HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   Inner Ankle Pain: Struggling to get a diagnosis (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/597654-inner-ankle-pain-struggling-get-diagnosis.html)

clouth 04-23-2008 10:04 AM

Re: Inner Ankle Pain: Struggling to get a diagnosis

Oh, please don't be sorry, really. I know you're trying to help, and I appreciate it very much. Knowledge is power, in my opinion.

Also wanted to add that I've never had a weight bearing xray. And the podiatrist thought that was strange, said having xray nwb was like having an eye exam with the eyes closed. So maybe I'll be able to get that done before I go to boston.

I figure either guy at Mass General will end up being fine, and they probably consult with and refer to each other also.

this ankle thing though is taking a toll on me emotionally. When I feel like I know what's going on and have a plan, it's better. But at times like this, it gets overwhelming.

I'm also chasing around three kids (8, 6 and 2 1/2) and wondering what my summer will be like. Also had wanted a fourth baby and now maybe that won't happen (I'm 38 - getting old!).

I'm trying to stay positive and look at the blessings. (e.g., as of now I can walk in the brace, I'm not in excruciating pain, I'm not dying, etc. etc.)

Again, please don't apologize. All thoughts are really helpful, and I'm glad I found you all.

Best,
Kris

janewhite1 04-23-2008 10:39 AM

Absolutely, not knowing is the worst.

One productive thing you can do for now is try to make sure you have all records, films, etc in order when you go to the surgeon, and make a list of things you want to tell or ask him.

clouth 04-23-2008 10:55 AM

Thanks Jane. Funny you should mention that. I constantly have an index card and a pen in my pocket, and I was just going over the questions I have when I stopped to read this. :)

BTW, I spent some time reading your history, and I know you've been through it yourself. I hope that you are continuing to heal and do well.

Best,
Kris

clouth 04-23-2008 03:59 PM

Kristin,
I double checked with the doctor at Mass General, to make sure he's the right guy to see. He said that he's the best for surgery, and his other recommendation would be the foot/ankle guy at Brigham and Women's.

Anyway, tomorrow morning I'm going to schedule with the B&W guy, that way, if I see the mass general guy and he doesn't think he can help me, I'll already have the appointment.

Regarding PTTD: I did the wet foot print test, and I have a band along the outside of my foot that is thin near the heel, but thicker toward the ball of the foot. Not sure what that means! I certainly will make sure that I'm thoroughly evaluated for PTTD though.

kristim06 04-23-2008 06:14 PM

Clouth, I went to the guy at the Brigham because saved my father's foot from being amputated when every other doctor thought that it would have to be.

The best thing about him is even if he doesn't have time to call you back in the office he calls on his way home. Thats probably smart to have both appointments and hey maybe getting two opinions from 2 of the best isn't such a bad thing??

Good luck with all you appointments and like I said any questions feel free to ask. I am exactly 3 months out of surgery tomorrow. My only down side is I think it is happening to my other foot which is not good.

clouth 04-23-2008 07:07 PM

I'm going to try to get in to see Dr. Chiodo in Boston, Mass.

kristim06 04-24-2008 06:06 AM

That is my doctor clouth! he is a great guy! he will be honest and up front with you. we tried so hard not to do surgery seeing how young I am and really too young for these issues (24) but in the end it had to be done!

emmie54 04-24-2008 06:15 AM

Wow, that's great it's the same doctor. Even though I ended up being very pleased with my surgeon, it is such a gamble if you don't know anyone he/she has treated already. The doctor makes such a difference and feet are so complex. Sounds like he is a good one.

clouth 04-24-2008 06:15 AM

I couldn't get in until June 2, which bums me out. I was kind of hoping for a miracle quick appt. But I'm seeing Dr. Theodore in Boston in the meantime, on May 13.

This process is so trying on the patience.

I'm sorry you had this so young, Kristin. I hope that you can get on with some normalcy now!

clouth 04-24-2008 10:14 AM

I just wanted to add, that my last post seemed very negative! But, I truly am grateful that I have appointments coming up with some excellent doctors, who will most likely be able to help me. And I'm glad that someone here knows Dr. Chiodo!

It is a waiting game, but I need this period of immobilization anyway, so, an earlier appt. probably wouldn't have mattered.

kristim06 04-24-2008 12:07 PM

It is always hard to get an appointment but they come fast and you can always call and say have them give you a call if someone else cancels. That is how my surgery was moved up.

Thank you I hope I can move on too but the only thing is it is well on its way to progressing in my other foot which is not a good thing but my main focus is healing the one I just had the surgery on first.

clouth 04-24-2008 01:48 PM

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your other foot. About three weeks ago, right after my foot/ankle ortho told me he would operate on my FHL tendon, I began having trouble in my "good foot." Pain in the inner ankle, similar to what's going on in my "bad" foot. It felt like getting the wind knocked out of me, and I swear I have cried every day since it started.

I'm hoping my good foot hurts because I've been wearing these old sandals. They're the only ones I have that match the height of my cam walker. I should probably hunt around for some advice on finding the right shoe to wear with this thing.

I read on the other thread that you've been able to start using the elliptical, bike and pool. That's awesome. It must feel great to break a sweat.

janewhite1 04-24-2008 02:34 PM

I did well with a hiking boot on my good foot while I used a cam walker. A lot of them have thick enough soles.

Yeah, the first injury rocks your world, but the second one just seems to take all the courage you've got left.

Hang in there. Life will get better. In the meanwhile, try to enjoy the little things.

clouth 04-25-2008 06:41 AM

Thanks, Jane, I know you're right. I have to focus, focus, focus on the positive. It's hard for me not to totally obsess, it really is. I would love about three days of absolutely no thoughts about my ankles!

Kris

clouth 04-25-2008 08:28 AM

Kristin,
I have a question for you. Did your MRI show definite tenosynosis of the PTT? How long did you have symptoms before you got your MRI? I had symptoms about three months. Mine showed a little synovial fluid by the heel but didn't state that it was on the tendon. It just said the tendon was unremarkable.

I'm not sure why my foot/ankle ortho at Newton Wellesley would have zeroed in on my FHL tendon instead of the PT tendon. He said because my toe won't bend up, but I've since been told by a pod that it's my big toe joint causing that, not a tendon.

I'm remembering now that I had a lot of pain on the top of my feet while walking last summer. I had to stop and stretch a lot, and it usually got better the more I walked. Also one ( I think just my bad one) of my ankles kept turning in when I wore wedge heels. Originally I thought that was how I hurt my ankle.

How did your symptoms start?