It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• hallux limitus, heel pain and running

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-05-2008, 10:16 PM   #1
    ann38
    (female)

ann38 HB User
    hallux limitus, heel pain and running

Hi All,

I am new to the Health Board and am hoping to get some advice from people who have been there, done that. Here's what I have going on. About a year ago I went from running/jogging 5-6 miles daily. I've been running for the last 15 years or so and have never had any issues. Last year the back of my heels started hurting. I rested, did ice therapy and stretching. I had orthotics made and tried to get back to running after 2 months. When I started back the same problems occurred. I sought help from a foot and ankle ortho who looked at my x-rays and all he said was that I had some bone spurs but he didn't see anything else. He left me feeling like I was exagerating my pain. So I went from him to a podiatrist. The pod told me that I have bone spurs and you know running is really not that good for you. He sent me away with a prescription for anti inflammatories, which made me retain water. I went back to him for a follow up but nothing else was discussed just that this is the way it's going to be. I went to one more pod, one a friend recommended, and he diagnosed me with hallux limitus with complications. The hallux limitus is causing the heel cord to stretch to the limit causing pain over my heel. We had orthotics made and said they might help for 6 months or 6 years it just depends on the person. I've had the orthotics in for 2 months and they do help with every day movement, walking and such but am still unable to run. It's getting to where if I walk for too long my feet start aching. I'm so frustrated because I have never had any problems before, I'm relatively young, 38, and running was my refuge. I could do it anywhere, anytime, and it just revitalized me. Having 4 children that's something I really need. So I guess my questions for anyone who can help is regarding a surgery that can performed to help HL. I have it in both feet and after reading some of your posts feel optimistic for the first time in a while. Has anyone out there had HL with heel pain? If so did you have any surgery? Did it work? Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2008, 04:42 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: hallux limitus, heel pain and running

HL is also commonly called turf toe, runner's toe, tennis toe, etc. I had a cheilectomy to repair my left great toe due to this. Have not had the right one done as it is not as painful. My surgery was very successful. Had it done about 6 years ago and am still running, dnacing, wearing heels, etc. As an FYI, Shaquille O'Neal had this same procedure while he was with the Lakers. You can find several articles about his surgery and recovery. My usual suggestion to anyone with such issues is to call the front office of the nearest pro football or basketball team (in your case, the Titans) and find out who they use for turf toe. See him/her for your best option there. THe heel pain adds a dimension that requires someone really well versed in these issues. If you don't mind coming to Birmingham I recommend Dr. John Gould at UAB Orthopedics. Good luck.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
    ann38
    (female)

ann38 HB User

Hi, again,

So, I am 2 weeks post op after the cheilectomy and a partial fascia release and am wondering a couple of things. When you had your surgery how long was it before you were up and just walking? Did you need to buy new shoes? Or did your foot fit your old shoes. Just some questions I've been thinking about and since you have been through this I knew I could get an honest answer/opinion. Thank you for your words of wisdom I think they helped me make a difficult decision.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    HL is also commonly called turf toe, runner's toe, tennis toe, etc. I had a cheilectomy to repair my left great toe due to this. Have not had the right one done as it is not as painful. My surgery was very successful. Had it done about 6 years ago and am still running, dnacing, wearing heels, etc. As an FYI, Shaquille O'Neal had this same procedure while he was with the Lakers. You can find several articles about his surgery and recovery. My usual suggestion to anyone with such issues is to call the front office of the nearest pro football or basketball team (in your case, the Titans) and find out who they use for turf toe. See him/her for your best option there. THe heel pain adds a dimension that requires someone really well versed in these issues. If you don't mind coming to Birmingham I recommend Dr. John Gould at UAB Orthopedics. Good luck.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Well, I only had the cheilectomy so I can't speak to the fascia release. With my surgery, I walked that day and walked from then on. I was in the surgical boot for 3 weeks (one week after having stitches removed). After that, I wore my clog type Merrell's for about 4 to 6 after that. Then regular shoes. I've gone to 1/2 size larger but I really think the reason is the styles now as opposed to 6 - 7 years ago...more pointy. Hope this helps.

Closed Thread