It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• swelling and bruising after bunionetomy...scared

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2008, 10:15 PM   #1
    wmkcolors
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User
    swelling and bruising after bunionetomy...scared

I had an austin/akin bunionectomy on Dec.27th. About 5 days post opt, I hobbled and "heel" walked for about a week, between doctor visits. My doctor took off the bandage, for the second time today, 11 days post op, I have severe swelling and bruising. All my toes are bruised! Did anyone else swell and bruise? Needless to say, elevation is now my mantra? How was your healing process 1-2-3 weeks out? The swelling is scaring me. No one has talked about swelling or bruising much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2008, 07:01 AM   #2
    Zardtoe
    (female)

Zardtoe HB User
    Re: swelling and bruising after bunionetomy...scared

Hiya! What you're describing sounds totally normal, and not to worry overly about. If it gets hot, then I'd worry, but my foot was very red, purply, and swollen for quite some time. I really didn't feel like it started to get much less swollen until about a month. Maybe the very worst subsided after about 10-12 days, but it was quite sausagy for a long time. When you get back to taking showers, it'll scare you, too, since they tend to get really dark purply then - ooghie! But, you elevate and ice a bit and it goes back... Good luck. It's not fun, but it does get better! By about 8 weeks I was out walking around the neighborhood again (gingerly, but still nice to be out!).

Old 01-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
    kat6745
    (female)

kat6745 HB User

Hi, I had the same type of bunionectomy as you on Dec. 17th and my foot was very bruised & swollen. I wondered what the heck they had done to my foot, but it's really normal. I'm actually still bruised, & swell a bit now, too, at day 22 post-surgery. It's much less than it was, thank goodness!

I started physical therapy yesterday & asked the therapist how come my whole foot was bruised when I only had surgery on the bunion & heel. She said that it's normal and just a part of how your circulation works when you have surgery.

It will get better, it just looks scary. Elevation helps with the swelling, that's for sure!

Take care!
    Kathy

Last edited by kat6745; 01-08-2008 at 01:42 PM.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:53 PM   #4
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

swelling and brusing are normal. dont be scared. everyday it gets better and better. hang in there.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:12 PM   #5
    wmkcolors
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User

When did you feel safe enough to walk some and put weight on it? I was obviously being unrealistic, just a few days post op, to try to hobble. Thanks.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:06 PM   #6
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i had a surgical shoe for several weeks.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:27 PM   #7
    pohtr
    (female)

pohtr HB User

I hobbled to the bathroom right away and had the sandles. I believe I ventured out of the bedroom by day 4 or so and have been heel walking and hobbling around since. When I over-do it aches & swells. So I wander around and then elevate & ice. My swelling is minimal but the colors are a little scarey. My pod said it was o.k. to walk around but to always have the sandles on.

Closed Thread