It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Anyone had a calcaneal osteotomy?????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-01-2002, 11:30 AM   #1
    CanIGetNewFeet?

CanIGetNewFeet? HB User
    Question Anyone had a calcaneal osteotomy?????

I recently had a left calc. osteotomy 10-21 & would love to hear from others who have been through the process. I need to have my right heel done, but think I'll be waiting a year--recovery has been fun!

Just interested in anyone else's perspective/thoughts on the procedure & post-op recovery........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2002, 05:41 PM   #2
    kyle13
    (male)

kyle13 HB User
    Whoa, sounds fun.
    I'm actually considering subtalar joint fusion(due to osteoarthritis), which is somewhat related to your calcaneus osteotonomy. Unfortunately I can't give you info on my experiences as I have yet to go through the procedure. I only know that it takes at least 6 months to fully recover.
    How's your range of motion and pain relief since your surgery?

Old 01-02-2003, 07:20 AM   #3
    CanIGetNewFeet?

CanIGetNewFeet? HB User
    It is not a very common procedure--kind of an end resort that no doctor nor I wanted to do for the last 8 years....

I am now 10 weeks post-op, with 2 weeks of PT & "recovery" left before starting to go back to work. The pain has been acceptable, I still have some swelling, & my ROM is quite good. I know it's premature for me to say "it's better than before"--my heel/ankle continuously aches. I know in 6 months I will have a better idea.

Old 01-21-2003, 01:49 PM   #4
    PLE

PLE HB User
    Hello. After reading your post, I felt I should respond since it doesn't seem too long ago I posted about calcaneal osteotomy. I had one done in July 2001 and it failed and malunioned. I had it redone with a new graft from my hip in August 2002 with a titanium plate to hold it together. It has been a nightmare for me. I spent a year in a cast, 5 total months on crutches, and 2 surgeries to still have so much pain when I walk. I am now 5 months out from the redo of the calcaneal osteotomy with plating in addition to bilateral gastroc tendon lengthening and I hurt all the time. They are now considering taking the plate out at the 9 month mark. With me, I believe the problem with the first surgery was allowing me to walk too soon and taking the pin out too soon. So please adhere to all their recommendations even though it's frustrating, because if it works on round 1, you will be so much better off. My foot looks great but my overall use is much less, perhaps in my case because of the failed first procedure and subsequent plating. Good Luck and do let me know how you do. Paula

------------------

Last edited by Administrator; 12-02-2003 at 11:50 AM.

Old 01-26-2003, 05:58 PM   #5
    sanniclee

sanniclee HB User
    Unhappy

I had the osteotomy over 7 months ago. I still have swelling and pain. I went on prednisone for several weeks. That temporarily calmed down the pain and swelling. I tried Celebrex with a modicom of relief. Now taking Vioxx but it seems to be making my stomach upset and nauseous. I really thought the healing would be coming along by now. The heel seems to be a bit worse than it was a few months ago. I'm considering going on SDI but would rather work. It is a tough situation.

Old 02-27-2003, 05:37 AM   #6
    CanIGetNewFeet?

CanIGetNewFeet? HB User
    Well here's the update.....I have healed very well & faster than expected. I finished physical therapy early because I had done so well. I'm back at work(I'm an R.N. on my feet all day) and I still have some heel pain, but it's mostly shin splints. I have not scheduled to have my screw removed yet (the pin was taken out months ago). The new development is going for an MRI next week to evaluate my tibia due to the shin splints and we're questioning mild compart syndrome. I still have some swelling--but I can live with that. I know I need to look at this objectively at the 6 month and 12 month mark. Thank you so much for your personal info!

Old 03-01-2003, 05:10 PM   #7
    TPB
    (male)

TPB HB User
    Why did you require the osteotomy in the first place? I am asking, because my surgeon is planning a calcaneal osteotomy as part of surgical correction of my flat feet. Is that why you had the procedure done? It sounds pretty successful. Thanks for your reply.

Old 03-02-2003, 12:44 PM   #8
    CanIGetNewFeet?

CanIGetNewFeet? HB User
    Actually, I had it done becauae the calcaneal bone did not sit right, neither does my right. I've had years of painful shin splints, heel pain, orthotics, and P.T., without any relief. I also have really high arches so in terms of my feet being good shock absorbers, it's a joke.

Basically everything is a result of poor alignment, and I have a tendancy to walk on my outer foot---not that surgery was going to fix that, I know.

Old 04-26-2003, 10:51 AM   #9
    info seeker

info seeker HB User
    Question

To "CanIGetNewFeet",

My husband had this surgery done 4 weeks ago and has been told he has to stay in bed with his foot elevated above the level of his heart for another 4 weeks. Did you have to stay in bed with your foot elevayed for that long?

Quote:
    Originally posted by CanIGetNewFeet?:
    Actually, I had it done becauae the calcaneal bone did not sit right, neither does my right. I've had years of painful shin splints, heel pain, orthotics, and P.T., without any relief. I also have really high arches so in terms of my feet being good shock absorbers, it's a joke.

Basically everything is a result of poor alignment, and I have a tendancy to walk on my outer foot---not that surgery was going to fix that, I know.

