It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• How common are flat feet? Plus problem toe.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-05-2003, 12:07 PM   #1
    sealover
    Veteran
    (female)

sealover HB Usersealover HB User
    Question How common are flat feet? Plus problem toe.

How common are flat feet? As far as I can tell, I have never known anyone who has flat feet except for my mother and me (I've always had flat feet), so I feel very alone, embarrassed, and self-conscious because of my feet...basically, I hate that I don't have a nice arch like most people do, that I can't wear whatever shoes I want to, especially dressy heals. Plus, I have never noticed that any of the models in beauty magazines or any people on TV have flat feet. Does anyone else feel embarrassed about having flat feet? This issue about my feet has bothered me for a long time.

My feet have caused me all sorts of problems over the years. I cannot stand on my feet or walk for long periods of time or else my feet will be in great pain. Custom-made orthotics did not help.

It's hard to find comfortable shoes. This summer I bought a pair of so-called comfy sandals, and while I was wearing them, my pinky toe on the left foot starting hurting badly...this has never happened before, and the pinky on the other foot was fine. I think the leather was rubbing and pressing on my toe in a certain way that it caused damage to the nerve. Anyway, I was not home so I had to wear the sandals for a few hours more until I could remove them at home. Well, my pinky toe was swelled to one & a half times it's normal size. I also started to have tingling in that toe when something touched the side of it along the outside edge--this is where the nerve runs up the toe--and it also tingled when I moved my toes. Cold compresses just irritated the nerve more. So I went to see my family Doc who said the pain & tingling would go away in a week and to keep taking the prescription Motrin that I was currently on to help with inflammation. I waited 2 weeks and the tingling improved a little bit, but not completely, and I still had pain, so I went back to my Doc who ordered X-rays that showed no broken bones. He thinks the nerve is simply irritated and that it will heal. Doc won't send me to a neurologist at this time, and my insurance doesn't cover podiatrists. He said that I can come back in for a cortisone injection--I've never had one of these before. Does it hurt when you are injected? I feel that my Doc should be taking this problem more seriously. I want to mention that 10 years ago I accidentally stubbed the toe next to my big toe (on left foot), and as of today, I still have tingling in that toe when something touches it in a certain area along the underside as well as significant pain in that toe if I am on my feet for too long--so, nerve injuries can last a very long time and they don't always heal--that's why I want to do all that I can for my pinky toe so that this doesn't end up being a long-term injury. What more can I do for this toe, and what other tests should I be having besides an X-ray?

Sorry this was a long post, and thank you for reading and for comments. I appreciate any help.

[This message has been edited by sealover (edited 08-05-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2003, 06:10 PM   #2
    Lourdes Nunez

Lourdes Nunez HB User
    oh dont feel embarassed my 3yr old son has flat feet too and so does his dad.

Old 08-06-2003, 06:04 AM   #3
    tigger84

tigger84 HB User
    I have flat feet

Old 08-07-2003, 04:53 PM   #4
    china blue
    Inactive

china blue HB User
    I have flat feet and problems wearing any shoe, tennis shoes to high heels. So called comfortable shoes are not even comfotable. I am only 29 years old and have a hard time walking for more than an hour. I have used orthotics and they have not helped. My pediatrist said I will just have to live with this pain, but I cannot even go to amusement parks and enjoy myself. It hurts more when I just stand (like in a line) than when I am walking, but it still does hurt when I walk. I am so fed up and do not know what to do. I completely understand your frusturation with your flat feet. If I had a doctor that actually cared maybe I could get some help, but my dr. obviously does not understand. Good luck and I hope you find some relief.

[This message has been edited by china blue (edited 08-07-2003).]

Old 08-08-2003, 12:54 AM   #5
    sealover
    Veteran
    (female)

sealover HB Usersealover HB User
    I wish shoe manufacturers would make shoes especially for us flat-footed people! It really is hard finding comfortable shoes. I bought the most comfortable sneakers and leather flats I could find, and my feet still hurt if I have to stand on them for a while or if I'm walking more than a half hour. I would love it if my feet didn't restrict my life so much.

Closed Thread