It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• anyone with delayed bone healing..post bunionectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-16-2008, 08:00 PM   #1
    wmkcolors
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User
    anyone with delayed bone healing..post bunionectomy

I am at 11 weeks, post bunionectomy, on my left foot and my bone hasn't fully fused. Has anyone gone past 11 weeks and are still healing. I have a Kwire to connect the bones? I'm worried. I am NWB again, until my doctor tells me differently and I wear my hard bootcam 24/7. I had no idea a bunionectomy was such a long drawn out affair.....

The Following User Says Thank You to wmkcolors For This Useful Post:
    YosemiteJ (05-24-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
    Re: anyone with delayed bone healing..post bunionectomy

i never had your kind of bunionectomy so i dont know about recovery time. it does seem quite long, though.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
    RightFootMary
    (female)

RightFootMary HB User

What kind of bunionectomy did you have? I had a Lapidus with a bone fusion and I was out of the camboot at 8 weeks. That was 18 months ago and I just had the internal pin/wire taken out since it was right on my instep and my shoes kept irritating it. I'm hoping it will be better now but so far (2+ weeks) I'm still not back in all my shoes.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Mary in NY

Old 03-17-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
    wmkcolors
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I had an akin/austin bunionectomy of my left foot, with a Kwire, not a screw. Fairly standard. I followed my doctor's instructions and was NWB for the first 2 weeks and was PWB, to 8 weeks. Then, I started PT and went to FWB. I was bending the area quite a bit, after the 8 week mark, when I noticed the pain increasing. On hindsight, I think I should have been NWB longer, in a hardboot cam, for at least 8 weeks. I've noticed on this board, everyone has different healing instructions. Some people are in a hard cast at first, some are NWB for the first 6-8 weeks; etc. Healing obviously varies. The x-ray shows that the toe hasn't fully fused, where most of my pain is. A wire attaches that fusion. I was doing alot of range of motion exercises from 8 weeks on....then the pain set in....and now I'm NWB again, in a hardboot cam, only walking with it on and not doing PT for now. I look back and think how I could have done things differently, because I've felt so sedentary. I can only think I should have used a hardboot cam, like I have now, that goes up to my knee, and feels like a cast, though it's removable, for the first 8 weeks and not started PT until 12 weeks. But my doctor didn't push for that.... I am at 11 weeks and have now had this setback and it's hard to not have regrets. I seeked a 2nd opinion and the doctor said some people heal in 3 months, some in 6 months, some even longer.... The pain has subsided, now, that I'm off it again and not bending the toe and incision area. It's nice to be able to remove the boot, to soak my foot, but I'm treating it like it's a permanent cast and have it on 90% of the time, unless I need to ice my foot.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:03 AM   #5
    taterbug
    (female)

taterbug HB User

My bone has had delayed healing. There is a possibility though that it is due to my own clumsiness. Three weeks after having bunion surgery, I hit the top of my foot (where the screw was) on the under side of my desk. When I went back for the next visit, the doctor told me that the screw had shifted and there was a chip in the bone. She decided to give it another two weeks of NBW to see if the bone would heal itself. At five weeks, seeing the xray and my foot (very odd colors and extremely swollen) she said that there was no way the bone would heal and that she needed to go back in and replace the screw.
    About the time that I should have been beginning PWB after the first surgery, I had the second. She removed and replaced the screw and grafted the bone to repair the chip. At my request she has me in a hard cast - I don't want to take any more chances with hitting my foot.
    It is very frustrating when things don't go as we had planned, but that is life. I doubt that I will be off crutches until April 7th. My first surgery was January 9th so if she allows me to be PWB on April 7th, it will have been two days short of three months that I have been NWB. The worst part for me right now is that my back, shoulders and wrists hurt so bad from being on the crutches or sitting in a wheelchair. I keep myself as active as possible though and that seems to help.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
    RightFootMary
    (female)

RightFootMary HB User

wkmcolors - you don't wear your hard camboot to bed do you? That was the only time I took my off unless I was sitting with my foot elevated. I wasn't given any exercises to do until after 8 weeks and the first question I asked was whether the fusion was a success. He said it was. I guess I started PT at about 3 months after I still have residual swelling. I just had the pin removed because with certain shoes I was still getting some swelling across my instep and I'm almost 18 months out. Don't get me wrong - I'm not limited in any way to what I can do and I'm so happy I had the surgery. Now I'm ready by this fall to do the second foot (2 years apart).

Hoping for a complete fusion this time for you.

Mary

Old 03-19-2008, 01:12 AM   #7
    wmkcolors
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I think I started PT too soon, because, when I began bending the toe area; etc. is when the pain set in.... I really think I was one who should have been NWB for 8 weeks, like some here....instead of PWB, so soon after surgery, so I have a setback. I usually take the hardbootcam off at night, to air my foot out and to ice it. My toe hurts the most, where the fusion doesn't look complete. I'm also wondering if the wire, holding that fusion together is irritating the area. Ugh. I'm trying to be patient. I pray I'll feel better and be up and walking well by the summer.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
    bluepearl2001
    (female)

bluepearl2001 HB User

Have you considered renting a 'knee scooter' so you can bag the crutches and wheelchair. I used one for 2 1/2 months after my lapidus bunionectomy and it was a Godsend. I don't know how I would have survived with out it.

Hoping you will see a full recovery, even if it tries your patience to the max. I will be 3 months post op this next week and it has been painfully slow to get back on my feet. I am still unable to wear a shoe on that foot. I started PT about 3 weeks ago to help improve my range of motion in my first 2 toes and also my ankle that was very restricted after my cast came off. I have made progress, BUT I am nowhere close to normal gait. I'll feel fortunate if I have my foot in a normal shoe and can walk by summer...

Over and out.

Closed Thread