It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Has anyone had bunion and hammertoe repair this extensive?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2003, 09:02 PM   #1
    mjcroft1955

mjcroft1955 HB User
    Unhappy Has anyone had bunion and hammertoe repair this extensive?

I am having repeat surgery. My first surgey was 14 years ago...I had both feet done, 4 bunions repaired and w/ osteotomies. I had removable pins inserted where the first metatarsal had the chevron cut.
    A year after that my little toes were developing corns between them and 4th toes, so the second and third surgeries were to remove the joints in the little toes. My right one continued to have this problem so I had my little toe actually sewn to the next toe to prevent the friction causing the corns.(they were deep and painful)
    After that I did well.
    I was told the surgery would probably need to be redone in 10 years or so because my tendons are so loose (double jointed), and sure enough that is about when I noticed the bunion on my right foot coming back. I have put off and put off, tried orthotics as an alternative to more surgery but am biting the bullet and going for the gold.
    This go-round it seems to be much worse. My first metatarsal and toe joint will have to be straightened in 3 or 4 places with titanium screws placed to permanantly hold the bone straight. The next 3 toes are bad hammertoes ( the second toe actually twists to the left and sits on top of my big toe). They all three turn to the left. He is going to release the tendons on all three, shortenen them slightly, and fuse the joints to straighten out the "claw" part tof the hammertoe. Then the bone on the outside of my foot that looks like a bunionette, just need to be shaved down and polished up becaise it has built up rough bone on the outside of the bone.
    What I am reading on the internet is that nowadays they don't give much pain medication . With my first double foot surgery I was in the hospital on a morphine pump for 4 days and was sent home in a wheelchair with a script for demerol, restoril(to sleep), valium,(so I would not get antsy from staying off my feet completely and darvocette.
    I hear people saying Tylenol 3 and maybe toredol, but heck...they may as well be sugar pills for all that stuff does for me. With foot reconstruction like I am having, don't they give you stronger pain meds? Narcotics make me sick as a dog, but I have found that phenergan to go along with it prevents the nausea.
    Has anyone else had surgery this extensive?
    The Dr. said it would take me 6 months to a year to really heal and feel better.
    Let me know what your experiences have been;-)
    Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread