It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• tingly foot after bunionectomy? time of NWB?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
    wmkcolors
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User
    tingly foot after bunionectomy? time of NWB?

I just had a bunionectomy, 2 weeks ago. It feels quite tingly and prickly and my arch aches. I've primarily been NWB (non weight bearing.) I've tried to do some minor weight bearing walking, but my foot feels a bit numb. It tires easily and, mostly, I want to elevate and ice it still. The doctor said it takes time for the nerves to regenerate. He also said I could begin toe exercises. Has anyone else experienced this tingly, prickly sensation, and, if so, did it gradually decrease as you used your foot more...? Did your arch hurt? When did you feel comfortable putting weight on your post-op foot? Thanks for sharing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #2
    pohtr
    (female)

pohtr HB User
    Re: tingly foot after bunionectomy? time of NWB?

I'm only one week post op and I definitely have the tingly feet and today I've been really achey in the arch, and the tops feel irritated, kind of itchy & prickly. I've been on my feet or had them on the floor probably a little too much today & yesterday so I figured that was my feets way of saying GET OFF ME.
    I feel lumps in my arches (had both done).

Old 01-12-2008, 08:01 AM   #3
    KathJack
    (female)

KathJack HB User
    Re: tingly foot after bunionectomy? time of NWB?

I experienced the tingling and numbness-- It does gradually go away, but can take a long time. The tingling goes away long before all of the numbness. I am 1 year, 7 months post-surgery and I still have a VERY slight bit of numbness; it has gradually receded over the last year & a half. After about two months, it was no longer a concern at all-- The tingling was minor and I figured even permanent numbness was far preferable to the pain I'd been experiencing. However, I expect to have full feeling back soon; the numbness is now so slight I wouldn't notice it if I didn't press on parts of my toe testing for it. I don't remember arch pain as much, but if you've been "walking funny" (Who doesn't after this surgery?!), your feet may be reacting to that. Listen To Your Feet was the best advice my doctor gave me. I started walking after two weeks (I was weight-bearing before that, but just to go to the bathroom, kitchen, etc.) Getting back into shape is great and I was eager to do as much as I could, but when it starts being painful or even just aching more, stop. It's not like some surgeries where it's good to "work through the pain." I continued to elevate and even ice for many weeks-- I might walk for a mile, then come home and put my feet up and stay off of them for a couple of hours. Bending the toes is good; I did that and am very pleased at the degree of flexibility I have now. Hope you don't get discouraged-- The process isn't fun, but I felt it was well worth all of the inconvenience and suffering; I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I LOVE having "normal" pain-free feet! Best wishes for a full recovery.

Closed Thread