It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

bunion surgery recovery

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2007, 07:23 PM   #1
itsme53
(female)

itsme53 HB User
bunion surgery recovery

I'm scheduled for bunion surgery in a few weeks. The doc says I need to have both feet done and I can either have them done one at a time or both at same time. I'm thinking of just getting it over with and doing both at same time but am unsure about recovering with both feet immobile. Would I be in a wheelchair? Can I get up to walk to the bath or could I even walk at all? I hear it's painful--would the pain be unbearable with both feet done? Could I drive? Am trying to be practical here and need tips on how to make this decision. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2007, 08:06 AM   #2
KathJack
(female)

KathJack HB User
Re: bunion surgery recovery

Unless your doctor says you need to be in a cast or walking boot, you should not need a wheelchair unless you want it for getting around outside. I had both feet done at once and was loaned a motorized chair which I used as my own personal mini-car to go places that were too far for me to walk. It was convenient, but not necessary. I could walk to the bathroom from Day One, but was told not to go any further than that for the first week. (Believe me, you won't want to anyway!-- Plus you need to elevate, elevate, elevate to reduce swelling.) Second week I could make it to the kitchen; after that I was able to be independent-- although I am glad I did not need to go back to work or care for children at that point. There were two threads in the spring of 2005 titled Double Bunionectomy Questions that related numerous people's experiences and had lots of helpful advice; you might want to check them out. I did not think pain for one foot vs. two was an issue. There was some pain, but it was moderate and did not last that long. The first week is the worst, but the right medications (and timing) made it very bearable. I was never in so much pain that I couldn't read, watch TV, converse, etc. and I'm a pretty big baby pain-wise. Driving would take a while-- at least two weeks, maybe four. That's why I enjoyed having the motorized wheelchair; I was able to get out and about when no one was available to drive me. I am very glad that I had both feet done at once, but it is a decision that has to be made with consideration of your circumstances, your doctor's restrictions, etc. I hope you get all the information you need to make the best choice for yourself.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:38 PM   #3
pohtr
(female)

pohtr HB User

I'm scheduled for both feet this Thu (Jan 3). My reasoning is that I should be laid up for the same time as I would with just one, and mostly because it's cheaper and I can't get health insurance.
This forum is a great place to find out how others did and ways in which you can prepare. I've been preparing for weeks.
My Dr. said ice & elevate 3-4 days (I'm planning on 1-2 weeks), keep dry for 7days (I'm buying a cast cover), and surgical sandles for 4 weeks. Also no horseback riding for 3 months. Don't know about the driving yet. I also have crutches, a walker and a wheelchair on stand-by.
When's your surgery date?

Old 01-05-2008, 06:56 PM   #4
coryosity
(female)

coryosity HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme53 View Post
I'm scheduled for bunion surgery in a few weeks. The doc says I need to have both feet done and I can either have them done one at a time or both at same time. I'm thinking of just getting it over with and doing both at same time but am unsure about recovering with both feet immobile. Would I be in a wheelchair? Can I get up to walk to the bath or could I even walk at all? I hear it's painful--would the pain be unbearable with both feet done? Could I drive? Am trying to be practical here and need tips on how to make this decision. Thanks!

Last edited by coryosity; 01-05-2008 at 06:57 PM. Reason: didn't respond

Old 01-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
coryosity
(female)

coryosity HB User
Wink Re: bunion surgery recovery

Hello. I just had my right foot done yesterday. I had my other foot done on November 16th. My left foot is just starting to feel like it is strong enough to support my newly de-bunioned foot. I can't imagine what it would have been like to have had both feet done in the same month even.I am able to get to the bathroom and slowly get to the kitchen and back on my own on day 2. If you decide to do both feet done at or around the same time, I suggest you have someone home to help you.Good luck! Remember...elevate and ice are key!

Old 01-06-2008, 08:21 AM   #6
Stitcher317
(female)

Stitcher317 HB User
Smile Re: bunion surgery recovery

Sounds like you are doing great. I am scheduling my surgery this week. I have been putting this off for about 10 months.....

What procedure did you have? I have to decide on whether I am getting an implant or having the Keller Procedure. I have Hallux Rigidus.

What kind of pain medication did your Dr. give you? Do you think you could handle the discomfort without anything more than Aleve and ice? Most meds. make me sick......

Feel well and have a great day.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
pohtr
(female)

pohtr HB User

itsme53 - As far as having them both done at one time, I'm at day 6 post op and had them both done together. I don't see where it would be that much less trouble having just one. I'm in surgical sandles and am allowed to walk to the bathroom and a litle bit more as tolerated. I could see where if you couldn't get anywhere at all it would be miserable but otherwise I wouldn't do it any other way. The pain meds work just as well on 2 feet at a time as they would on 1, I would think.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #8
dancing feet
(female)

dancing feet HB User

My doctor wouldn't even consider doing both feet at the same time. I had a bunionectomy, an implant, and arthritis scraped away and perhaps that's why I had so much pain. I, too, suggest that you have someone available to help you at least the first 3 or 4 days as it is quite difficult to get around. I was told I had to be a couch potato for 3 days and only get up to go to the bathroom. It was almost 2 months befor I was weight bearing. Icing and elevating is extremely important. Even doing that, I still have swelling (had this done 14 + months ago. Unfortunately, my implant has not been successful and I am now going in for a second surgery to have it removed. Good Luck to you.

Closed Thread