It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Fractured Calcaneus / Ankle Problems?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2008, 04:44 AM   #1
    DaleZ
    (male)

DaleZ HB User
    Fractured Calcaneus / Ankle Problems?

Greetings,

It’s been a while since I have posted on the board but would like to start with a bit of gratitude for the help received several months ago when I became member.

Last July I fell 12 feet from a ladder and fractured my left heel. Had ORIF plate and screws installed. Complications were RSD which was treated successfully with twelve sympathetic nerve block injections. Other then that recovery and PT have been OK except my fear is that something is just not right with my ankle.
    My dorsiflexion and plantarflexion movements are good as far as pain is concerned but the inversion or eversion (side-to-side) movement will bring me to my knees.
    I have an appointment next week with my OS (follow up) but just trying to educate myself before going seeing her, sometimes they are so busy I feel like I am rushed in and rushed out and it I am not ready with my questions I feel like I missed my opportunity.
    From what I can find on the internet it is very possible that one could damage the ankle joint after sustaining a fractured calcaneus.
    So I guess what I am asking is are there others here that have experienced ankle problems as well from a fractured heel and what was the out come / fix?

Thanks Dale

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2008, 10:34 AM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: Fractured Calcaneus / Ankle Problems?

Okay, the "ankle joint" is complicated. There's what a doctor calls the ankle joint, which is where your leg bones (tibia and fibula) meet the talus bone. That just moves your foot up and down. Apparently, yours is ok.

The side to side movement comes partly from the subtalar joint, between the calcaneus and the talus. Subtalar joint problems are a common complication of calcaneal fractures, and the doctor will need to figure out exactly what's wrong with yours. It could be anything from stiffness needing to be worked out to arthritis requiring fusion of the subtalar joint.

If any of this is news to you, you may want to find a picture of the ankle and foot bones.

Last edited by janewhite1; 02-04-2008 at 10:34 AM.

Closed Thread