It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• what can i do for pain after lisfranc injury surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #1
    jthomas270
    (male)

jthomas270 HB User
    what can i do for pain after lisfranc injury surgery

it has been a 18 months since I got injured in an accident. the pain seems to have gotten progressively worse. what can i do for pain after lisfranc injury surgery

The following user gives a hug of support to jthomas270:
    Toughbreak (03-15-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2008, 11:52 AM   #2
    RBall Player
    (male)

RBall Player HB User
    Re: what can i do for pain after lisfranc injury surgery

I suffered a Lisfranc injury last July, ended up having surgery in Aug where two screws were used to hold everything in place while it healed up. The screws were supposed to be permanant, unless they caused problems. One did when it decided to back out by itself. While I could still walk and get around, I was in constant pain until I was able to get it removed. I had the other screw taken out at the same time - I didn't want to have to go through the whole process again.

The flexibility and mobility of the foot was much better once all the hardware was removed. Did you have any hardware - and do you still have it? What has your Dr. said about your situation?

Old 03-06-2008, 07:29 AM   #3
    jthomas270
    (male)

jthomas270 HB User

Thanks for answering.
    I actually had three screws in my foot but were later removed. The doctor felt they should be because of the possibility of them breaking which would make it much harder to take them out. I also had 2 rods that ran the width of my foot. Those were also removed at about 8 weeks. My pain actually feels like an electrical shock or being stabbed in the side of my foot. It happens mostly when I've been on it for along time or just put pressure on it. I have been able to run some but of course suffer the consequences later on. I actually had to quit because the pain got so bad. This may just be the problem, but whether I run or not I still get this pain. I read somewhere that someone else had a similar pain and was talking about another surgery to correct it.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:13 AM   #4
    DB25124
    (male)

DB25124 HB User

I'm having my surgery this Tuesday, April 22, 2008. I'm a little nervous because I have not heard any positive feedback after one has had a lisfranc surgery. At 46, I still consider myself to be in pretty good shape. But now I'm concerned that my basketball days are over. Talk to me!

Old 04-22-2008, 10:02 PM   #5
    RBall Player
    (male)

RBall Player HB User

Hey DB-

Don't give up yet! I visit this board once in a while and just now read your post, and hope your surgery went well today.

When I was first diagnosed with the Lisfranc injury (injured 7/11/07, misdiagnosed and then diagnosed correctly more than 2 weeks later, surgery on 8/14/07), I too searched for information on the www - and found this board. There was not a lot of good news/stories/experiences to be found. I too was pretty disheartened, thinking my active lifestyle was done.

I play competitive, tournament racquetball at the Open (top amateur) level - speed and agility are required, and (lucky for me) have always been a strong part of my game. To say that I was worried that I wouldn't be able to play again would be an understatement.

I decided to stop reading the horror stories and focus on getting fixed up and healed.

It's my opinion (now) that the majority of those that have gone through this injury and get better rarely come back and share their success stories. Instead, those people that (unfortunately) still have problems/pain are the ones that are posting - looking for help or answers.

I feel I'm one of those with a success story.

My last surgery was 12/18/07, when the two screws were removed. This was a week before my 40th birthday. I had originally been cleared to start playing rball again in early November, and the return to this activity is what likely caused one of the screws in my foot to back out, requiring the 2nd surgery.

I returned to tournament competition the 3rd weekend in February - a Pro Stop that features the best players in the world. I ended up playing a top-25 Pro in my first match. I didn't score much, and it went pretty fast - but I certainly didn't consider it to be a loss. Rather, it was the biggest victory I'd had in over 7 months...maybe longer.

I've played in a few tournaments since, and have taken home awards from both the State Singles Championships and NW Regional Championships.

My endurance is still not what it was, and the foot gets tired more quickly than it did before the injury. However, it seems to be getting better every day. I play pain-free, but it is a little stiff and tired afterwards. I just finished the NW Regional Tournament this past Sunday - and my body was sore just about everywhere. It's kind of funny how my foot was not the most painful body part.

Stay positive!

Old 04-25-2008, 07:02 AM   #6
    DB25124
    (male)

DB25124 HB User

Thanks for the response. The surgeon delayed the surgery because he want to conduct a cat scan. According to the surgeon, they will need to remove a bone from my shin and place it in my foot. From there, he will fuse the bones together.

The reason for the fusion is beacuse my employer waited too long the authorize the MRI and surgery.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:23 PM   #7
    Deano73
    (male)

Deano73 HB User

Hey guys and gals--- I'm really looking for some info on my lisfranc injury rehab sched.

Backround: 34 years young male who fell 20 feet off a ladder. Had a 2+mm dislocation of the lisfranc joint between the first and second metartarsel. Had surgery one week after the fall and had 2 screws inserted( one from the fist Met. to the cuniform and one from the first met to the second one to shore up that keystone area.
    I am presently 3 weeks post op. and in the hard cast. I graduate to the walking boot on 5/14/08 and am really looking forward to that.

My ? for all of the recovered people is how long did it take for you to walk normally without the boot. I need to go back to work ASAP and cannot be in a boot.

Also how long was it before you were able to run 3 or 4 mile without pain and swelling.

Thanx guys

Old 04-25-2008, 05:13 PM   #8
    DB25124
    (male)

DB25124 HB User

Keep me posted. I believe we have the same injury, except for I waited to long to have surgery. Did you stay in the hospital over night after your surgery?

