It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Handicap Placard

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-17-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
    skyhighifly
    (female)

skyhighifly HB User
    Handicap Placard

How many of you who were NWB got this? How long were you going to be NWB?

I am trying to decide if I want to do it or not. I'm 27 and in good shape, but NWB for 6 weeks seems like a lot of work. 12 days of it last summer was hard. I just want to come across as a wimp because I'm not.

The last questions... Does the temporary placard from one state work in another, or do I have to apply in both states? I would have a placard issued in NV and be using it in CA in a car with CA plates. Does that matter? The info on DMV website for CA isn't clear.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2008, 07:04 AM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: Handicap Placard

I spent 6 months as a gimp, some on a cane, some on crutches. For the first, oh, 2 months, I was proud, I did everything I could, I cleverly came up with ways not to need help, and I ended every day so exhausted, physically and emotionally, that I wanted to cry. Eventually, I just decided it was too much effort to pretend to be normal, and I learned to accept help so I could devote what strength I had to getting better, and to doing what I really needed to do.

Make things as easy on yourself as possible. It's better to have it and not use it than to wish you had it later.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:14 AM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

All states honor each others handicapped tags.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
    skyhighifly
    (female)

skyhighifly HB User

I was under the impression they were honored in all states too, but check out this statement from CA DMV:

"Travel parking placard for nonresidents who plan to travel in California and are a disabled person or disabled veteran. Valid for up to 90 days or the date noted by your physician on the application, whichever is less."

I am thinking perhaps this is for people with handicap plates who will be renting a car in CA, but it isn't clear. I'm just going to get it and if they fine me, I'll fight it. I'm good at that stuff!

Old 05-18-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I just reread your original post. Why would you be getting it in NV if the care is registered in CA and you'll be in CA. Why not just get it in CA?

Old 05-18-2008, 01:40 PM   #6
    MsTammy
    (female)

MsTammy HB User

I wasn't sure if I should get it either. But I am a grad student and the parking lot at my school is very long and gets jammed packed for the afternoon evening classes. Without it, I'd have to sometimes have to walk the equivalent of a couple of blocks. Throw in Chicago weather and an open-toed boot, I decided to go with it. I typically only use it if there are spots pretty close and other handicap spots available for the people who really need it. When my doctor filled out the paper work, she filled it out for 6 months, which I was quite surprised at. I'm 9 weeks out now and really do not NEED it at all.

I live on the Illinois/Indiana border and have never had a problem parking in Indiana. I don't even think it states anywhere on there that it was issued in Illinois. Also, according to the Illinois stuff, the placard can be used in any car as long as the person with the handi-cap is riding in the car at the time it is being used.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:59 PM   #7
    skyhighifly
    (female)

skyhighifly HB User

I'll just do it. True, I can choose not to use it, but might be nice to have just in case.

I live in Nevada and the surgery will take place there, but I will be in Northern California with my family for about 3 weeks and I will be flying there. Hence, the reason the car is registered in CA, it belongs to my family. I am sure people go between states all the time. DMV just likes to make their wording impossible to understand.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:33 AM   #8
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Be careful with the flight. Get a wheelchair if you have to change planes. Also be prepared to be hassled by the TSA folks at the security checkpoint.
    I had to fly when I had one of my foot surgeries and it was a nightmare! One agent wanted to look under the bandaging to actually see the sutures. And he wanted to "feel" the whole foot! No way!

Old 05-19-2008, 05:51 PM   #9
    skyhighifly
    (female)

skyhighifly HB User

With my ankle surgery last August I flew 3 days PO. Yes, I am crazy. I then flew 4-5 times after that. In January I messed up my thumb and got harrassed by security too. I'm used to it. Definitely will do the wheelchair thing because it is Las Vegas and to get to my airline you have to go on a tram. It is FAR! TSA pretty much doesn't mess with me because I can throw their rules and regulations right back at them and I call them on it when they don't do things like they should. I'm nice about it, but I don't let them push me around. Plus, mom will be with me and she is a stickler for following procedure.

H&P in 2 days and "Dum-da-dum-dum-dum" day June 9. Ugh! I'm not going to think about that right now. Got 3 weeks to get mentally prepared.

Closed Thread