It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• 7 weeks post op osteotomy --need advice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-06-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
    jdm1
    (female)

jdm1 HB User
    7 weeks post op osteotomy --need advice

Hi All,
    Haven't been to this board in a while, but I need some advice. Let me give a brief history. In Dec. 99, I had a osteotomy and joint repair of the left big toe. That didn't really work so I had an implant in Dec. 00. The implant didn't work and was basically fused. However, since I wasn't in pain at that time, I ignored it. The pain came back, and in Feb. 04 I had a fusion with a bone graft from my hip. That was the best thing I ever did. I had the hardware removed in June 05. My left foot is doing great...thank goodness.

Now, on to the right foot. I have always had a bone growth on the top of my foot at the base of the big toe. I was told that eventually it would have to come off, but until it bothered me I ignored it. I had an osteotomey last December. When my dr. went in she saw cartialge damage (yes, I danced on point for a few years back in college) and fixed that also.

I am about 7 weeks post op and have been in physical therapy for 3 weeks. I am having troupble walking without pain. If I roll out (which is bad because of the ankle stress), my toe doesn't hurt. If I walk they way I should, there is pain over the big toe joint. I am supposed to go back to work in 2 weeks. I am a teacher (1st grade) and I am on my feet all the time. I am not sure if I just need to "deal with it" and go back or if I should stay out a little longer.
    What do you think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2008, 02:09 PM   #2
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
    Re: 7 weeks post op osteotomy --need advice

i am not sure what kind of surgery you had this time, but it does not sound like you should be in this much pain. i would go back to the dr and find out. i know those 1st graders keep you hopping!!!

Closed Thread