It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Bunionectomy scar??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-15-2003, 02:32 PM   #1
    mbliss

mbliss HB User
    Smile Bunionectomy scar??

Hi. I had a bunionectomy on June 25th. So far my recovery has been pretty predictable. I finally got the last of my stitches removed yesterday at my three week appointment. My scar is pretty jagged and blackish. The scar is about three inches long. Is this normal?? It isn't pleasant to look at. I am concerned to take a shower. I forgot to ask my doctor if I should wash the area with soap. It is still really sore but completely healed. Does anyone have any advice on washing the area in the shower? Also, I am walking around without my crutches quite a bit. Do you think I should push walking - or take it easy awhile longer? My doctor expects me to be out of my walking shoe next week. Finally I'll be able to drive!!

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2003, 03:52 PM   #2
    Lasoniamacaroni
    (female)

Lasoniamacaroni HB User
    Personally I rub my hand in the soap and then lightly wash the area. Mine are a little jagged and a reddish purple. You're lucky you don't have 2 incisions like me. I have been putting on cocoa butter and bag balm several times a day and it seems to be looking better. GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 07-15-2003, 06:01 PM   #3
    mbliss

mbliss HB User
    Thanks for letting me know. I'm scared to touch such a sensitive area. Did you start putting cocoa butter on right after the stitches came out? I heard that it can help to minimize the scar.
    Also, does anyone know how long I should expect swelling after a bunionectomy. My foot feels like a balloon at night.

Old 07-16-2003, 11:49 AM   #4
    crankyc

crankyc HB User
    Cool

Hi, mbliss,
    My Dr. advised me to start using Mederma cream on my incisions (I have 3) about 2 weeks after the stitches were removed, plus a few people on these message boards swear by it. It soothes the incision area and reduces the redness. Most of the drugstore chains carry it, at about $18 a tube. You have to keep using it a few times a day for about 2-3 months. I find it refreshing after a bath, and figure it's worth a try, the time is going to pass anyway, right?
    Peace,
    Chris

Old 07-16-2003, 02:33 PM   #5
    thelittleprincess

thelittleprincess HB User
    i also use merderma on my scars.

whatever you do - DON"T RUB OFF THE SKIN AROUND THE SCARRED AREA!!! i was so excited to was my left foot after post-op week 4 that i cleaned everything!! top and bottom of my foot - took off all the skin that was flaking off - even the skin near th escar - and it keloid as it healed!!! so ugly. the surgery got that foot was doen on 02/27/03.

but for my right foot (done 06/05/03) i was able to wash it at post-op week 5. this time i only cleared of the dead skin on the bottom of my foot and between toes. i decided to let the skin near th escar fall off naturally. after showers, i'd gently pat the area (make sure you don't accidently tug at any scabs that might have formes). then i applied the merderma. what a difference!!! the scar on my right foot is minimal. gonna have to do some work with my dermatologist for th eone on my lef tfoot. hope that helps!

Old 07-16-2003, 03:58 PM   #6
    mbliss

mbliss HB User
    Thanks for the advice. I am still nervous in the shower. I just let the water get on it - I don't even wash the area. Then I let it air dry and cover it. I want to try Mederma in the next couple weeks. Right now the scar is very jagged and I can see where each stitch was. It's very Frankensteinlike. Any idea of when the bruising might fade?? I hope it heals nicely. I've had other scars that have turned into keliod scars - not a pretty sight.

I have noticed that my foot that had the bunionectomy turns purple when I am standing. Is this because of the swelling? I am just hoping that I will be able to walk comfortably by September when school starts.

Old 07-21-2003, 09:18 PM   #7
    ATrainergrl83

ATrainergrl83 HB User
    I had my surgery about 3 weeks ago and I also have a very jagged, black scar, which I assume this is normal because I have dark skin. I was also afraid to wash my foot after I got my stitches out! Trust me, it gets better. I suggest soaking it in a warm bath. That seemed to ease my scar and get rid of the dead skin.
    Also, I'm not allowed to put weight on mine but I don't think that a purple foot is good... Hope everything goes well!

Old 07-23-2003, 03:06 PM   #8
    mbliss

mbliss HB User
    Cool

Thanks for your support. My scar (and foot) are doing much better. I can't get over how much dead skin is all around the scar. It is really gross! I am careful not to peel or rub around the scar because I don't want it to keloid. The Mederma cream is awesome!

My doctor has me doing physical therapy. Stretching the toe in cold and hot water. So far I've noticed a lot of "loosening". I'm still not pushing off with my toe when I walk.

Old 07-23-2003, 04:50 PM   #9
    Lasoniamacaroni
    (female)

Lasoniamacaroni HB User
    OK here's one for you! My podiatrist advised me to massage the incison area with whatever cream I am using. He said it will help break up the scar tissue causing the redness. I hope he is right, because I have been doing it according the his directions.

Old 08-01-2003, 07:39 PM   #10
    workaholic

workaholic HB User
    I was also told to rub the area with any type of cream. I hope it works. I've got scar tissue build up on my small toe (I had a hammertoe corrected) but I'm so glad I had this surgery done! No more bunion pain!

[This message has been edited by workaholic (edited 08-01-2003).]

Old 08-22-2003, 12:18 PM   #11
    sawbuck44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User
    coco butter, mederma, eucin, etc. are good things to use on scars. when you apply these products, use an up and down and then a cross-friction massage to help keep scar tissue buildup to a minimum.

Old 08-22-2003, 02:28 PM   #12
    PMCW58

PMCW58 HB User
    My physical therapist-friend today told me to put any kind of lotion on one of my three incision scars and massage it to help break up the scar tissue. She said I had an "adhesion".

Old 09-11-2003, 10:14 PM   #13
    CamoLov3
    (female)

CamoLov3 HB User
    I had the surgery when i was twelve on both feet.. one foot at a time. Yes your foot will be soar and three inch scare is normal.. i am sure.. mine is about 2 1/2 inches.. was it with soap and put lotion on it.. try not to let anything bump it cuz that causes worse pain that words can describe. hope everything goes well and if you have any other questions

Last edited by Administrator; 12-02-2003 at 12:07 PM.

Old 09-24-2003, 04:22 PM   #14
    bigbadfeet

bigbadfeet HB User
    Hell****had my 2 week follow up today ( actually I'm day 16). Stitches removed, but white tape stuff still in place. He said to let it fall off on its own, don't pull on it. He told me I could shower, but don't let it soak (as in a bath) until week 3. I asked him about using Mederma and he said not to use anything right now, and that if he were to recommend anything to put on it, it would be A & D ointment at about week 3.

Old 09-24-2003, 04:25 PM   #15
    bigbadfeet

bigbadfeet HB User
    Yikes! All I said was hello ....as in the other word for "Hi". The censoring program is a little too sensitive.

Closed Thread