It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• one week post op bunion and hammer toe surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-30-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
    e265rho
    (female)

e265rho HB User
    Question one week post op bunion and hammer toe surgery

I am able to weight bear with my booty. Has anyone started to exercise in a chair using weights for upper body at this point in their recovery? The exercise regimen I began (hardly a workout) has not seemed to effected my foot. Just checking for other exercises to do. Also, any thoughts on how long it takes to get the pins out. and how do they remove them? ouch.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
    jean2003
    (female)

jean2003 HB User
    Re: one week post op bunion and hammer toe surgery

I had 4 hammertoes on the same foot with pins. I will soon be 5 months. I don't know about the exercise, but don't see how it could hurt to do it. My pins came out at 5 1/2 weeks. Two of the pins came out easy. I didn't feel a thing, but two of them broke off and he had to get what he called the pliers and pull them out. That hurt real bad. Some of the people on this board said that it didn't hurt at all. But whatever happens it is better than having the pins in the toes. The ends of the toes heal real quick. Good Luck.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
    lcweiden3132
    Inactive
    (female)

lcweiden3132 HB User

With my bunionectomy I had two pins. The first one came out right before two weeks because it was poking into a nerve and causing the most excrutiating shock pain all the way up to my knee. It was very painful getting out because the doc injected my foot to make it numb so that I wouldn't feel anything when she took it out. WRONG...I felt ever tug every tweek and every pull. And the injections were totally insane that I almost passed out. The second pin came out like it was nothing. I didn't feel it at all. It came out at 4 weeks and it came out so quickly I didn't even notice she had taken it out. So, I guess have them taken out later rather than sooner. I think the longer they stay in then the skin and muscle pulls away giving the pin ample room to come out without pain.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:14 AM   #4
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User
    Wow! Thanks for This Info

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lcweiden3132 View Post
    With my bunionectomy I had two pins. The first one came out right before two weeks because it was poking into a nerve and causing the most excrutiating shock pain all the way up to my knee. It was very painful getting out because the doc injected my foot to make it numb so that I wouldn't feel anything when she took it out. WRONG...I felt ever tug every tweek and every pull. And the injections were totally insane that I almost passed out.

The second pin came out like it was nothing. I didn't feel it at all. It came out at 4 weeks and it came out so quickly I didn't even notice she had taken it out. So, I guess have them taken out later rather than sooner. I think the longer they stay in then the skin and muscle pulls away giving the pin ample room to come out without pain.
    You poor thing, having gone through all that. What about screws? Anyone had those?

Old 05-31-2008, 07:36 AM   #5
    lcweiden3132
    Inactive
    (female)

lcweiden3132 HB User

I opted to NOT have screws because I seem to react to everything so badly, whether it is food, cosmetics, or internal hardware. The less I have in me that isn't there by God's hand, the better off I am.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:05 PM   #6
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

One Can Opt Not to Have Screws?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lcweiden3132 View Post
    I opted to NOT have screws because I seem to react to everything so badly, whether it is food, cosmetics, or internal hardware. The less I have in me that isn't there by God's hand, the better off I am.
    I'm sure with you on that, and thanks so much for the information that screws aren't always mandatory. But probably you had to be extra careful and/or take longer healing? What if the surgery had come undone?

Old 06-01-2008, 04:58 AM   #7
    lcweiden3132
    Inactive
    (female)

lcweiden3132 HB User

Actually, no...I wasn't told to be extra careful. In fact, once that second pin came out the doctor kept pushing me to start putting weight on the foot. I had been walking on the side and heel only and had told her that it was very painful to walk FWB. The toe wasn't bending, it was horribly swollen, and the incision site was so very very painful. In fact, most of my post op pain has come from the incision and the remaining scar itself...otherwise, my bunion area has had zero pain. Like right now, I am having continuing pain from the top joint of the toe - the one above the bunion but below the nail. And, the doctor is not sure why that is. I'm thinking that once they reallign the toe, when they cut the bone and shift the toe to make it straighter, then you have new pressure points that you didn't previously because you didn't actually put weight on those points prior to the surgery. Now you are...so, I think that is why I have the pain.

So far, my surgery hasn't come "undone"....but, I also haven't had any xrays or appointments for the last 6 weeks. I have one next week to determine why I've had an increase in pain, and continuing pain, in the top joint and the sesamoid areas...both of which I've complaining about since the first day after the surgery and of which I've never gotten a satisfactory answer to.

As far as time of healing, I was told by my doctor that by 5 weeks post surgery I would be up and in shoes and walking normally (not exercise walking, just normal every day walking)....but it took 7 weeks to actually be able to get a shoe on my foot let alone go FWB. I was walking "normally" at 10 weeks....still very painful, but walking. I am now 4 months post op and every step I take is very painful whether I wear shoes or not, whether I use inserts or not, whether I sit at a desk or lay in bed or stand to cook, I have throbbing sharp pain in my foot.

I still, daily, wonder if I did the right thing........

