HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   2 weeks post-bunionectomy (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/590721-2-weeks-post-bunionectomy.html)

armykat 03-23-2008 07:05 PM

2 weeks post-bunionectomy

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give a quick update and to ask another question of you. I'm now 16 days post-op and what an enormous difference! I finally got to my post-op visit, had my enormous bandages removed and got cleared to walk, drive, and BATHE!! Some of you might have read my previous post where I asked if it's normal to have excruciating pain everywhere besides the big toe once you start heel-walking. As soon as I was able to bear weight and take off the bandages and surgical shoe, the pain started going away. My foot was really swollen and sore where it would rub against the bandages and the velcro. My foot is still ridiculously swollen around the big toe so that I'm wearing athletic slip-on shoes that are a size too big, but it is wonderful to start walking again!
At my post-op visit, my doc said that I was behind the curve in terms of flexibility, and that I needed to start toe exercises immediately. He's given me 3 weeks to get my flexibility back, or he'll send me for PT (which I'm terrified of...I can inflict my own pain, but can't be the victim!!). I've been doing the bending exercises religiously, but it seems like my big toe is too swollen at the moment to push far, even if it didn't hurt. I'm getting it to about 45 degrees (the goal is 90), but there doesn't seem to be room to go beyond that point. Did anyone else have that experience? Will it get easier to push the toe as the swelling continues to decrease?
As always, thanks for your answers and support!

Black Kat 03-23-2008 08:22 PM

Re: 2 weeks post-bunionectomy

Hi Armykat!
I'm glad to hear that your foot is feeling better! I do know that the swelling makes a huge difference in the pain level. As far as the flexibility in your toe, I would say to keep working on it diligently, and it will come. I am 5 weeks post op and for the past week he's been having me grab the base of my big toe and move it forward and back. He said it was pretty stiff. I'm definitely not a gumby yet, but it seems like a week can make a huge difference with this recovery. So I would say hang in there and you will be at 90 degrees before you know it! Also, are you taking any Ibuprofen for the swelling? I know when I took it, it reduced my swelling alot!

RunnerMac 03-23-2008 08:46 PM

You may want to give icing a try too. Ice your toe for 10 minutes before ROM exercises and then again afterwards.
The number of bends that you do makes a difference too. I was pretty stiff when I was doing about 200 a day, but I was told to add 100 each day up to 1000 and found that made quite a difference. Don't forget to bend down as well as up. 90 degrees is doable, keep at it!

janewhite1 03-24-2008 05:28 AM

Don't be afraid of PT, generally they make you feel better before and after they hurt you.;)

armykat 03-24-2008 07:40 AM

Thanks again for all the support. I guess I'll keep pulling, pushing, and bending. And I'll try not to run out screaming if I end up in PT. :) It stinks that I hit the side of my foot yesterday night. No pain, but extra swelling to contend with. Geez, I'm my own worst enemy!
Thanks again for the good advice.

taterbug 03-24-2008 08:59 AM

Congrats on your progress. I feel like I had a milestone moment today - I walked on one crutch bearing about half of my weight on my "bad" foot. I am four weeks out from the second surgery and have NWB since January 9th so I am truly excited with this progress. And....it couldn't come at a better time - my right wrist is hurting really bad from the long crutch use.
Keep up the good work and healing.

armykat 03-24-2008 09:27 AM

Congratulations, Taterbug! I know how difficult it is to get back on your feet after using the crutches....and I was only on them for 2 weeks! I'm hoping we all have steady recoveries with as little pain as possible. :)

taterbug 03-24-2008 01:10 PM

Stepping out on my foot with only one crutch this morning was really scary. It may sound stupid to some people, but when you have been dependent on the crutches for almost three months, you really aren't sure that your foot is going to work. Not to mention being scared of the pain you might have or hurting something. Even still stuck with one crutch for the next week and a half, I feel so liberated.......

Dark_Light 03-25-2008 09:56 AM

Walking for the first time is scary, but you adjust quitye quickly, you just have to feel brave and trust that your bone has healed and it is safe enough. Although since it's been inactive, you will experience some intense aching around the ankle, this is normal!

In regards to regaining your toe flexibilty, is it possible to regain a 90 degree position? I am four months and I can only pull it back by 40-45 degrees, it doesn't move after that an I have no screws or plates.

At present I am only dreaming of having a bath!

Good luck
:)

armykat 03-25-2008 11:49 AM

I guess I'm hoping I can get back to 90 degrees (and I'm talking about pushing away or bending the toe "down"). The doc didn't really give me a number, I'm just comparing it to my other, un-operated foot. I'm getting frustrated because I don't seem to be making any progress, but I'm trying to give it until the end of the week before I really freak out. As for pulling the toe, I"m aiming for 45 degrees and am probably at about 30-35 (although it hurts!).

RunnerMac 03-25-2008 02:15 PM

You can get back to 90 degrees mobility, I have been able to get that much back. My doctor still wants me to try for more as it will be good to have when I am back running again. We started doing ROM exercises three weeks after surgery pushing the toe back and forth to the point of some discomfort. He started me at 100 and built up 100 a day up to 1000. It was a pain to do every day but now I am happy with the results. I am 6 weeks post surgery today and have just over 90 degrees range and will be in a regular running shoe tomorrow (with an orthotic).

Dark_Light 03-25-2008 04:16 PM

[QUOTE=RunnerMac;3502020]You can get back to 90 degrees mobility, I have been able to get that much back. My doctor still wants me to try for more as it will be good to have when I am back running again. We started doing ROM exercises three weeks after surgery pushing the toe back and forth to the point of some discomfort. He started me at 100 and built up 100 a day up to 1000. It was a pain to do every day but now I am happy with the results. I am 6 weeks post surgery today and have just over 90 degrees range and will be in a regular running shoe tomorrow (with an orthotic).[/QUOTE]

Wow I am surprised! I think it's too late for me to achieve this! I wish I was given clear instructions. I could really do with the 90 degree bend, it would be so helpful for my job (I'm a photographer). I think I will try for 100 a day in five weeks time (Pulling the toe back and forth 100 times?). I started my toe stretching at six weeks- as advised. I feel that I have lost out. What kind of stretching did you do? I really envy you, but of course I am happy for you. I hope you reach your limit!

Dark_Light 03-25-2008 04:20 PM

Amy, I understand your frustration, I know it is or was possible for me to get a good degree of motion back and now it seems to be too late. I hope things improve for you, it seems like it's still eaarly days, which is good for you. Let us know how you get on :) In the UK, they don't offer PT for bunion patients, they just tell you to pull it back and forwards, they don't even show you, nothing! I am thankful for these boards!

armykat 03-25-2008 05:29 PM

Dark Light,

I'm hoping it's not too late for you. My doc recommended that I push the toe back and forth and hold in each position for 20-30 seconds. I have been doing that, but find that pushing the toe back and forth without pausing (I've started doing this for a total of 150 reps throughout the day, a la Runner Mac) actually leads to more flexibility. So, now I'm doing both throughout the day and hoping for the best!

This board really is fantastic...so many good ideas and great support!

RunnerMac 03-25-2008 08:33 PM

Sounds like Armykat has a good idea, I actually have split my 1000 back and forth ROM into two sets of 500 - morning and evening - and that seems to be a bit more effective. I will try the 20 second holds to see if I can get that last few degrees. Thanks for the idea!