It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• different types of bunion pain and why middle of night?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-11-2008, 03:43 AM   #1
    itsanewme
    (female)

itsanewme HB User
    different types of bunion pain and why middle of night?

Having bunion/osteotomy May 22nd. Pain has been getting worse since Jan when we set up the surgery date.
    Especially in the middle of the night - why is that? cos its been still and not exercised/flexed?
    and Ive noticed theres 2 types of pain 1-deep down inside and 2-more of an outside/upper pain - does that make sense?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2008, 06:18 AM   #2
    Teddie2
    (female)

Teddie2 HB User
    Re: different types of bunion pain and why middle of night?

You are having pain pre surgery? I am not sure it that is what you are saying.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
    lcweiden3132
    Inactive
    (female)

lcweiden3132 HB User

More pain, I think, is a good indicator that you really need to have this surgery. In fact, I've read that unless you do have pain you probably shouldn't do this surgery.

I also had pain at night. I think it is just your body trying to wind down from the day, even if you hadn't exercised it much. Mine would especially hurt with the weight of blankets on my foot or if my bunion was down on the mattress, so mattress would push on the bunion.

The different areas of pain are probably from the bunion, it is just getting referred. This is normal. I know for me that I no longer have pain in the bunion itself...I have a couple of other issues, but the bunion itself no longer hurts.

Think of it this way...your bunion is basically your toe out of allignment. The more it is pushed out of its alignment, the more it will hurt...the tendons and ligaments and muscles are being stretched out of wack and they hurt trying to put everything back in the right place. Once it gets put back in its proper space it won't hurt anymore.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #4
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

the longer you go, the pain does get worse. in the middle of the night you are relaxed so you really feel the pain. maybe you can take advil or tylenol before bed. i hope something works for you.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:13 AM   #5
    Teddie2
    (female)

Teddie2 HB User

I totally agree with Icweiden3132.. if you are having that much pain you most likely need the surgery.. I fought it for quite some time and should have had it done about 4 years ago when my toe started to point in and twist and go numb. That was a sign something was really wrong. By the time I decided to do it.. it was way worse and so I may not get a perfect outcome. Right now I will be happy if it will function properly..
    I will not let that happen to my other foot.. if this surgery goes well in terms of outcome then I will monitor my right and if it gets much worse and even starts to hurt then I am going to do it. Good luck as it is a tough decision. Be sure to research docs that is so important

Closed Thread