for some time he thinks I need orthotics. I will make an appoinment to go to the podiatrist, but would like some feedback from people who have flat feet and if they cause pain in the knee, lower back and hip?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2003, 01:09 AM   #2
    lu1959

lu1959 HB User
    I have flat, prolapsed feet. I now also have collapsed bones. I'm 43 and they have been giving me grief for the last 10 years.

I have had knee pain and been in physical therapy for it. I had a lot of problems when I tried to do arobics 15-20 years ago. I was diagnosed with ??sorry I can't remember, but it was the mechanics in knee not working right as a result of my feet and the way I stand. I had to do excersizes for awhile to stop the pain, and started wearing orthodics. I seldom have knee pain anymore, and nothing unbearable when I do.

I am having major back problems and my hips ache sometimes, although I think that is from the back. I don't know if this is why I am having these problems,but I have a feeling it has contributed.

I would strongly suggest you get into some orthodics, so you are standing correctly. The down side is that once you start I believe you are kind of locked in, as your knees may ache if you don't wear them. Mine do. I wear shoes almost all the time.

Closed Thread