It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• PLEASE HELP i rescently had a calcaneal ostemoity

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-01-2003, 07:20 PM   #1
    yekcoh13

yekcoh13 HB User
    Angry PLEASE HELP i rescently had a calcaneal ostemoity

hi i resecntly had a major reconstruction to my right ankle..this is my 4th surgery since i have been in high school...i am 17 and a senior in high school and my most rescent surgery which was a calcaneal ostemoity(sorry for the spelling), heel cord lengthing, and post tibial tendon augmentation, and some sort of fusion between the 1st and 2nd toe bones to the calcaneal bone. out of the 4 surgeries this one was by far the most painful...the surgery was on Aug 26 and i am expected to get the cast off next wed although i wills till be on crutches until a temporary bone is removed from the toe fussions in nov.....i am a highly competitive ice hockey player and a nationally ranked kneeboarder...i was wondering if any one can give me somewhat of an out look of the next few months with recovery, possible bumbs int he road, and and tip of a quick recovery....PLESE HELP!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2003, 07:20 PM   #2
    yekcoh13

yekcoh13 HB User
    Exclamation

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP I DONT KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT AND WHAT IS MY BEST WY TO HELP MY RECOVERY BEFORE COLLEGE HOCKEY STARTS

Old 10-03-2003, 11:30 AM   #3
    erinbenjamin

erinbenjamin HB User
    Smile

Hi! I, also recently had a calcaneal osteotomy at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio. I had mine done because of flat foot deformity - this was my third operation on my feet, prior to the most recent surgery I had a lateral column lengethening with posterior tibial tendon tightening done on each of my feet.
    What exactly is the original problem with your feet, what is causing to to have all of these surgeries? It seems like a lot of work on someone so young...of course I'm only 24, but still. I had my first surgeries when I was 22. It's funny that you mention that the osteotomy is the most painful of all of the surgeries you have had - just the opposite for me! I didn't experience real pain in any of my surgeries but whats nice about this one was that it was only 6 weeks non-weight bearing. I had the operation on August 25th - 6 weeks ago today - and today is my first day to start putting wight on my foot with crutches! I feel like I'm on my way to freedom
    Anyway, I hope you feel better soon and that your surgeries don't interfere with your ice hockey. Where will you be playing in college? My boyfriend is also a ice hocky player and he played for Brown...
    Anyway, good luck and let me know if you have any additional questions.
    By the way, I think that elevating my foot was the best thing I could have done post op.
    -Erin

Old 10-05-2003, 07:25 AM   #4
    cog

cog HB User
    Hi Yekcoh - I had a calcaneal osteotomy with posterior tibialis repair this past April - there was a thread on this board that lots and lots of people responded to - I just checked and the thread is still here.... if you get a chance, read "Anyone had a calcaneal osteotomy?????" on page 6 or page 7 of this board. It's got about 36 posts on it, and you'll find lots of information! Good luck to you - I know it's hard to be laid up, and it's even harder when you're so athletic.

Closed Thread