It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Born with extreme flat feet-Ankle reconstruction /May29-Help Please!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-15-2008, 09:09 AM   #1
    gneiss
    (female)

gneiss HB User
    Born with extreme flat feet-Ankle reconstruction /May29-Help Please!

Hello Everyone

This is the best thing I have ever found since struggling with flat feet. I am 24 and was born with flat feet. It has gotten so bad within the past year. I cannot believe how my life has changed. I can not engage into any form of activities. I have pain in my bunion and pain in my ankle, pain at lateral part of my foot because the two bones are rubbing together.

I have very huge bunions especially on the right foot. This bunion has resulted in my toes drifting(bad) and i have developed arthritis in my first metatartsal. I did not realize there was arthritis until about two months ago. As i made a step I felt a clicking in my feet and it was painful. I ended geting a corison shot because I could not walk. This helped relieve the pain

I have gotten an MRI, CT- scan and of course xrays. The podiatrist concluded that he will do an achilles lengthing and insert a graft on the lateral side of my foot(forgot which bones). He does not want to do the bunion right now because he does not want to keep me under anesthesia for four hours. I am worried about if this surgery will be enough. He is trying to stay away from fusing bones.

How helpful is an achilles lengthening? where online can I purhase the items that i will need in the process of recovering?

Thank you for reading. God bless and be well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2008, 08:58 AM   #2
    Smileyrose
    (female)

Smileyrose HB User
    Re: Born with extreme flat feet-Ankle reconstruction /May29-Help Please!

I am having almost the exact same surgery as you on the 30th. I have found these boards to be extremely helpful to find what I need to get for recovery. I am going to a medical supplies shop that is near me to get what I need. I know that a lot of people have said that the knee walker is better then using crutches so I am going to go try it out.

Don't forget to call your insurance to see if they will cover some of the cost. I know that my insurance will cover 90% of my wheelchair rental and the knee walker rental. I hope your surgery goes well.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-19-2008 at 09:29 AM. Reason: do not post search instructions to find websites

Old 05-19-2008, 10:05 AM   #3
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Just don't get the Invacare brand knee walker, it's an accident looking for a place to happen. If I had to do it again, I'd get the TLC or Rolleraid brand.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
    gneiss
    (female)

gneiss HB User

How can i find out if my insurance will pay for any of these supplies? should I wait until I have my surgery and call. Or is my doc suppose to request this?

Thank you

Old 05-21-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Definitely arrange it in advance! Ask your doctor for a prescription for the more expensive items, then talk to the rental company about getting coverage.

Closed Thread