It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Hallux rigidus, haglund's and clawtoes....surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-11-2003, 02:36 PM   #1
    jonas

jonas HB User
    Post Hallux rigidus, haglund's and clawtoes....surgery?

Hi,

I have hallux rigidus, haglunds deformity and 2,3,4 claw toes and 5th toe bunions on both feet...in addition to plantar fascitis...yay me! I wear orthotics which help a bit for the PF but nothing else.

Anyway....the following has been recommended:

1. Metatarsal osteotomy/cheilectomy to lower my elevated metatarsal and restore 1st MTPJ mobility. K-wires removed at 6 weeks.

2. Arthrodesis of 2,3,4 d.i.p and p.i.p. with tendon release. Pins removed at 6 weeks.

3. Shaving off of Haglund's deformity...no achilles involvement I've been told.

4. Shaving off of 5th toe bunions.

One foot at a time 8 weeks healing per foot supposedly. My feet hurt like crap! I've been to 5 docs and gotten 2 (podiatrists) of the 5 to agree...2 others (orthopedists) said DONT do anything and DEAL with it and one had another surgery in mind! So much for a second opinion helping eh? So...

If anyone has had these procedures could you recommend anything? I am a firefighter so dont want to return to work too early and jeapordize the results...is the 8 weeks realistic? I want to have normal biomechanical function so my hips, knees and back will stop hurting as well. Will this fix the problem or just create new ones?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by jonas (edited 07-11-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2003, 04:13 PM   #2
    tpalmer

tpalmer HB User
    Hi, Jonas. Your potential procedure sounds more extensive than what I had, but maybe my experience will help. I had reconstructive foot surgery on May 9 (two mid-foot osteotomies, calcaneal osteotomy, clawtoe correction, and bone spur removed) on my right foot. I'll have the left one done when the right one can bear appropriate weight. I was in a non-weight bearing cast for 8 weeks. (Pins came out at 7 weeks.) As of three days ago, I could start bearing weight. I just have a feeling, judging from the sheer pain that weight causes, that it's going to take several more weeks at least to get to a point where I can walk anywhere close to normal. I'm still using crutches, but trying to put a bit more pressure on it each day. Like I said, your procedure sounds more extensive, but maybe mine will help give you an idea of what it might entail in terms of recovery. Best of luck. Please let me know what you decide.

Old 07-11-2003, 04:23 PM   #3
    tpalmer

tpalmer HB User
    Jonas, by the way -- my feet hurt constantly, too. Made it very unpleasant to hike, backpack, play ball with my sons, jog, etc. The goal of my procedures is to provide proper foot function for the first time in my life. It hasn't been fun, but I'm glad I'm doing it. Life's too short to suffer through it with miserable feet...

Old 07-15-2003, 08:59 AM   #4
    jonas

jonas HB User
    Thanks Tpalmer,

What kind of recovery time were you told to expect VS what is really the case?

And is there NOBODY else out there that has had or is considering a similar process as I am!?!?!?!

Old 07-15-2003, 12:02 PM   #5
    tpalmer

tpalmer HB User
    Jonas, my doctor's a straight shooter, and he's told me from the get-go that it will take several months for my foot to really heal, and I'm up to having the other foot done. I just got rid of the walking cast today and went into a tennis shoe -- and it's so much more comfortable. Still using one crutch; he figures I'll need it for one to two more weeks (which means a total of about 10 weeks relying on crutches in some form). The sorest part of my foot is the heel, as a result of the calcaneal osteotomy. I hope you find someone out there who's gone through something similar to what you're facing so your questions are answered. Take care.

Old 07-21-2003, 10:06 PM   #6
    jonas

jonas HB User
    No one has had a distal metatarsal osteotomy for hallux rigidus?!?!?!?! Come on....

Closed Thread