It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• bunion surgery - 6 weeks post op - swelling question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-23-2003, 09:22 AM   #1
    crutches

crutches HB User
    Post bunion surgery - 6 weeks post op - swelling question

Hi, got my non walking cast off 2 days ago, am now 6 weeks post op. Am limping around in a surgical shoe -getting easier to walk each day. My toes are not laying flat but stick up a bit off the ground. Have been bending them to get them loosened up. Also am really swollen, am not anywhere near getting a runner on yet. Not getting impatient but just wondering how long it takes to get the toes to loosen up so they're flat to the ground and also how long until the swelling starts to go down.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2003, 09:33 AM   #2
    Lasoniamacaroni
    (female)

Lasoniamacaroni HB User
    Hi! Personally it took about 10 days for the swelling to go down. When I first got my cast off, the swelling was out of control. My foot was sooooo huge, I thought it would burst. I noticed the more comfortable I got with the light weight bearing, the more the swelling came down. It's like the pressure of walking was breaking up the scar tissue. Be patient, it will happen. Now that I am completely walking on it, my swelling is near zero. GOOD LUCK!

Old 07-23-2003, 09:35 AM   #3
    thelittleprincess

thelittleprincess HB User
    continue to elevate your foot and ice at the ankle area for 20 minute periods. it may take up to 1 year before all the swelling is gone. i'm sure you have internal scar tissue built up - and that contributes to the swelling. it will take time for that to break down. also, it may take time for your feet to get use to shoes again - mine would swell up when i tried to wear closed toe shoes (other than sneakers). so i'm still wearing sneakers and flip flops. (btw, my left foot was done on 02/27/03 and my right was done 06/05/03. so i'm still in a post-op shoe for my right foot.) i did not have a cast put on, so i'm also assuming that you have much more swelling and internal scar tissue than me. only b/c i had the ability to "bend" my toes around week 4 and week 5 when the pins were removed. hopefully my doctor will tell me i can start wearing regular shoes by this thursday - my right foot is just healling slower than my left foot did. hope that helps you get an idea that it may take up to one year. i know, sounds so long, but i'd definitely do it again if i had to - my feet just look so much better, and i've slipped on shoes and no bunions push up and out of my shoes. i'd definitely put up w/ swollen feet for a year.

Old 07-23-2003, 10:05 AM   #4
    crutches

crutches HB User
    Hello Sonia and thelittleprincess! Thank you both for your speedy replies. Don't you just love this board. I have been following both of your recoveries on this board and you've both been so helpful and encouraging. Littleprincess, I've been watching your photo website too for quite a while. This board is the reason I got the nerve to go through with the first surgery. My foot looks good, even with all the swelling, and I can't wait to get the left foot done. It's not as bad as the right was so I won't be in a cast for it, just the surgical shoe. Going to wait til Jan or Feb cause we've got a holiday planned in October and then it gets too close to Christmas. It's a great to be able to communicate with others who have had this surgery and know what to expect at the different stages. Thanks again and good luck with your recoveries.

Old 07-23-2003, 12:07 PM   #5
    tigger84

tigger84 HB User
    I am 6 weeks post-op. Pins came out yesterday. Am very swollen, throb at times and have burning sensations. Still in shoe for 2 more weeks. Trying to gradually work up to walking flat. Can only put weight on so much of my foot without it hurting real bad. Toes are stiff and will have to work on that.

Old 07-23-2003, 12:15 PM   #6
    tigger84

tigger84 HB User
    I agree with thelittleprincess that it may take up to 1 year before all swelling is gone. From my previous experience on the other foot that was done 7 years ago, I had swelling for about a year. A few months after surgery, I would get up in the mornings and foot would be about normal size but by the end of the day it would be huge.

Closed Thread