It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Blistering rash around incision....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-20-2008, 08:23 AM   #1
    rugbygirl15
    (female)

rugbygirl15 HB User
    Blistering rash around incision....

I'm just 6 weeks out from surgery to repair a torn tendon and when I got the cast off they said to leave the steri-strips on and that they'd fall off on their own.... I now have a blistered rash (which usually pop and ooze when I'm walking around in the boot) covering the area where they put that sticky stuff to keep the steri-strips on. They've all fallen off now, but I still have this rash, and I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what they did to make it go away?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: Blistering rash around incision....

Most likely you had some kind of allergic reaction to one of the substances painted on you.

Normally I'd suggest a hydrocortisone cream, but given that it's on a fresh scar, you might want to ask your surgeon's office.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:06 PM   #3
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

also, make sure there is not an infection. it does sound like a allergic reaction.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
    monster bunion
    (female)

monster bunion HB User

It sounds like some kind of contact dermatitis, you may be allergic to the
    steri strips or the adhesive that they used. You should call the doctor's office and ask what to do and what the name of the stuff was. For contact dermatitis, you may want to take some sort of antihistamine like Benadryl (if you don't have high blood pressure).

Old 05-20-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
    MsTammy
    (female)

MsTammy HB User

Hi there,
    I had the same reaction to the steri-strips last year for my first bunion surgery. My doctor believed it to be an allergic reaction to the adhesive. She gave me samples of "Topicort" to use. Based on the product info, I guessed (and my doc confirmed) it's basically the same as Cort-Aid or any other hydro-cortisone. The active ingredient is a cortic-steroid which reduces inflammation. Using the Topicort 2-3 times a day lessened the itching and the blisters were pretty much gone in about a week. Using Cort-Aid on a little infected, inflamed spot I had with this past surgery bad pretty much the same effect.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:26 PM   #6
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Still, I'd call doc just to make sure cortisone won't interfere with wound healing. (6 weeks out, I doubt it, but ask.)

Old 05-21-2008, 04:50 AM   #7
    rugbygirl15
    (female)

rugbygirl15 HB User

Thanks.... I did call the doctors office and they said hydrocortizone won't impact healing any (the incision is totally closed anyways). I'm just hoping this clears up soon, as most of the blisters are popping and they're rubbing raw from walking in the boot, and I don't know if I can take being back on crutches too much longer.

Closed Thread