It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Chevron Bunionectomy -- Please Share Your Post-Op Experiences

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-25-2007, 09:21 AM   #1
    sevillana
    (female)

sevillana HB User
    Chevron Bunionectomy -- Please Share Your Post-Op Experiences

Thanks for reading.

I'm thinking about having a bilateral bunionectomy in Jan, 08 and I have a ton of questions. It certainly sounds like a long recovery process and it scares me. Of course, I realize that everyone is different. I am such an active person and I do not look forward to the inactivity at all. If anyone has had the surgery and doesn't mind sharing experiences, it would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some of my (many!) questions:

- If you also had both feet done at once, how did you get around during the first few days? Would you recommend crutches? I'm thinking of using a rolling office chair or wheelchair in the apartment. I can't see how crutches would work with two bad feet.
    - How did you get in the bathtub, for example?
    - How was sleeping? Could you sleep on your side at all?
    - By week 3, were you able to go to the kitchen and make a quick meal for yourself? I'm just trying to figure out how long I should have one of my parents come stay with me. Right now, we're thinking my Dad will stay with me for the first 2 weeks, and after he leaves, I will have to rely on friends/neighbors here and there. Do you think that would be OK?
    - How is your toe flexibility now? Are you be able to do lunges and push-ups, etc.?

Thanks so much for your time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2007, 09:58 AM   #2
    wifeofa31sierra
    (female)

wifeofa31sierra HB User
    Re: Chevron Bunionectomy -- Please Share Your Post-Op Experiences

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by wifeofa31sierra; 02-16-2008 at 06:14 PM.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:09 AM   #3
    rbright
    (female)

rbright HB User

thanks for the out look. But how bad was the pain?

Old 10-25-2007, 06:24 PM   #4
    misfish90
    (female)

misfish90 HB User

If you were just having one foot done, I'd stay you would be absolutely fine on your own after 2 weeks. But with both...? Hopefully someone else will chime in with their own experience.

I can tell you that for the first 10-12 days I felt like I was recovering from surgery--the anaesthetic really does me in. After that, I felt like I was just dealing with a bum foot. I could walk on my heel without too much trouble by the 3rd week so I did OK as long as I took it easy.

My pain wasn't too bad after my bunionectomy. Generally high doses of Ibuprofen did the trick for me but I did have Vicoden as an option.

Bathing is a challenge, no doubt. I just soaked with my foot hanging over the side of the tub covered in a plastic bag just in case and was always a little nervous in the shower without the support of a shoe until the bone healed.

I'm a year out and have pretty much full range of motion in the toe. Can I do lunges, sure! Push-ups? Sorry I'm not willing to try that one. I jammed my toe at 6 months post-op (um...ouch!) and the nail is still growing back in.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:47 PM   #5
    KathJack
    (female)

KathJack HB User

I had a bilateral bunionectomy last year. The recovery process varies tremendously depending on the severity of your bunions, the kind of procedure you have, and your doctor’s philosophy. I wore the surgical sandals and could walk in them without crutches—slowly and carefully—I was like a robot. The shoes do not allow your toes to bend, so you don’t have to worry. The first week I only walked to the bathroom connected to my bedroom. The second week I walked to the kitchen, living room, etc. I could stand long enough to take something out of the fridge and put it in the microwave, but I wouldn’t have like to be standing chopping vegetables for an extended period of time. I wasn’t supposed to get my stitches wet for two weeks and didn’t want to spend money on expensive devises to keep my feet dry for such a short time, so I just sponge-bathed. Since I wasn’t up and around getting sweaty, it wasn’t a big deal. To keep my hair clean, I knelt on a chair and washed it in the kitchen sink—My husband and son helped me do it the first week. I have to say though-- it was a happy day when I could take a shower! I was not able to sleep on my side for at least the first week because I elevated my feet even during the night. My pain pills made me drowsy, so that helped me with sleeping on my back, which I was not used to. The whole experience was fatiguing, so sleep was not a big problem. By week three, I was told to ditch the surgical shoes and wear extra wide gym shoes (to accommodate swelling); also that I could walk as much as was comfortable. And yes, that would include going to the kitchen and making a quick meal. I think two weeks would be long enough for your dad to stay with you if you have other people you can call on when needed. My feet are very flexible now. I’m quite active (waking, some running, biking, cross-country skiing, ice-skating, etc.). I can stand on my toes, do lunges, etc. I’m not into push-ups; however I tried one just now to test it out. No problem with my feet, but my arms were another story… I think I need to start working on upper body strengthening! I hope you make the best decision for your situation and that it goes well.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:17 PM   #6
    wifeofa31sierra
    (female)

wifeofa31sierra HB User

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by wifeofa31sierra; 02-16-2008 at 06:13 PM.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:09 AM   #7
    sevillana
    (female)

sevillana HB User

Thanks to all of you for your helpful responses. It sounds like I should get some cushion pillows for my chairs in preparation for lots of kneeling!

Kathjack:

I figured it would be hard to sleep on my side. I guess it's just part of it.

So 2 weeks should be sufficient for my Dad to come out, eh? Hopefully after 2 weeks I will be ready to see him go because I'll be mobile enough on my own and not because he'll be driving me nuts.

What about buying shoes? Should I try to buy a pair of wide gym shoes now so that they are in the apartment as soon as I can start wearing shoes? Or should I go out and get a pair after the surgery (which might be a pain to do), once my feet are in their new and improved shape?

And good news on the lunges and push-ups! No worries on the upper body. I, too, am weak in that area, but have recently been trying to work on it, explaining my slight obsession with being able to continue doing push-ups (eventually).

Thanks, again!

Closed Thread