It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• can i go back to work 3 months after posterior tibial tendon surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-19-2007, 04:09 PM   #1
    briggs
    (male)

briggs HB User
    can i go back to work 3 months after posterior tibial tendon surgery

I am a 57 year old bricklayer. I tore my tibial tendon about 10 years ago. It is time for surgery.
    My surgery is scheduled for Dec. 14,2007.
    My surgeon says I will be able to go back to work in 3 months. I explained to him I can't take it easy. It will be the same heavy work that I do any other time. My question is: is this time frame realistic? I'am in pain now, but I can't afford to take more than 3 monts off. I am very healthy and heal fast.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
    sunny77
    (female)

sunny77 HB User
    Re: can i go back to work 3 months after posterior tibial tendon surgery

Do you know what specific procedures will be done? Sounds like a tendon transfer for sure if your tendon is torn. Is there an osteotomy (either putting a bone wedge in or moving the heel over, putting pins in) too? I had the posterior tibial tendon repaired (no transfer) and an Evans osteotomy (the bone wedge put in) last May. 2 wks in a splint, 4 in a fiberglass cast and 4 wks in a walking boot (bearing weight as tolerated). PT started after getting out of the cast and lasted 2 months. With the timeline I had, at 3 months, I was just out of the boot a few weeks. I can't imagine having done heavy labor at that point. No balance, weak muscles in leg (calf atrophies big time) and foot (still working on building strength at 25 wks post-op), soreness and some pain after PT. The recovery for this surgery is long and tough. I'm young, fit, a good healer, but a lot of trauma is being done to your foot and it has a lot to do to get its function and strength back. But I understand what a tough position you're in. I went back to work at 3 wks... would've been at 2 wks, but it hurt to have my foot down for long and my job has me driving and in people's homes, so not exactly easy to elevate it. I'm possibly facing the same surgery on my other foot and have been trying to rebuild time off. I'd ask your dr specifically what timeline you'll be on (splint, cast, boot, PT, what to expect). What did he/she say when you mentioned that you had to go back at 3 months?

Last edited by sunny77; 11-19-2007 at 09:36 PM.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:17 AM   #3
    briggs
    (male)

briggs HB User

Thanks Sunny. I'am having a tendon transfer, bone graft, pins and probably arthritis scraped from one of the joints. I specifically told the doctor 3 months was the maximum time I would be able to rehab. He said I could do it, but that amount of time would be a minimum. I've had an mri since I talked to him. I will try to get some more specific information as to exact procedure.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:04 PM   #4
    lesliekupe
    (female)

lesliekupe HB User

I'm a 50 year old ballet teacher, was very active and had the same operation at the end of March 2007, and I'm still not 100% now. Dr's have a habit of understating- i could not have dreamed of lifting weight, or climbing or walking on non-even surfaces at 3 months. Maybe you could talk to a physical therapist that works with this DR and see what he says- My Dr. said I'd be a 100% at 4 months, and my PT said when I told him that- "They all lie". Good Luck. There is a long link about this operation about 1/2 year ago- you should read it.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:01 AM   #5
    briggs
    (male)

briggs HB User

Thanks for the information. The doctor told me I am still going to have a lot of pain and swelling at this point. My main concern was not injuring the surgery that he did to the foot.
    I am expecting to continue to be in a lot for pain for up to a year after the surgery.

I am self employed, so I don't have much choice as to how much time I can take off.
    I've put this off for as long as I can.

I have to bite the bullet and do it now.

Thanks

Closed Thread