It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Arizona Brace for Post Tib tendonitis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-19-2003, 01:15 PM   #1
    star1350
    (female)

star1350 HB User
    Smile Arizona Brace for Post Tib tendonitis

This is my first posting to this board. Last week, I saw an orthopedic surgeon, regarding long-term foot pain. My feet are both flat, right worse than left. I also have achilles tendonitis in my left foot. He gave me a thing called an "Air Cast" to wear on my left foot to help with the heel pain. So far, it feels great! Next week, I have to go to be fitted (casted) for a brace called an Arizona Brace for my right foot for the post tib tendonitis. Has anyone had any experience with this type of brace? Was it expensive? Did insurance cover any of it? Was it hard to get used to?I've done 3 different sets of orthodics over the last ten years, and am still in pain every day. Please let me know your experiences!

[This message has been edited by star1350 (edited 10-19-2003).]

[This message has been edited by star1350 (edited 10-19-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2003, 02:03 PM   #2
    eko
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

eko HB Usereko HB User
    Cool

Hi, I had an Arizona Brace that I wore for six months before deciding to have ankle stabilization surgery. It worked well for me, but the down side was that it did not fit into my shoes very well. I ended up buying tennis shoes a size larger than I would normally wear. Also I found that over time the other muscles became weaker as they came to depend on the support of the brace.

The brace costs between $1,800-$2,000. My insurance covered 70% of it. Some helpful hints ... if your situation does not require it, see if it can be made shorter. Mine came way up on my calf and really bothered it until I went in and had them roll the edge out. Also you will need to wear sock with the brace. I used men's sock or tube socks and then flipped the top over the brace so that they did not slide down inside.

I wish you the best of luck.

------------------
    eko

Old 10-19-2003, 02:15 PM   #3
    star1350
    (female)

star1350 HB User
    Thanks for the advice! I'm sort of nervous about the brace. I definitely need to do something for my situation. I'm worried that I'll spend a bunch of money, and it really won't aleviate the problem. I've spent about $1,000 on orthotics over the last 10 years. I suppose it's worth a try, and easier than surgery.

Old 10-20-2003, 12:53 PM   #4
    eko
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

eko HB Usereko HB User
    I just wanted to add something else to my reply. My DR. had also mentioned to my that most people will only put up with the brace for 12 months. I also am 39 years old with two kids and was told I was too young to be stuck in the brace. I only survived for 6 months when I decided the heck with it and opted for surgery. I don't know your age, activity level or circumstances, but you may want to consider the surgery.

Best Wishes.

------------------
    eko

Old 10-20-2003, 04:18 PM   #5
    star1350
    (female)

star1350 HB User
    Thanks, eko. I'm 50, married, with both my kids off at college. I'm an elementary teacher, so I'm on my feet most of the day. I'm really torn about this whole thing - when you had the surgery, how long was your recovery? Did it go smoothly?

My doc had told me that I should try the brace for 6 to 9 months before considering surgery.

Old 10-21-2003, 06:20 PM   #6
    star1350
    (female)

star1350 HB User
    Thanks for the additional info, eko! I was casted for the brace today - the price is $1,050 - quite a bit less than you paid. However, I didn't put the order in yet - I have to see how much the insurance will cover first. Both my kids are in college, and money is tight right now! I am 50 years old, an elementary school teacher, and on my feet most of the day. My doctor had said 6 to 9 months in the brace before considering surgery as a last resort. The brace looks horrible to me, but right now I'd rather put off surgery as long as possible. How was the surgery for you? What was your recovery time?

Old 10-22-2003, 05:14 PM   #7
    eko
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

eko HB Usereko HB User
    I ended up not having the post tib tendonitis, instead the MRI showed that I had blown my perneal tendon at some point. Prior to being correctly diagnosed, I did a little research regarding the surgery and it seems that recovery time depended on the severity of the tendonitis.

With you being a teacher, I would have to agree with your doctor that you should try the brace for awhile, then you can decide you if and when you want the surgery.

The brace is kind of scary. I don't know what style you are getting, there are several different ones. I had one that laced all the way of the front, but to give it a little personality I changed the color of the laces in it just to make the best of a yucky situation.

I wish you all the best! Take care.

------------------
    eko

Closed Thread