It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Dislocated Toe after Bunionectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2003, 01:24 PM   #1
    eko
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

eko HB Usereko HB User
    Angry Dislocated Toe after Bunionectomy

Has anyone ever experienced a dislocated big toe following bunion surgery? I need to have it corrected surgically. Any comments on the surgery assocaited with a dislocated toe?

------------------
    eko

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2003, 02:11 PM   #2
    crutches

crutches HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eko
    Has anyone ever experienced a dislocated big toe following bunion surgery? I need to have it corrected surgically. Any comments on the surgery assocaited with a dislocated toe?

------------------
    eko
    Eko, did you end up with a dislocated toe because of the bunion surgery? What are they symptoms? Is there any pain? Is the toe stiff?

Old 11-17-2003, 06:47 PM   #3
    eko
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

eko HB Usereko HB User
    I believe that it was the result of bunion surgery, Dr has not admitted to anything yet. It first dislocated within the first three weeks after surgery while I was still in a cast. It was discovered when they took the stiches out. At that time they manipulated back into place (talk about pain) and splinted it. X-rays show that it was back in place, however within two weeks it was dislocated again. Surprisingly I don't have much pain unless it gets bumped. I am unable to flex the toe at all, although I can wiggle the tip with my fingers, kind of like a loose tooth. That's the story so far ....

Old 11-17-2003, 08:40 PM   #4
    crutches

crutches HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eko
    I believe that it was the result of bunion surgery, Dr has not admitted to anything yet. It first dislocated within the first three weeks after surgery while I was still in a cast. It was discovered when they took the stiches out. At that time they manipulated back into place (talk about pain) and splinted it. X-rays show that it was back in place, however within two weeks it was dislocated again. Surprisingly I don't have much pain unless it gets bumped. I am unable to flex the toe at all, although I can wiggle the tip with my fingers, kind of like a loose tooth. That's the story so far ....
    Eko, I am 5 months post op and my toe is stiff. Will bend up but not down. Went for an ultrasound but nothing showed. Everything looks normal but something is blocking the toe from bending except at the tip. It sticks up off the floor. Will find out what my Dr has to say when I see him for the results this week but the person who did the ultrasound couldn't see anything wrong. I'm wondering if it's slightly misaligned or dislocated. There's no pain - it just won't bend. Does this sound like what you're experiencing.

Old 11-18-2003, 02:12 PM   #5
    eko
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

eko HB Usereko HB User
    It sounds like it to an extent, but through x-ray is a very obvious that my toe is is dislocated. You are able to bend your toe up, I cannot even do that, but then it may depend on the extent of the dislocation and mine is pretty bad. Perhaps your is dislocated, but it is suppose to be very unusual. I'd like to hear what your Dr. has to say. I am getting a seocnd opinion next week regarding my situation.

Best Wishes!

Old 11-19-2003, 07:47 AM   #6
    goodluck

goodluck HB User
    [SIZE=7][FONT=Arial]
    Crutches,

Your case sounds familiar. I can bend my big toe both directions but it points upward. My big toe is not laying on the floor and as the result I put too much load on the second and third toes. My Dr. partially addmited that when he worked on the bunion he probably pushed down the metatarsal where it joins the toe a little too much so the toe is raised. He played down the significance of it but I blame all the pain I have since the surgery on this. Maybe your metatarsal was pushed down even further to the extent that the toe can not bend down. Does it make any sense to you?