Old 04-26-2008, 11:11 AM   #9
    Deano73
    (male)

Deano73 HB User

No I did not stay overnight. Surgery was at 7:00 am and was out of the hospital by 14:00. I had minimal pain. The worst was the next day, but not to bad. Elevating the foot helps a lot. Ice too. I'm looking forward to the boot on 5/14/08 so I can walk around.

I have actually put my full wt(not recommended) on my cast and it felt ok. I just need to get walking normally to return to work. The running will come in time since I use to run road races on a regular basis.
    I was told it is very important to keep a positive mental outlook, so thats what i'm trying to do. Hope all goes well with your foot. let me know

Old 04-28-2008, 12:06 PM   #10
    RBall Player
    (male)

RBall Player HB User

Deano -

It sounds like you and I had pretty much the same injury/surgery. I had my hard cast removed after a week, and was placed back in the boot and told to be totally NWB for 6 weeks after the surgery. I understood the NWB was absolutely necessary for the proper healing to occur.

After the 6 weeks NWB, I was cleared to start putting weight on it again, while wearing the boot for another 4 weeks. I was told it might take several days to transition fully off the crutches and be full weight bearing - but it only took me about 24 hours. I started phys therapy the following week - I wore the boot to PT, took it off to workout, then put it back on to go back home (therapist's orders).

I was pretty much boot-free after 4 weeks of PT - and was cleared by Dr to start playing rball again.

Running 3-4 miles? Not really my gig, lol. But I could play an hour of rball shortly after being cleared. Nowhere near 100%, mind you - the foot was not strong enough to push off side-to-side efficiently (injured my right foot - pushing off to move to the left was difficult). I would come home and ice it each time when I started back. However, I haven't needed to ice it in a long time.

Make sure to do the PT, it really makes a difference. My calf and upper leg had really atrophied from only 6 weeks of inactivity, it was clearly visible after only 2 weeks of NWB. I got myself back into the weight room about 3 weeks post-surgery, working out upper body and even some upper leg exercises (hams and quads), but couldn't do anything for my calf. Took awhile getting around the weight room (machines only - had to stay away from free-weights) on a pair of crutches, but it was better than sitting on my butt in front of the tv.

Is ladder climbing necessary for your work? Being able to support yourself on ladder rungs really might be difficult, with all your weight on your arch or toes.

Do what you can, but let your foot heal up right. Good luck!

Old 04-28-2008, 12:25 PM   #11
    RBall Player
    (male)

RBall Player HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DB25124 View Post
    Keep me posted. I believe we have the same injury, except for I waited to long to have surgery.
    How long ago did your injury occur?

Old 04-28-2008, 03:52 PM   #12
    Deano73
    (male)

Deano73 HB User

Hey Rball player,

Thanx for the info. I is great to hear a story like yours. I have heard a and read so many neg. stories and rehabs that I was starting to wonder if I was going to be back to normal( relative term 4 me).
    I am 3.5 weeks post surgery and in the hard cast- Dr. recommended the hard cast due to me wanting to put wt. on it. I wont do that anymore since it cant be good.
    May 14th is cast off day. Hope to do as well as you did with the boot.
    Does your big toe hurt. I can't seem to bring it up all the way?

Thanx

Old 04-29-2008, 01:22 AM   #13
    RBall Player
    (male)

RBall Player HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Deano73 View Post
    Does your big toe hurt. I can't seem to bring it up all the way?
    Not anymore. It did, however, soon after the surgery. I had two incisions, the big one being about 3 +/- inches on the top of my foot, running in the direction from my big toe towards my ankle. I assume you have the same. You had muscles cut there that affect the big toe area in order for your surgeon to get access to and put screws in the metatarsals. It'll get better.

I figure your foot is still pretty swollen. I was able to take off my boot when going to bed, or when just sitting around the house while NWB. The swelling would go down overnight, but would puff right back up as soon as I became upright in the morning. The swelling only really starts to go back down (and stays down) when you start weight bearing again.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:48 PM   #14
    Deano73
    (male)

Deano73 HB User

RBALL and DB,

Good to hear the swelling goes down and the toe gets back to normal. My foot is still a balloon most of the day, but as you said its ok in the morning.

It sounds like it took about 5 weeks after wt. bearing was the time frame for you to walk normally. I am hopeful to do the same. My surgery was on 4/1/08 and like you said had 2 incisions -- the long one on top and a small one on the inside of the foot that goes horizontally across the 1st and sec mets.

More ?'s for you. Do you have foot pain on the top of your foot still, and if not when did it go away?
    Do you have your screws still in?
    if not then does it feel better with the screws out?
    How long were you laid up after the screws came out?

Thanx again for all the input- Hope DB is feeling well after his surgery Let us know.

Deano

Old 04-29-2008, 05:25 PM   #15
    DB25124
    (male)

DB25124 HB User

Whats up? Here is the news thus far. My surgeon, who is well known in the business, and highly and respected, had a CAT SCAN on my foot. The reason for the CAT SCAN was to determine the displayment on the bones. Beacuse the injury occurred on Feb 21, 2008, he will have to take a piece of my bone from the hip area, place it in my foot, then fuse with screws. He stated if I had the surgery within the first month of the injury, there would be no need to remove bone from my hip and fuse it. I will be in a none weight baring case for 6-8 weeks. Thank you work comp people for the late approval.

Closed Thread