It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Fusion in your ankle/ foot - who has had it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-08-2008, 08:42 PM   #1
    Lynn1991NY
    Inactive
    (female)

Lynn1991NY HB User
    Fusion in your ankle/ foot - who has had it?

I had a posterior tibial tendon transfer that I believe was unsuccessful but I will find out more this week and next week.

My only other option now is a fusion. What have been board members experiences with a fusion? Is there any 'give' in the foot at all when it is fused? Do you have a limp? Walk 'funny'? I am debating if I should juststick with my AFO.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
    emmie54
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User
    Re: Fusion in your ankle/ foot - who has had it?

lynn, what has happened with the PTT surgery? How long ago was your surgery? I'm so sorry you are having problems. I have "talked" to people on another forum that have had very successful fusions. They are active and pain free. I don't have any experience with it myself. I have had PTT surgery though so I am interested in what has happened with yours.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
    music47
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

music47 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Fusion in your ankle/ foot - who has had it?

Lynn

I had an ankle fusion in October 2004. The reason for the fusion was earlier in the year I fell and broke my ankle in three places. I had four surgeries on my ankle but my leg was crooked and I couldn't hardly walk I went to a different Orthopedic Surgeon and he recommended an ankle fusion. The surgeon straightened my leg and the fusion fused like it was supposed to.

Now almost four years later I walk with a limp,one leg is a little shorter than the other and I am in pain daily. I have "give" to my foot and I walk funny. Every person is different and you might have a perfect experence with your ankle. I don't want to discourage you from having it done.

Take care Lynn and I hope you'll stay in touch.

Hugs Nadine

Old 04-09-2008, 11:23 AM   #4
    hey19
    Veteran
    (female)

hey19 HB User

Why do you think the surgery failed? My first one failed because the bone graft separated. I'd love to know more of your story.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lynn1991NY View Post
    I had a posterior tibial tendon transfer that I believe was unsuccessful but I will find out more this week and next week.

My only other option now is a fusion. What have been board members experiences with a fusion? Is there any 'give' in the foot at all when it is fused? Do you have a limp? Walk 'funny'? I am debating if I should juststick with my AFO.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:36 PM   #5
    flip71
    (female)

flip71 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emmie54 View Post
    lynn, what has happened with the PTT surgery? How long ago was your surgery? I'm so sorry you are having problems. I have "talked" to people on another forum that have had very successful fusions. They are active and pain free. I don't have any experience with it myself. I have had PTT surgery though so I am interested in what has happened with yours.
    EMMIE:

I had to start a new account. I won't get into why. The PTT surgery was on 1/07 and then a revision on 11/07. Nothing went wrong. The second surgery was to remove the screw in the top of my foot that was coming out and replace it. I am not sure if that was the cause of possibly having my tendons stretched. Whatever happened is unknown but I cannot pull my foot up. My surgeon feels the nerves sparking but either the muscles are too fatigued to move the foot or the spark isnt enough in my nerves.

Tomorrow I have a nerve conduction study and EMG and I will know a lot more. I will post with results when I get them.

If the PTT is unsuccessful and I am 100% sure of it, I might get the fusion to not have to wear this brace. Not sure...need a lot more research.

Let's see how long this post stays up.....

Old 04-09-2008, 10:37 PM   #6
    flip71
    (female)

flip71 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by music47 View Post
    Lynn

I had an ankle fusion in October 2004. The reason for the fusion was earlier in the year I fell and broke my ankle in three places. I had four surgeries on my ankle but my leg was crooked and I couldn't hardly walk I went to a different Orthopedic Surgeon and he recommended an ankle fusion. The surgeon straightened my leg and the fusion fused like it was supposed to.

Now almost four years later I walk with a limp,one leg is a little shorter than the other and I am in pain daily. I have "give" to my foot and I walk funny. Every person is different and you might have a perfect experence with your ankle. I don't want to discourage you from having it done.

Take care Lynn and I hope you'll stay in touch.

Hugs Nadine
    Nadine:
    I hesitate on the fusion because many surgeons stated it will put me into premature arthritis and I would need follow up surgeries on the fusion anyway.

When did the limping start?

Old 04-09-2008, 10:38 PM   #7
    flip71
    (female)

flip71 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hey19 View Post
    Why do you think the surgery failed? My first one failed because the bone graft separated. I'd love to know more of your story.
    Hey:
    Mainly because I cannot move my foot up an I have a ton of fatigue in general after walking. I seriously am exhausted a large part of the day after walking. I will know a lot more tomorrow after my EMG/ Nerve testing. I will update all.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #8
    music47
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

music47 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Fusion in your ankle/ foot - who has had it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flipflop72171 View Post
    Nadine:
    I hesitate on the fusion because many surgeons stated it will put me into premature arthritis and I would need follow up surgeries on the fusion anyway.

When did the limping start?
    Hi Lynn

That's true about arthritis. I have developed arthritis in my ankle. I have been limping since the first surgery to fix my ankle.

Take care
    Nadine

Closed Thread