Old 11-19-2003, 08:35 AM   #7
    crutches

crutches HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by goodluck
    [SIZE=7][FONT=Arial]
    Crutches,

Your case sounds familiar. I can bend my big toe both directions but it points upward. My big toe is not laying on the floor and as the result I put too much load on the second and third toes. My Dr. partially addmited that when he worked on the bunion he probably pushed down the metatarsal where it joins the toe a little too much so the toe is raised. He played down the significance of it but I blame all the pain I have since the surgery on this. Maybe your metatarsal was pushed down even further to the extent that the toe can not bend down. Does it make any sense to you?
    I get the ultrasound results this week but I don't think I'll get an answer. I don't think the Dr will be admitting to anything either. The work was done at the base with 2 screws and just a clean up in the joint capsule. Casted and no walking for 6 weeks. I'm wondering if he took out too much bone in the wedge where the screws are and the bone is not long enough now. Although I could be way off as I'm no Dr and really don't know exactly what was done etc. I don't have pain but it is uncomfortable to walk barefoot. Okay in shoes though. Do you know if anything can be done to correct this? Sure don't want more surgery but also don't want to leave it like this if it can be fixed.

Old 01-14-2004, 08:38 AM   #8
    susieblueyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

susieblueyes HB User
    Smile Re: Dislocated Toe after Bunionectomy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crutches
    Eko, I am 5 months post op and my toe is stiff. Will bend up but not down. Went for an ultrasound but nothing showed. Everything looks normal but something is blocking the toe from bending except at the tip. It sticks up off the floor. Will find out what my Dr has to say when I see him for the results this week but the person who did the ultrasound couldn't see anything wrong. I'm wondering if it's slightly misaligned or dislocated. There's no pain - it just won't bend. Does this sound like what you're experiencing.
    HI, I'm a newbie here.I had surgery at the end of Nov.I'm experiencing the same problem.I'm due to go back to work on the 19th of Jan. and don't know if my foot is ready.I do alot of bending, stretching and squating.My toe lifts off the floor and will not bend back either.So what do you think? I'm just looking for some input.

Old 01-15-2004, 10:46 AM   #9
    Ami72

Ami72 HB User
    Re: Dislocated Toe after Bunionectomy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by susieblueyes
    HI, I'm a newbie here.I had surgery at the end of Nov.I'm experiencing the same problem.I'm due to go back to work on the 19th of Jan. and don't know if my foot is ready.I do alot of bending, stretching and squating.My toe lifts off the floor and will not bend back either.So what do you think? I'm just looking for some input.
    Wow, I have the same problem too! My first surgery (feb '03) involved just shaving off the bunion, and the doctor 'released' a tendon. I did not have a pin inserted (apparently, this doctor messed up), and my big toe will not touch the floor! I really can't even move it. I am having more surgery tomorrow (from a new doctor), and he said that I have a 'contracture' in my big toe joint, which is a stiffening of the tendons. He is going to fix that and put a pin in my toe as well.
    Maybe you should ask your doctor if you should be doing some toe stretching or something?

Old 01-15-2004, 02:05 PM   #10
    crutches

crutches HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ami72
    Wow, I have the same problem too! My first surgery (feb '03) involved just shaving off the bunion, and the doctor 'released' a tendon. I did not have a pin inserted (apparently, this doctor messed up), and my big toe will not touch the floor! I really can't even move it. I am having more surgery tomorrow (from a new doctor), and he said that I have a 'contracture' in my big toe joint, which is a stiffening of the tendons. He is going to fix that and put a pin in my toe as well.
    Maybe you should ask your doctor if you should be doing some toe stretching or something?
    My new podiatrist "thinks" my problem is scar tissue. I've been going for more physio but it doesn't seem to be helping. The toe is still stiff and won't touch the ground. I'm about ready to give up on physio and go back to the dr in a few weeks. Wish I knew for sure what this is and how to fix it. I wonder if it's a contracture in the big toe joint too.