Old 04-28-2003, 10:43 AM   #10
    beelzebub222

beelzebub222 HB User
    Exclamation

I'm 16, and back on March 28th I had calcaneal osteotomy on my left foot (the worser of the two), in 4-6 months I will be getting my right foot done. I've had 'majorly' flat feet since day 1, and my feet hurt constantly. I haven't talked with the 'dr.-dr.' but the cast guy and one of the other dr's says I'm doing ok, he never mentioned if I should be walking on it, but I'm doing pretty good and actually walking on it. I've tried standing, but I can only for a little while. The first week was brutal and hurt terribly, the second ehh, now it is only when it is damp/humid or about to rain. Otherwise I'm doing very good and a lot better than I thought! So far already 1 month out of school (home tutor) and loving it, I hope the rest of you have as 'good' of an experience! Tomorrow I have my appointment with my actual dr who performed the surgery so I will find out how it looks and how well I am (or aren't) doing.

Old 05-02-2003, 09:59 AM   #11
    prisc1125
    Veteran
    (female)

prisc1125 HB User
    To CanIGetNewFeet,
    I am 34 and had a calcaneal heel slide (assume it is similar to an osteotomy since bone was cut and moved) three years ago. I had clubfoot and the ortho had to reposition my heel bone (with a pin), do a first metatarsal dorsiflexion osteotomy and complete anterior tib transfer. I had three other surgeries after that, most recent in Feb.

Because of the major work of bone and soft tissue reconstructions, I was laid up for several months. The pin began to rub four months later and my ortho took it out during my third surgery. I have some tenderness in the scar, but really no complaints.

I was not aware that such a surgery is rare.

My problems are more in the flexors of the toes and the calf.

Prisc1125

Old 06-16-2003, 09:09 AM   #12
    cog

cog HB User
    Exclamation

Hi - I had a calcaneal osteotomy and posterior tibialis tendon repair in early April, and while the surgery went well, I wasn't prepared for the pain, soreness and swelling once he allowed me to start walking. I followed his directions to the letter - didn't put any weight on it for 8 weeks after the surgery, kept it elevated, etc., but I wasn't prepared for the pain and swelling once I started walking. (I still use the crutches if I have to go any distance at all....) I know it's supposed to be a 6 month recovery, with up to 12 months before the swelling is gone for good, but I guess I wasn't prepared mentally for how slow it feels. I'm athletic, and I can't DO anything - that's the part I really don't like. I had two opinions before I had the procedure, and both Drs. agreed I needed it. I didn't have much choice - the torn posterior tibialis tendon was torn in three places, and it wasn't going to heal itself - but I wasn't prepared for the really long recovery. I thought I was going to be the one who miraculously healed in two months. Ha! I'll post again in a few months - let you know how it's going...

Old 06-28-2003, 06:58 AM   #13
    Pam Beeson
    (female)

Pam Beeson HB User
    Talking

To PLE;
    could you please explian to me what exactly a calcaneal osteotomy is. i was curious and looked it up but am still not quite sure about the whole procedure. i read your post a few months back on tristi's page but wasn't sure how to respond since all i have had done is a sub-talar fusion and a nerve removal. sounded to me like you have had a really tough go if it makes me feel bad for you. would really appreciate your help. thanks Pam.......

Old 07-08-2003, 06:59 AM   #14
    cjaffee
    (male)

cjaffee HB User
    Question

I'm scheduled to have a calcaneal osteotomy in a few months and I'm trying to get a description of what specifically will be done. The doctor seems to think I'll be up and on cruches in about 2 weeks and starting to walk about 6 weeks after that. But from what I can see that doesn't appear to be the case. I'm curious as to whether anyone can tell me what to really expect. And describe whether screws or pins are used and if so how long would they stay in place. Any information or directions on where to find more information would be appreciated.

Old 07-08-2003, 09:36 PM   #15
    cog

cog HB User
    Hi cjafee....I can only give you my experience - hope it will help a little bit. I spent an entire year trying to find a solution to my painful right foot before I found a Dr. who could explain exactly why I had the pain. I had torn my posterior tibialis tendon in three places, due to my extremely flat foot. My surgery was actually called "adult flat foot reconstruction" - another Dr. called it "posterior tibialis insufficiency." (I had a second opinion before having the surgery.) The actual procedure was to repair the tendon and do a calcaneal osteotomy - the calc. ost. is basically the insertion of a bone graft into the heel (calcanus) so that my foot would have a more normal arch. The heel bone is cut - the incision is made from the right side of the right foot (or left side of the left foot)and the piece of bone (from the Red Cross) is inserted into the place where it was cut. This is all a very simplistic explanation, but it'll do, I guess. Anyway, the reason you can't walk for a while is because the body has to manufacture it's own calcium to support the bone graft - it took seven weeks before the Dr. allowed me to put weight on it, with crutches. I had the surgery on April 2nd, was on crutches right away (and I rented a wheelchair for at home - my arms got VERY tired and sore). I wasn't allowed to put any weight on the foot for seven weeks. I was in a hard cast all the time, but it was changed every 2-3 weeks to put my foot into a different position. At seven weeks I was given a walking boot, and I was allowed to bear some weight with the crutches. I slowly increased the weight, slowly weaned myself off the crutches, and now, at 14 weeks post surgery, I'm walking without crutches and in normal shoes. HOWEVER, I still have some swelling, and I'm going to physical therapy to help regain range of motion. And there is still pain, but it gets better slowly. He told me it was a 6 month recovery, and I believe him.
    I hope this helps!! Good luck!

Closed Thread