It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

bunions

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-14-2003, 07:52 AM   #1
eme100

eme100 HB User
Question bunions

Hi all im new to this site and i was wondering if any one could help me,im18 years old and for years iv had bad feet since i was 13 i suffered with what looked like bunions on the big toe joints and small bunions on my litle toe joints, but over the years they have got much bigger and painfull iv got faily hammered toes and im very embarased buy my feet,i just started a job that needs me to dress smart and wear nice shoes ,iv been wearing heels becase i never wanted to be the odd one out even nowing that there making my feet bad,but im not sure how far bunions will actully grow,people that see my feet like shoe shop assitants and friends and they look in shock when they see my feet with out shoes on and this is making me wonder if mine are that bad already,i dont want surgery as im scared of hostitals i now that sounds mad but even if i visit some one i have panik atacts, if i look at my feet they look very odd shape i have small feet but very wide at the front my big toes both bend over and under my 2nd toe and pushing my 3rd toe over a lot,the big toe bunion on both feet are the same and is the size of a tomatoe and as red but very hard like bone,i have got smaller bunions on my litle toe joints that stick out a fair bit ,its ok in sandals but shoes wow there so sqwashed,my feet looks a mess and iv just took of my new work shoes when wrighting this and noticed my shoes are spliting where my bunion is, that happens alot i wear shoes out so fast,im not sure about bunions and i did see a doctor 3 years ago and mentioned to her about my feet and she said yes there bunions but just live with them as they might not gett any bigger, sadly since then they have doulbled in size, any one else here having problems like me,sorry it sounds a bit stupid but im 100% mixed up on why my feet are so out of shape and 2 how big and deformed can bunions actully get? thanks for your help from a new member.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2003, 10:00 AM   #2
firefly

firefly HB User
Welcome eme100!
I'm sorry to hear about your feet! Bunions are not fun, I know! As for yours, I would suggest seeing your podiatrist/Dr. about your bunions. They only get worse with time and although surgery scares you,it's better to have it done in the long run. Your feet will loof and feel so much better afterward. I'm so glad I went ahead with surgery on both my feet. Don't be scared of hospitals! People are there to help you and are usually very friendly. As for shoes-can you find or wear any wider width ones that are still dressy to work?! That might help you a little while your are on youf feet at work. Good luck!!

Old 08-18-2003, 05:09 PM   #3
liltams
(female)

liltams HB User
Thumbs up

hey, i'm sorry to hear bout ur feet to. But honestly, i defently understand where u're coming from. I'm only 21 and am concidering my second bunion surgury.. on the same foot! It started when i was real young. I had my first surgury when I was 13. Basically because it was so painful. I even wore those lil white keds. like the real flexible ones... Didnt work tho, all that happened was the fabric tored down the side or got a hole right over the bunion, because it stuck out so far. The whole surgery thing, of what i can remember. wasnt to scary. I could have gone home the same day, but i was scared so i asked to stay over nite.. being so young and all. But I got to miss a month and a half of school. So I liked that haha. But now.. I'd get it done again in a heart beat because its depressing seeing adorable lil sandals but then imagining myyyy foot in them, u know? and it's starting to hurt again. But w/ work, I dont know how they're gonna feel w/ me needing 2 months off... cause i obviously wont be able to drive there.
but basically, i recommend seeing someone and maybe going thru w/ surgery. Cause mine.. and my aunts (who's 80.. and so bad looing).. just keep getting worse. give it a few months and u're be glad u did. If u need any more advice.. let me know
good luck!

Old 08-19-2003, 11:40 PM   #4
eme100

eme100 HB User
hello liitams thanks sounds like your going though it the same as me but iv not been as brave as you,talking with people that have bunions are all mixed reactions some say have them removed others say no way !! but i know if they get any biger they will look so deformed even tho they are only a bit pain full, like u say ho to wear those nice stappy sandals with out the bunions sticking out over the side of those would be so nice i just cant emagine what its like to have narrow looking feet,
iv been looking on the net for info about my feet and iv seen pics of feet not as bad as mine and there explaned in the info about them as having a exesivly large bunion deformitey thats scares me as mine are almost 2 times as large, u say yours was big i measured how far my bigest bunion sticks out thats my right foot and from the end of the bunion to where my foot is measures just under 2.5" and my big toe is faily angled over and is very stiff, im so mixed up on what to do and i cant take the time off work becase iv just started a new job ,ho god help me.
the other thing is that i have to wear smart looking shoes for work there a block high heel rounded toe shoe in leather that is part of the uniform and i can only just get my feet into them with a struggle and when on my bunions are sqwashing so far out of the shoes people notice and ofton coments about them ,thats getting me down also, any way thats enough of me going on i know this sounds corny but its nice to chat with some one who is in my age group that has the same problems thank you for your surport, eme .

Old 08-26-2003, 02:37 PM   #5
liltams
(female)

liltams HB User
oh man, u sound just like me. I can defently relate in all those aspects... I also just started a job bout a year ago, and i really dont think they will like me to miss 2 mos of work, and i dont have anyone sitting around willing and ready to drive me to and from in rush hour 30 mins away. But i defently know what u mean by mixed fillings. III've had it before and i'm still having mixed fillings. I remember it being painful the first couple days... but all i did was sit and watch tv. but i was 13.. whatelse is there tooo do. I cant imagine sitting still for 2 mos now, it sucks. But i keep telling myself, think how great it looked afterwards.... and then i picture my great aunts feet. She's like 90 and she has it on both feet. And i mean bad ones.. all toes crossed over each other... bumps are soo huge. I just know if i dont get this thing fixed again soon, i'll look like that alot younger then 90 lol. I"m thinking of getting it done jan-march sometime.. winter months are probably best to just sit around.. and enough time to get back into pretty sandals for next year. Defently keep me updated on what you decide to do!

Old 08-30-2003, 08:44 AM   #6
eme100

eme100 HB User
hello liltams again,just poped by to see how everone geting on,just to let u know i went to see a foot doc just for some advise about my feet and ho god i came out crying all tho the truth is the best, i was happy that day and went along for a kind of informall look at my poor feet,i was wearing a pair of ancal boots faily old that has streched to the shape of my bunions so they are cumfey even tho they have 4.5" heels, the doctor was female about 30 ish and very nice we chated and then she took a look at my feet when i took off my boots ,ho man she said look at those bunions there massive and tailors bunions too, she picked up my right foot and looked at my soles and pointed out how fat my big toe has moved over and said about the amount of callouse i have under my big toe joints, becase i was there early she had time to remove some corns that i had on my 5th and 2nd toes all the time i was with her i felt so embarased becase she said my feet are so bad and iv got so many other problems apart from just bunions and corns,we chated about my foot wear a fair bit as she seamed to think thats where the problem is!, she checked my legs also identified that im suffering from tendinitus also a shortening of my tendons ,thats the reason i cant walk flat footed with out pain,also she pointed out i have very high arches that are stiff in that position from the bones that make up my arch in the foot fused together in a very over pronated high arch all in all she said i have so many problems with my feet its going to be a long road to recovery if i have operations to correct the problems and im now very scared,the only good thing she told me is that my feet are at the stage now that she thinks if my pain is ok i would beable to live with my feet problems as it looks like they have formed the way there going to be,i guess im the unlucky one but as im here writing this iv just got in from a 6hr shift in shoes that i have to wear for work 4" courts and my feet feels ok apart from a bit of stinging from my callouse,ho well thats me done with im just running a bath so im off now good luck and chat soon frome eme .

Closed Thread