Old 01-15-2004, 05:08 PM   #11
    carriejean

carriejean HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eko
    I am new to this board. I had surgery on both feet last year, and now just recovering from a second surgery on the left one again. Perhaps I can help someone. My right foot healed perfectly after a bunionectomy, but the left foot did not. The Dr. performed a "bumpectomy" on the left foot, I had much more pain for months than in the right as they healed. Finally it was apparent that the left big toe was deformed, as it went up and tried to lay over the second toe. It was not painful, but clearly I couldn't have this malformed toe if anything could be done. I went to another surgeon for a second opinion, and he said that foot surgery is delicate, and somewhat unpredictable. The big toe could be fixed, but another operation would be necessary. He said he would not blame my original doctor. So...back I went to the Dr. who did the original surgery. I asked him pointblank if he could fix it and he said yes, but...another operation. Not what I wanted to hear. I thought about it for a while, and then scheduled the surgery for Dec. 19. I am still in the orthopedic shoe for another 2 two weeks, but at least I am walking and driving. The toe looks straight. The surgery took an hour and a half, and involved things I don't want to think about. I have a screw in the toe and had a pin in it until Jan 13, when the pin was removed. The pin removal was absolutely nothing. I had just dreaded it. Don't worry if you have to have a pin. I never saw it either. I am now starting to flex the toe with my hand just slightly to begin motion. The bone has not completely formed yet. It's a tough decision as to whether to go through the pain and temporary disability again, it's a very uncomfortable surgery and recovery. I don't think my big toe was ever dislocated, that sounds horrible, but it certainly stuck up and over, I didn't even like wearing sandals last summer, it looked so strange. I've done everything I could do to let it heal this time, it looks just fine so far, but I know I'll never go through the surgery again. Both feet, and then the one again, is enough. This board helped me understand that many people also have had less than perfect results. The only reason I could go through it again was that my right foot is so perfect that I had hopes for success with a second operation on the left.

Old 01-15-2004, 05:21 PM   #12
    Ami72

Ami72 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by carriejean
    I am new to this board. I had surgery on both feet last year, and now just recovering from a second surgery on the left one again. Perhaps I can help someone. My right foot healed perfectly after a bunionectomy, but the left foot did not. The Dr. performed a "bumpectomy" on the left foot, I had much more pain for months than in the right as they healed. Finally it was apparent that the left big toe was deformed, as it went up and tried to lay over the second toe. It was not painful, but clearly I couldn't have this malformed toe if anything could be done. I went to another surgeon for a second opinion, and he said that foot surgery is delicate, and somewhat unpredictable. The big toe could be fixed, but another operation would be necessary. He said he would not blame my original doctor. So...back I went to the Dr. who did the original surgery. I asked him pointblank if he could fix it and he said yes, but...another operation. Not what I wanted to hear. I thought about it for a while, and then scheduled the surgery for Dec. 19. I am still in the orthopedic shoe for another 2 two weeks, but at least I am walking and driving. The toe looks straight. The surgery took an hour and a half, and involved things I don't want to think about. I have a screw in the toe and had a pin in it until Jan 13, when the pin was removed. The pin removal was absolutely nothing. I had just dreaded it. Don't worry if you have to have a pin. I never saw it either. I am now starting to flex the toe with my hand just slightly to begin motion. The bone has not completely formed yet. It's a tough decision as to whether to go through the pain and temporary disability again, it's a very uncomfortable surgery and recovery. I don't think my big toe was ever dislocated, that sounds horrible, but it certainly stuck up and over, I didn't even like wearing sandals last summer, it looked so strange. I've done everything I could do to let it heal this time, it looks just fine so far, but I know I'll never go through the surgery again. Both feet, and then the one again, is enough. This board helped me understand that many people also have had less than perfect results. The only reason I could go through it again was that my right foot is so perfect that I had hopes for success with a second operation on the left.
    Carriejean,
    Thank you for your post! My first doctor performed the 'bumpectomy' on my left foot too, and the pain grew progressively worse, and my toe was just completely deformed! It does up and over my second toe, and it hurt so much. My first doctor tried to tell me that this was normal, but I went to a new doctor who told me that this was NOT normal. Anyway, I am having my foot fixed tomorrow. It sounds like you and I had a similar problem, and I am really happy to hear that the problem can be fixed!
    Thank you for sharing your story, and I hope things continue to go well with you!

Closed Thread