It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

  • thinning fat pads???????????

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 11-26-2007, 01:46 PM   #1
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    debbie g's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2006
    Location: highland park, il 60035
    Posts: 2,483
    debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
    thinning fat pads???????????

    the ball of both my feet hurt so bad when i walk. i had toe fusion on the left foot. the pt told me the fat pads are thinning. i have no clue why on both and what i can do to try to alleviate the pain. does anyone have this or heard of this? please help.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 11-27-2007, 04:16 AM   #2
    Albie
    Member
    (male)
     
    Albie's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Location: Sunny Tampa Bay
    Posts: 76
    Albie HB User
    Re: thinning fat pads???????????

    I have the same issue although on just my left foot following a third metatarsal injury. I recently saw a foot and ankle specialist and for the fat pad atrophy he highly recommended "metartarsal cookies" from a company named Hapad. According to him hey are much better and cheaper than any of the "aids" you will find in the retail stores. I ordered 2 pair ($6.00/pr) and they shipped in a couple days. They give good instructions on placement and if placed properly they definitely work. They are pretty permanent so I ordered a couple to start. Best of luck, hope this helps.
    __________________
    "Broke down, Busted up and Out of gas"

    Last edited by moderator2; 11-27-2007 at 05:55 AM. Reason: posted commercial website

     
    Old 11-27-2007, 06:16 AM   #3
    Dark_Light
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Dark_Light's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2007
    Location: London
    Posts: 233
    Dark_Light HB User
    Re: thinning fat pads???????????

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by debbie g View Post
    the ball of both my feet hurt so bad when i walk. i had toe fusion on the left foot. the pt told me the fat pads are thinning. i have no clue why on both and what i can do to try to alleviate the pain. does anyone have this or heard of this? please help.
    Debbie, I am really sorry to hear this. IS your big toe slightly raised? I read that is it is, it usually cause pain on the ball of the foot, until this goes does the pain should lessen. I hope you find something to remedy this and that it isn't permanent.

     
    Old 11-27-2007, 07:02 AM   #4
    bobbyf
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    bobbyf's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2007
    Location: Chippewa Falls WI
    Posts: 3
    bobbyf HB User
    Re: thinning fat pads???????????

    Albie is right-metatarsal pads are the only solution to thinning fat pads. I
    have it below two metatarsals on my left foot and I know it is painful.
    I can't walk without the right padding in my shoe which helps but doesn't
    allow my to be as active as I was before. Do NOT get steroids injected-they
    can cause or worsen the problem. Long -acting steroids reduce inflammation but can permanently atrophy tissue and fat. It happened to me.

     
    Old 11-27-2007, 06:41 PM   #5
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    debbie g's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2006
    Location: highland park, il 60035
    Posts: 2,483
    debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
    Re: thinning fat pads???????????

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dark_Light View Post
    Debbie, I am really sorry to hear this. IS your big toe slightly raised? I read that is it is, it usually cause pain on the ball of the foot, until this goes does the pain should lessen. I hope you find something to remedy this and that it isn't permanent.
    hi dl, my toe will never go down as it is fused so it cant move.

     
    Old 11-27-2007, 06:42 PM   #6
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    debbie g's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2006
    Location: highland park, il 60035
    Posts: 2,483
    debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
    Re: thinning fat pads???????????

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobbyf;332***8
    Albie is right-metatarsal pads are the only solution to thinning fat pads. I
    have it below two metatarsals on my left foot and I know it is painful.
    I can't walk without the right padding in my shoe which helps but doesn't
    allow my to be as active as I was before. Do NOT get steroids injected-they
    can cause or worsen the problem. Long -acting steroids reduce inflammation but can permanently atrophy tissue and fat. It happened to me.
    hi bobbi, what is albies and how do i find that? please let me know thanks, i would appreciate it so much. debbie

     
    Old 11-27-2007, 06:45 PM   #7
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    debbie g's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2006
    Location: highland park, il 60035
    Posts: 2,483
    debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
    Re: thinning fat pads???????????

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Albie View Post
    I have the same issue although on just my left foot following a third metatarsal injury. I recently saw a foot and ankle specialist and for the fat pad atrophy he highly recommended "metartarsal cookies" from a company named Hapad. According to him hey are much better and cheaper than any of the "aids" you will find in the retail stores. I ordered 2 pair ($6.00/pr) and they shipped in a couple days. They give good instructions on placement and if placed properly they definitely work. They are pretty permanent so I ordered a couple to start. Best of luck, hope this helps.
    i have never heard of this please explain more. thanks so much, debbie

     
    Old 11-28-2007, 07:04 AM   #8
    john125
    Member
    (male)
     
    john125's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2007
    Location: Liverpool, UK
    Posts: 50
    john125 HB User
    Re: thinning fat pads???????????

    Hi Deb...sorry to hear about your problem...it's something I have not thought about but will keep an eye on when I start walking again.

     
    Old 11-28-2007, 01:46 PM   #9
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    debbie g's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2006
    Location: highland park, il 60035
    Posts: 2,483
    debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
    Re: thinning fat pads???????????

