HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   Inner Ankle Pain: Struggling to get a diagnosis (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/597654-inner-ankle-pain-struggling-get-diagnosis.html)

clouth 05-13-2008 02:06 PM

Re: Inner Ankle Pain: Struggling to get a diagnosis

Hi all,
I just wanted to update you on my appointment in Boston.

He felt that the MRI was totally normal. And that my PT tendon is strong, equally as strong as on my other foot, so he doesn't believe at this point that it is PTTD. He said it could be in the subtalar joint given the "healing activity" showing on the bones scan and the CT.

Here's the plan as I understand it:
- Nerve study with a neurologist. If that comes back normal then
- cortisone and numbing agent into the joint.

If the cortisone injection makes the pain go away forever, well, that would be great.

If the pain goes away and comes back, he might do arthroscopy of the joint.

If the pain is unaffected by the cortisone, he might open up to take a look at the tendons/soft tissues.

That's it for now. I'm trying to see if I can get in earlier for the nerve study. Right now it's five weeks away.

Did anyone else's diagnosis take this long and winding road?

Kris

janewhite1 05-13-2008 03:13 PM

11 months, 6 doctors, 1 PA, 2 physical therapists,
CT scan, 2 sets of x-rays (one regular, one weight-bearing), MRI.
6 or 7 possible diagnoses.
More appliances and sticks than you can shake a stick at.

Long and winding road? You betcha. But now it's pretty nearly perfect, so, hang in there.

clouth 05-13-2008 06:34 PM

You know, that was a really stupid statement on my part. If there's one thing I've learned in the last 7 months it's that the "Long and winding road" seems to be the rule rather than exception when it comes to foot problems.

Thanks Jane. You are always an encouraging voice to me.

Kris

clouth 05-20-2008 06:18 PM

Well, my nerve study/EMG came back normal. A good thing! The doctor said that it doesn't appear I have tarsal tunnel syndrome. When he called me last night the caller ID said "Boston Red Sox." :cool:

Next step is a cortisone shot into the ankle joint to help the doctor figure out if it's in the joint or outside of the joint.

So this will make it:
-[B]x-rays [/B](weight bearing and not)- normal, accessory navicular
-[B]bone scan [/B](healing activity in joint)
-[B]ct scan [/B](healing activity in joint, bone island)
-[B]mri [/B] - fluid near heel, "normal" fluid on posterior tibial and flexor digitorum longus
-[B]whatever the test is for deep vein thrombosis [/B]- normal
- [B]physical therapy [/B]- improvement with stretching/ice, worse with strengthening, activity
- [B]nerve study/EMG [/B]- normal
- [B]cortisone injection [/B]- TBD

I'm putting the shot off until next week. I"m out of the cam walker brace for now too -- passing myself off as a normal person! "Good ankle" is acting up and bumming me out though.