It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• just over 1 month post op for a triple arthrodesis.......

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-11-2008, 12:55 PM   #1
    shelleybutn
    (female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User
    just over 1 month post op for a triple arthrodesis.......

so i had a triple arthrodesis on may 9th, 2008 and am still sitting here in a cast. also, my navicular bone was discovered to have a poor blood supply so the doc isn't sure how it is going to take to the fusion! awesome! so my follow up is july 2nd and then he will determine whether to put me in another cast or a boot. who knows. getting real bored and sick of crutching. this is harder than i thought it would be (mentally and physically).

i've had knee surgeries before but this is a pain non-weight bearing. also, i got a puppy 1 week before surgery! ya, i know, how dumb. he is doing well but it's hard taking care of him on crutches.

anyway, just found this board and would love to share.....
    shelley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #2
    forevergimpy
    (female)

forevergimpy HB User
    Re: just over 1 month post op for a triple arthrodesis.......

Glad to hear you are doing well! Sounds like you are busy with a puppy and recovery...at least you're not bored!

Old 06-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Do you have any sort of wheels, so you can get around better? That's helpful. Is there someone who is taking care of you, or at least helping you get groceries, laundry, and out of the house once in a while.

Tarsal coalition, huh? Not a fun thing to deal with. Triple arthrodesis has a pretty long recovery, but you should be out of pain in the end. You won't have much sideways motion in your foot, but if things were bad enough to require this surgery, I'd imagine the sideways motions hurt a lot anyway.

If you aren't fusing on schedule, you might want to ask about a bone stimulator. There is substantial evidence that they work.

Keep us posted on how recovery goes. Meanwhile, Puppy is at least getting you some exercise, I guess...

Old 06-12-2008, 07:30 AM   #4
    shelleybutn
    (female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User

thanks for writing back. so god bless my husband cuz he has been doing EVERYTHING! cleaning, laundry, puppy, plus all the stuff he normally does (like mowing the lawn). i got a wheel chair thru insurance so i can at least go to the store or shopping with my husband. it's been fun.

i know about the bone stimulators, i am a certified athletic trainer and heal athletes injuries for a living. not sure it would help cuz it's the lack of blood supply in the bone. but i am just hoping it will heal on its own.

ya, i pretty much had NO side ways motion, no inversion or eversion at all before surgery so i shouldn't notice a difference after, except hope to have no pain.

i go in july 2nd, hoping to go into a boot. i am scheduled to start work july 7th but am thinking that is a bit ambitious. might need a few more weeks. my work is basically up on my feet--not a desk job.

anyway, keep in touch. i will keep you guys posted.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
    mimi2945
    (female)

mimi2945 HB User
    Smile Re: just over 1 month post op for a triple arthrodesis.......

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shelleybutn View Post
    so i had a triple arthrodesis on may 9th, 2008 and am still sitting here in a cast. also, my navicular bone was discovered to have a poor blood supply so the doc isn't sure how it is going to take to the fusion! awesome! so my follow up is july 2nd and then he will determine whether to put me in another cast or a boot. who knows. getting real bored and sick of crutching. this is harder than i thought it would be (mentally and physically).

i've had knee surgeries before but this is a pain non-weight bearing. also, i got a puppy 1 week before surgery! ya, i know, how dumb. he is doing well but it's hard taking care of him on crutches.

anyway, just found this board and would love to share.....
    shelley
    Hi Shelley,
    My name is Paula and I live in Austin, Texas. I am about to have a quadruple arthrodesis in August and am so happy that I've found that I'm not the only person with these feet problems. I am so grateful for this site! Please share as much as you can with me as to what I can expect in the recovery process. I'm still learning how to navigate this site so please bear with me if I screw up from time to time. I am not afraid of the surgery...I've had 4 major shoulder surgeries and none were successful mainly due to my not taking my time in helping them heal...I don't work anymore so that won't be a problem with this surgery. I am 63 and at one time was very athletic and was a dancer in my youth...that coupled with a career with a major retailer for the past 25 years...I've put lots of mileage on these poor piggies.
    Anyway, any suggestions that you might have or just being a buddy would really help.
    Thanks so much for listening and I hope that you are getting better each day...my prayers are with you.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:12 PM   #6
    catldyfromnpt
    (female)

catldyfromnpt HB User

I was so happy to find this message board today and find other people who have had this surgery. I had my triple athrodesis on June 12th and it went well.. but I totally agree on how physically exhausting it is to get around. I was able to get a wheelchair thru my insurances, which is a big help for doctors appts, but otherwise I'm finding it easier to just stay home in the air conditioned house!

my doctor told me 3 to 4 months in a cast and I also got the Bone Stimulator thing (i forget exactly what its called) has anyone else had experience with that? if it really cuts down on healing time I'm all for it!

Last edited by catldyfromnpt; 07-15-2008 at 07:13 PM.

Closed Thread