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john125 View Post
    Hi Deb...sorry to hear about your problem...it's something I have not thought about but will keep an eye on when I start walking again.
    hi john, i hope it doesnt happen to you. how are you doing with this 2nd surgery?

     
    Old 11-29-2007, 01:32 AM   #10
    john125
    Member
    (male)
     
    john125's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2007
    Location: Liverpool, UK
    Posts: 50
    john125 HB User
    Re: thinning fat pads???????????

    Hi Deb...It's going well...had my stitches out last Thursday, my toe looks like it has a tram line on it...here in the U.K we have a product called party feet, it's a gel filled pad that fits under the ball of the foot and it's for woman who wear high heels all the time, its supposed to take the pain away from the ball of the foot, I'm sure they must have a similar product in the States you could try.

     
    Old 11-29-2007, 01:32 PM   #11
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    debbie g's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2006
    Location: highland park, il 60035
    Posts: 2,483
    debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
    Re: thinning fat pads???????????

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john125 View Post
    Hi Deb...It's going well...had my stitches out last Thursday, my toe looks like it has a tram line on it...here in the U.K we have a product called party feet, it's a gel filled pad that fits under the ball of the foot and it's for woman who wear high heels all the time, its supposed to take the pain away from the ball of the foot, I'm sure they must have a similar product in the States you could try.
    thanks john, they do sell them here and i am going to try the ball of foot gels tonite. i will let you know. my foot is so ugly looking, but most important we should be pain free and your fusion better work.

     
    Old 11-30-2007, 02:15 AM   #12
    john125
    Member
    (male)
     
    john125's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2007
    Location: Liverpool, UK
    Posts: 50
    john125 HB User
    Re: thinning fat pads???????????

    I have to say Deb this time the fusion feels very good and at the moment there is not a lot of pain in fact it feels almost normal...good luck with the gel pads!!!!!!

     
    Old 11-30-2007, 07:17 AM   #13
    Dark_Light
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Dark_Light's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2007
    Location: London
    Posts: 233
    Dark_Light HB User
    Re: thinning fat pads???????????

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by debbie g View Post
    hi dl, my toe will never go down as it is fused so it cant move.
    Hi debbie,

    I was thinking, have you done any toe exercises? I have a fusion and my toe is stiff and it points downward (lower than the rest of the toes). My Surgeon said I will have to do exercises but didn't say when I could start. When I asked my nurse if it's normal for my toe to point downward, she said it was, so I can only imagines that it will return to it's normal position, because it would be very difficult and painful to walk on it.

    Those foot gels mentioned by John, are very good, they even make the full insoles. I really do hope you can find a permanent solution without having to add anything in your shoes. I guess it's still early and you are still healing, have you spoken to your surgeon?

    Good luck

     
    Old 11-30-2007, 03:13 PM   #14
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    debbie g's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2006
    Location: highland park, il 60035
    Posts: 2,483
    debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
    Re: thinning fat pads???????????

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dark_Light View Post
    Hi debbie,

    I was thinking, have you done any toe exercises? I have a fusion and my toe is stiff and it points downward (lower than the rest of the toes). My Surgeon said I will have to do exercises but didn't say when I could start. When I asked my nurse if it's normal for my toe to point downward, she said it was, so I can only imagines that it will return to it's normal position, because it would be very difficult and painful to walk on it.

    Those foot gels mentioned by John, are very good, they even make the full insoles. I really do hope you can find a permanent solution without having to add anything in your shoes. I guess it's still early and you are still healing, have you spoken to your surgeon?

    Good luck
    hi dl, my toe cant bend at all so it will never go back to a normal position. i did buy the ball of foot pads, but they didnt help. now i will buy the insoles.

     
    Old 02-21-2008, 10:27 PM   #15
    sealover
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Aug 2003
    Posts: 304
    sealover HB Usersealover HB User
    Re: thinning fat pads???????????

    I have fat pad atrophy in the ball of my left foot due to two cortisone injections. The atrophy started about a month following the 2nd injection. I was never warned that this could happen. Anyway, it is very painful to have a lack of fat padding below your metatarsal bones, as a lack of natural fat padding causes the metatarsal bones to receive more pressure.

    It helps to have good padding in shoes in the ball of foot area, but in my case, I still have pain no matter what.

    I would advise you to use padding that mimicks the natural padding in your foot, such as padding that is comprised of polymer gel (polymer gel is not in liquid form, but it is a solid gel that is very elastic). Check out the ball of foot pads made by the company Silipos (do a search online).

    Hope you find a product that relieves your pain. I understand what it's like to walk on a foot has lost fat padding.

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Hair thinning while on Statins???? JeaneM High Cholesterol 16 03-12-2007 03:59 PM
    Thinning front teeth Mike473 Dental Health 0 01-14-2004 01:45 PM
    buccal fat pad removal--(cheek thinning procedure) shannyjoany Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery 14 06-02-2003 09:21 AM
    acne or thinning hair? mellon collie Acne 5 05-17-2003 07:12 AM
    Accutane and Hair Loss or thinning hair dualboot8 Hair Loss / Alopecia 8 04-29-2003 06:55 AM
    Hair (thinning and falling out) Gulia Hair Problems 4 02-17-2003 07:20 AM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:53 AM.





    © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!