It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Having bunion surgery Dec 12th......getting very nervous!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-07-2007, 11:02 PM   #1
wildflower73
(female)

wildflower73 HB User
Having bunion surgery Dec 12th......getting very nervous!

Hi my name is Lisa, I'm 34 and having bunion surgery Wed. They are performing a bunionectomy also doing the osteotomy where my big toe is repositioned w/screws. It sounds like there will be a small incision where a tendon will be cut and a larger one on medial part of my left foot where they cut into the bone to insert screws. I will have a nerve block when I leave but am wondering what kind of pain to expect. I have never even had a stitch, much less broken a bone. Is is going to throb, burn, all of the above? I have pain meds and am wondering how soon to start taking them. I don't want to feel much of anything. I'm expecting the worst and after reading some of these posts it isn't a very pleasant experience!

I have crutches for 4 weeks and was told I may not even need a walking boot but just the small velcro shoe. My mom is flying in to take care of me for a few days after

Any advise or information from people that have done it would be great!! Thanks - Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
monster bunion
(female)

monster bunion HB User
Re: Having bunion surgery Dec 12th......getting very nervous!

Hi,
For me, the day of the bunion surgery, the pain felt like an elephant was standing on my foot. It also throbbed too. The pain can be lessened with pain meds, an ice pack, and elevation of the foot above your heart. The second day was worse, with more throbbing than the day before. After that, the pain gets less and less and you will be tapering down on the pain meds.
Good luck, you will be fine.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:42 AM   #3
delem
(female)

delem HB User

Hey you. You must be feeling quite anxious about the surgery. Try to ease your mind so that your body can heal properly.

I'm 8 days post op from a double bunionectomy and triple hammertoe correction on each foot. I also had some hardware put in: two permanent screws for each bunion (austin procedure) and one temporary pin in each toe. So far I've been feeling fantastic! I took pain meds for three days following the surgery (the first one about 8 hours after coming home since the anesthesia was still in effect). I honestly didn't feel pain EVER but was taking the meds every six hours just to be sure that real true pain never kicked in. More than anything you will feel uncomfortable. It's interesting to feel the day by day differences in feeling:

Day 1: Still numb from the anesthesia (I also had an ankle block with IV sedation "twilight"). My feet felt heavy and numb, very numb actually, like pins and needles. You could tell that they were swollen but not discolored or anything.
Day 2 and 3: Still some numbness. Sort of like my feet were asleep. I kept applying pressure to my toe nail to see how quickly the pinkness returned, just to be sure I was getting circulation.
Day 4: I can sorta feel the pins. I'd like to wiggle my toes to be sure they're still mobile but that's probably not a good idea.
Day 5 onward: My incisions feel tight. It doesn't hurt or burn but I feel some sort of pulling. It helps when I have them elevated.

Two days ago I began taking ibuprofen three times daily to control the swelling. For me, the less swelling the less pain. Also, doctors have said time and time again that the first few days are most important to the overall recovery so it is important to keep swelling down to a minimum. Elevate and ice as much as humanly possible!

I did some research that you might be interested in. Supposedly zinc helps your body heal faster so since you're still in your presurgery days you may want to check with your doctor to see if you can take a supplement. Also, lots of vitamin C in the days leading up to surgery helps as well, but again, check with your doctor!

Anyway, good luck and keep those questions coming!

Old 12-08-2007, 09:50 AM   #4
becky060599
(female)

becky060599 HB User
Smile Re: Having bunion surgery Dec 12th......getting very nervous!

Lisa
I had the same procedure but instead of screws in the medial part of the bone, he cut the bone and put a bone graft in there.
Listen to your doctor, elevate and take the pain meds as needed.
ALso, get some calcium supplements and take them. I take two calcium supplements per day.
You will be fine. And if he/she tells you to work your big toe, listen because it will get stiff and scar tissue will form. Ask about PT also. There are things the PT person can do to keep range of motion in your ankle and your leg. You will be amazed how your leg shrinks if you do not use it.
Before my surgery, I worked out and had good muscle mass in my leg.
Now my leg looks so so thin.
Good luck and keep a positive attitude.;

Old 12-08-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
debbie g
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

the pain wont be that bad. you have some good advice. why would you need crutches? good luck

Old 12-08-2007, 08:21 PM   #6
stepbystep89
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

After surgey elevate, elevate, elevate. Make sure the toe is at a level higher than your heart or it doesn't count.
Ask your dr before you take ibuprofren. Some orthos don't like it.
I hope this helps.
Step

Old 12-12-2007, 09:05 PM   #7
pohtr
(female)

pohtr HB User

Wildflower,
I guess you had your surgery today and wanted you to know someone was thinking about you. The thread you started has been helpful to me since I'm scheduled for Jan 3. Getting nervous also. Please keep us posted on how you're doing.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:28 PM   #8
wildflower73
(female)

wildflower73 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Having bunion surgery Dec 12th......getting very nervous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pohtr View Post
Wildflower,
I guess you had your surgery today and wanted you to know someone was thinking about you. The thread you started has been helpful to me since I'm scheduled for Jan 3. Getting nervous also. Please keep us posted on how you're doing.
Thanks so much for the thoughts. The surgery went great. I was wheeled in the or about 845am and home in bed by 1030. I felt like a rock start yesterday and started pain meds a few hours after I had gotten home. My foot started tingling into the evening. I had an ankle block that lasted about 12 hrs. I slept through the night and the ankle block wore off sometime then. Felt pretty sore this morning but started on meds again and I feel pretty good. It was like a constant dull pain all over my foot. I was told to keep my boot on all the time even when I am sleeping so I keep putting ice packs over the bandages and the boot velcro holds them in. I really thought I would be feeling much worse. They ended up installing a plate that is shaped like a dog bone instead of just screws to straighten the big toe. The plate has a screw in each of the 4 corners. I'll keep you posted. Lisa