Old 06-01-2008, 08:32 AM   #8
    e265rho
    (female)

e265rho HB User
    Re: Wow! Thanks for This Info

I am fearful the pins can fall out by themself -- is that possible? How long generally do they keep the pins in. I am assuming the pins make the healing process even longer; which is a drag. Do they take them out in the office? With a local anesthetic?
    I keep telling myself to be patient as I have not even had my first appt. post op.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:41 AM   #9
    e265rho
    (female)

e265rho HB User

Has your doc recommended physical therapy? Perhaps there is some exercise you can do to eleviate some of the discomfort. I have heard from others that the recovery often takes longer than you expected and some pain can continue for 1 year. I am only one week post op and long for my new balance sneakers.
    Good luck

Old 06-01-2008, 02:03 PM   #10
    lcweiden3132
    Inactive
    (female)

lcweiden3132 HB User

I am now 4 months post op, so past the PT point. But, at the beginning of this process I had been given a Dynasplint which caused horrible pain. It was determined, and agreed upon, by both myself and the doctor that it was best to leave my foot alone and let it heal on its own naturally. All the splint and the flex/bend movements did was to irritate everything extremely. As it is now, I have almost all my ROM back and the only pain I have is in areas that are NOT the bunion...which is odd and which I have questioned.

The pins I had are called K-wires and are temporary. I don't *think* they can just fall out, but they can become more loose over time making the removal process much easier. You can have a numbing/lidocaine spray sprayed on the area if you want to help numb the outer skin. But, if you can twist the pin around, slowly, yourself then it should come out very very easily when your doctor goes to do it. My doctor suggested that I turn it slowly myself. This did not hurt at all...it was just gross to look at (seeing my foot impaled with metal, and seeing that i could turn it around 360 kinda made my stomach do flip flops

I think for most people they take those pins out by week 4. My first one came out at week 2 because it was very painful. I don't know if the pins make the healing process longer or not...I think it depends on your body. Some people heal really fast....I am NOT one of those people (this process made that very apparent to me). And, yes, they do take them out in the office....kind of like "Ok..1....2.....3..." and out they come.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:15 PM   #11
    Janesfoot
    Veteran
    (female)

Janesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB User

Hi There,
    I am 3 weeks post-op.
    I had a bunionectomy and both sides of my right foot. I had the osteotomy
    for both, with a wedge cut in the bone on the big toe side (sorry I don't know the technical term for my surgery). Each side has a pin and they will be removed this Thursday which will be four weeks post-op. Most of my pain issues have been related to the incision site/pin site. I was actually a little WB within a week of surgery. When the stiches came out at 10 days and the doctor rewrapped my foot, I told him it was sore (I've never had stitches). Three days later I was in excruciating pain, far worse than any felt
    since the surgery. I went back to the doctor who told me to go NWB for three days. I was very disheartened. I thought I was going to be a medical miracle because I was healing so well. Back to reality. I did as the doctor ordered and tacked on a couple days because I couldn't stand to have the surgical shoe on my foot because it rubbed the incision site. I'm much better now, and am probably overdoing it again, but I'm trying to do things in moderation. I have limited experience as a post-op patient but I've learned that healing does take time, and that I won't see vast amounts of improvement every week. I've also learned that my foot can go from feeling fine to pretty painful in a matter of hours.

About pins coming out on their own. I'm sure there are a lot of stories out there, but I would guess it isn't easy for the pins to come out, especially if they are under bandages like mine are. If they are sticking out of a toe, they may be more tricky. When I was in the worst of my pain, I really wanted to yank the pin out myself, because that seemed to be focus point of the pain.
    I'll let you know how the pin pulling goes. From what I understand there is no
    numbing used. Personally, I will be glad to get them out and look forward to the day I can take a bubble bath! As the corny saying goes, thanks for letting me share.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:27 PM   #12
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thumbs up NWB Must Mean Non-Wt-Bearing?

Quoting part of one of Janesfot's sentences, "the surgery. I went back to the doctor who told me to go NWB for three days." Also there's an abbreviation in icWelden's, which post I'm printing out for my notebook I'm just starting. What's FWB?

You two write about it so well I'm torn between hysterical amusement and suffering with you, in advance of my own experience, which is why I'm here, a rehearsal.

I like to be prepared for whatever, even some unpleasant noise, just no surprises. Thanks much for sharing. You deserve to feel better fast. Please keep us posted.

Last edited by Eagle; 06-01-2008 at 02:36 PM.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:22 PM   #13
    e265rho
    (female)

e265rho HB User

okay great advise on the medical miracle. I was thinking I am doing pretty well to able to WB right after surgery. Every day I say to myself -- take it easy, slow down, recovery takes time. I feel like I can do more but don't want to push myself. boy I cannot weight to really sweat from exercise again -- sick huh!!!

Old 06-01-2008, 03:23 PM   #14
    e265rho
    (female)

e265rho HB User
    Question Re: NWB Must Mean Non-Wt-Bearing?

fully weight bearing???

Old 06-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #15
    lcweiden3132
    Inactive
    (female)

lcweiden3132 HB User

NWB = Non weight bearing

FWB = Full Weight bearing

PWB = ??? (you figure it out )

Eagle, go back several pages....hey19 and I had a rip roaring time about scooters, flasks, flags, horns, and blue wigs! It was much too much fun...but so worth it considering how awful I was feeling at the time. I can't remember the thread....just meander through them...I hope you find it!

The pins shouldn't come out, especially if they are under wraps so to speak...that would be a feat, wouldn't it?? But, if you can stomach turning them a bit, it will make it easier when the time comes to get them out.

I can tell you this, the first bath that I was allowed to take post pin removal was HEAVEN....like they say, you never know what you've got til its gone....splish splash!

Closed Thread