It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

  • Fusion in your ankle/ foot - who has had it?

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 04-08-2008, 08:42 PM   #1
    Lynn1991NY
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Location: New York, New York
    Posts: 64
    Lynn1991NY HB User
    Fusion in your ankle/ foot - who has had it?

    I had a posterior tibial tendon transfer that I believe was unsuccessful but I will find out more this week and next week.

    My only other option now is a fusion. What have been board members experiences with a fusion? Is there any 'give' in the foot at all when it is fused? Do you have a limp? Walk 'funny'? I am debating if I should juststick with my AFO.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 04-08-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
    emmie54
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    emmie54's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Location: Louisiana
    Posts: 925
    emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User
    Re: Fusion in your ankle/ foot - who has had it?

    lynn, what has happened with the PTT surgery? How long ago was your surgery? I'm so sorry you are having problems. I have "talked" to people on another forum that have had very successful fusions. They are active and pain free. I don't have any experience with it myself. I have had PTT surgery though so I am interested in what has happened with yours.

     
    Old 04-08-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
    music47
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    music47's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2005
    Location: USA
    Posts: 647
    music47 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Fusion in your ankle/ foot - who has had it?

    Lynn

    I had an ankle fusion in October 2004. The reason for the fusion was earlier in the year I fell and broke my ankle in three places. I had four surgeries on my ankle but my leg was crooked and I couldn't hardly walk I went to a different Orthopedic Surgeon and he recommended an ankle fusion. The surgeon straightened my leg and the fusion fused like it was supposed to.

    Now almost four years later I walk with a limp,one leg is a little shorter than the other and I am in pain daily. I have "give" to my foot and I walk funny. Every person is different and you might have a perfect experence with your ankle. I don't want to discourage you from having it done.

    Take care Lynn and I hope you'll stay in touch.

    Hugs Nadine

     
    Old 04-09-2008, 11:23 AM   #4
    hey19
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Apr 2007
    Location: Michigan
    Posts: 450
    hey19 HB User
    Re: Fusion in your ankle/ foot - who has had it?

    Why do you think the surgery failed? My first one failed because the bone graft separated. I'd love to know more of your story.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lynn1991NY View Post
    I had a posterior tibial tendon transfer that I believe was unsuccessful but I will find out more this week and next week.

    My only other option now is a fusion. What have been board members experiences with a fusion? Is there any 'give' in the foot at all when it is fused? Do you have a limp? Walk 'funny'? I am debating if I should juststick with my AFO.

     
    Old 04-09-2008, 10:36 PM   #5
    flip71
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    flip71's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Manhattan, NY
    Posts: 24
    flip71 HB User
    Re: Fusion in your ankle/ foot - who has had it?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emmie54 View Post
    lynn, what has happened with the PTT surgery? How long ago was your surgery? I'm so sorry you are having problems. I have "talked" to people on another forum that have had very successful fusions. They are active and pain free. I don't have any experience with it myself. I have had PTT surgery though so I am interested in what has happened with yours.
    EMMIE:

    I had to start a new account. I won't get into why. The PTT surgery was on 1/07 and then a revision on 11/07. Nothing went wrong. The second surgery was to remove the screw in the top of my foot that was coming out and replace it. I am not sure if that was the cause of possibly having my tendons stretched. Whatever happened is unknown but I cannot pull my foot up. My surgeon feels the nerves sparking but either the muscles are too fatigued to move the foot or the spark isnt enough in my nerves.

    Tomorrow I have a nerve conduction study and EMG and I will know a lot more. I will post with results when I get them.

    If the PTT is unsuccessful and I am 100% sure of it, I might get the fusion to not have to wear this brace. Not sure...need a lot more research.

    Let's see how long this post stays up.....

     
    Old 04-09-2008, 10:37 PM   #6
    flip71
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    flip71's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Manhattan, NY
    Posts: 24
    flip71 HB User
    Re: Fusion in your ankle/ foot - who has had it?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by music47 View Post
    Lynn

    I had an ankle fusion in October 2004. The reason for the fusion was earlier in the year I fell and broke my ankle in three places. I had four surgeries on my ankle but my leg was crooked and I couldn't hardly walk I went to a different Orthopedic Surgeon and he recommended an ankle fusion. The surgeon straightened my leg and the fusion fused like it was supposed to.

    Now almost four years later I walk with a limp,one leg is a little shorter than the other and I am in pain daily. I have "give" to my foot and I walk funny. Every person is different and you might have a perfect experence with your ankle. I don't want to discourage you from having it done.

    Take care Lynn and I hope you'll stay in touch.

    Hugs Nadine
    Nadine:
    I hesitate on the fusion because many surgeons stated it will put me into premature arthritis and I would need follow up surgeries on the fusion anyway.

    When did the limping start?

     
    Old 04-09-2008, 10:38 PM   #7
    flip71
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    flip71's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Manhattan, NY
    Posts: 24
    flip71 HB User
    Re: Fusion in your ankle/ foot - who has had it?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hey19 View Post
    Why do you think the surgery failed? My first one failed because the bone graft separated. I'd love to know more of your story.
    Hey:
    Mainly because I cannot move my foot up an I have a ton of fatigue in general after walking. I seriously am exhausted a large part of the day after walking. I will know a lot more tomorrow after my EMG/ Nerve testing. I will update all.

     
    Old 04-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #8
    music47
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    music47's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2005
    Location: USA
    Posts: 647
    music47 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Fusion in your ankle/ foot - who has had it?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flipflop72171 View Post
    Nadine:
    I hesitate on the fusion because many surgeons stated it will put me into premature arthritis and I would need follow up surgeries on the fusion anyway.

    When did the limping start?
    Hi Lynn

    That's true about arthritis. I have developed arthritis in my ankle. I have been limping since the first surgery to fix my ankle.

    Take care
    Nadine

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Ankle fusion surgery next month kbear Foot & Ankle Problems 39 04-23-2010 05:27 PM
    Sub Talar Joint Fusion done--Need Answers Linda1031 Foot & Ankle Problems 50 03-31-2010 11:19 PM
    Anyone ever have a Ankle replacement or Ankle Fusion? nascargirl74 Bone Disorders 23 03-09-2010 08:08 PM
    Subtalar fusion stepbystep89 Foot & Ankle Problems 35 02-22-2010 07:47 AM
    Ankle Fusion TonyC001 Arthritis 15 10-11-2006 08:17 PM
    mtp fusion lizzy21 Foot & Ankle Problems 26 08-02-2006 11:39 AM
    Fusion Friends....... susieblueyes Foot & Ankle Problems 119 09-02-2005 11:57 AM
    12 Weeks Post-Op Fusion eko Foot & Ankle Problems 13 06-14-2004 06:25 PM
    Subtalar fusion & Achilles Lengthening CrazyCatLady Foot & Ankle Problems 2 02-03-2004 10:45 PM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:48 AM.





    © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!