Old 12-13-2007, 08:57 PM   #9
pohtr
(female)

pohtr HB User

That's good news that your surgery went well, and the pain is managable. The fact that you're able to use the computer is a good sign. Do you have a laptop? I wonder how long it'll be before I can get myself to the other side of the house to use my desktop when the time comes. What did they give you for pain meds? I like Modelem's idea about taking the meds before the pain, starting while the block is still working.
Are you able to get to the bathroom?

Old 12-14-2007, 07:17 PM   #10
debbie g
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

wildflower, glad you are doing ok. do you have crutches?

Old 12-15-2007, 12:20 PM   #11
wildflower73
(female)

wildflower73 HB User
I do have crutches..........in fact they want me to use them and not put weight on my foot for 4 weeks. I padded the armpits of the crutch w/some fur and flame fabric and also made a velcro "purse" that I attached to the crutch w/ties on either side. I am able to put a magazine or a banana or some yogurt in the purse and get situated. I am able to get to the bathroom just fine and can rest a little on my heel of my surgery foot for balance. I am in a boot that goes about 1/2 up my calf and was told to keep that on even while I sleep. I do feel pretty protected in it. I did loosen up my bandage to relieve some of the swelling pressure. I go in Wed to have my foot dressing changed.

I would highly recommend taking pain pills in the middle of the night so they don't wear off by morning. I had two really bad mornings where the pain was horrible because I had slept through the night. I set an alarm last night to take a couple pills and felt great this morning. I also took a shower for the first time since Wed. I feel like a whole new woman!!

I have a lap top but was able to sit at my computer desk and keep my foot up on a little stool while I checked stuff.

<<<<removed>>>>>>>

That's all I have to report at the moment. Thanks for all the input here. Lisa

--

pohtr:

I just wrote a lot in the above post too but I have hydrocodone (generic loratabs) sp? 7.5 mg for the pain and I started them before the block wore off - I felt a little tingly when I went to bed that night but it was morning when I discovered that the block had definitely wore off and I wasn't medicated enough. Pain meds are your friend - don't be afraid to take them. I take 2 every 4 hrs at night and one during the day time. I'm just a little loopy but can still carry on a conversation (I think) I can get to the bathroom easy enough - that is about the only place I go these days. I just put my crutches against the sink and hop to the toilet and use my heel for balance only. It's amazing how you don't use your bad foot when you know it will hurt!! I'm not big on pain and am getting through this. Keeping the velcro boot on is very good to secure fresh ice packs in too!! Lisa

Last edited by moderator2; 12-15-2007 at 12:40 PM.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:44 PM   #12
kat6745
(female)

kat6745 HB User

Hi Lisa,

I'm glad you're feeling better. I'm having surgery in the morning (chevron bunionectomy & endoscopic plantar fasciotomy) & reading your posts has really helped me to "gear up" mentally. I'm still pretty nervous tonight, though. It'll be great once my foot heals & I can walk without pain, but getting there is the hard part! I guess once they get my IV going in the morning I won't care for awhile. I hope my nerve block lasts a loooonnng time!LOL!

Keep posting about how you're progressing, it helps us newbies!

Take care!
Kathy

Old 12-18-2007, 10:53 AM   #13
wildflower73
(female)

wildflower73 HB User

I go back to the Dr. tomorrow and have my bandage taken off. I think they just tape it now. I have to go in for the next month once a week. I know they cut the tendon on the inside of my big toe. Does anyone know what happens to the tendon? Does it just adhere to a new area? I'm going to check tomorrow. I'm feeling pretty good and am off the pain meds as of today. I have driven a couple places and can get in and out of the car ok. Once I'm in a store - I'm too tired to do much. My mom leaves on Thur so I wanted to be sure I can get somewhere if I have to but don't plan to venture out too much until I can ditch the crutches. Would love some ideas on exercises to do while healing so I don't lose all the muscle tone. I've been doing leg lifts for quads and bicycle motions to work the rest of the leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat6745 View Post
Hi Lisa,

I'm glad you're feeling better. I'm having surgery in the morning (chevron bunionectomy & endoscopic plantar fasciotomy) & reading your posts has really helped me to "gear up" mentally. I'm still pretty nervous tonight, though. It'll be great once my foot heals & I can walk without pain, but getting there is the hard part! I guess once they get my IV going in the morning I won't care for awhile. I hope my nerve block lasts a loooonnng time!LOL!

Keep posting about how you're progressing, it helps us newbies!

Take care!
Kathy

Old 12-18-2007, 11:19 AM   #14
delem
(female)

delem HB User

I don't know squat about exercising but one stretching motion that I found VERY relieving was to lie down on my stomach, feet hanging off the end of the bed (dont want my pins to mush against the bed), and pull one foot back at a time as far up to my butt as possible. My knees and the back of my thighs breathe a sigh of relief every time I do it!

Closed Thread