It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Ankle pain off and on

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-13-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
    RegBrie1331
    (female)

RegBrie1331 HB User
    Ankle pain off and on

I'm new here and I've been reading some of all of your posts and everyone here seems to be very knowledgeable and experienced. If it's all right, I have a few questions.

My right ankle sometimes gets achey and painful, mostly when I move my foot towards my body. I have no problem putting weight on it and it is never swollen when it gets like this, but driving can be difficult when I'm trying to switch from the gas to the brake. It usually lasts about 2-3 days. I played soccer for about 11 years, but no severe injuries, just your normal average injuries to the foot/ankle that every soccer player gets. This has been off an on for about 3 years, and it's tolerable, but I don't want to pay for it later because I never got it looked at. From what I've researched on the internet, the pain seems to be coming from the ATFL area?

I'm pretty klutzy and I roll my ankle more than most people I know, so maybe that is what's causing my problems. I don't seem to have the major issues everyone else is having on here and it isn't constant, just about once a month it gets like this. So I don't think this necessarily warrants a trip to the doc, but my hubby does. Any tips or advice? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2008, 09:56 AM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: Ankle pain off and on

Okay, a few questions:

Have you had sprains of that ankle that involved some swelling at some point in the past?

Does the ankle ever seem to "give way" under you?

How does squatting down feel?

Look at your "ankle bone" (lateral malleolus). Think of it like a clock with your leg at 12 and the ground at 6. Where is your pain? Is it right near the bone, or a little further away?

What kind of physical activities do you do now? Do you ever wear an ankle support?

Old 06-13-2008, 03:29 PM   #3
    RegBrie1331
    (female)

RegBrie1331 HB User

Thanks for your reply janewhite.

I don't really remember any signifigant past injuries to that ankle that it was really swollen. When I played soccer both my ankles would get sore, but I'd just put ice on them after practice or a game and they'd be fine the next time I played. I don't remember them ever being swollen though.

As far as my ankle "giving way", I'd say at times, but that usually happens when my ankle is sore like now. Just today actually I was getting the trash cans from the end of the drive and I twisted it. But like I said, I am a clutz, so I don't know if that is me or my ankle! LOL!

Actually squatting doesn't hurt, but once I get up, it'll hurt then. Sometimes if I'm squatting a lot like when I'm working outside with the flowers, it will tend to be sore the next day so I try to avoid squatting.

And finally, if my foot was a clock, I'd say that the area of pain would be right between the 12 and the 1. When you point your toes up towards your body, a bone forms and it's right above that. Does that make sense? Also, I forgot to mention that when I point my foot up towards me, the pain will go up my shin. This is only when it's the worst, I can always tell when it's getting better when the pain doesn't radiate up my shin.

Oh, and my physical activity level is mostly yardwork, housework, and now that summer is here, I take walks. In the winter we have an elyptical that I do about 40 min. on that I try to do 3 times a week but at least twice a week at the minimum. I have an office job so I am sitting the majority of the day. And no, I have never worn any kind of ankle support. Sounds stupid, but I never thought of that. Maybe I'll try that at least when I'm being active and see if that will help.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

You might want to get it checked out by an orthopedist. There are exercises you can do that will reduce that "giving way" issue, so you could get a physical therapist to teach them to you. You can strengthen the muscles around the joint, and also train them to do a better job of catching you before it twists, if that makes any sense.

Giving way could be the result of a problem with the ATFL. Some go away with care and exercise, some require surgery.

The pain you feel when you point your toes toward your body, though, sounds like synovitis, or anterior impingement syndrome, which is what I had. I had to have it repaired through arthroscopic surgery, however, mine was not diagnosed until it grew so bad that ordinary walking was painful. Yours doesn't sound that bad, and might subside if you can avoid re-irritating it for a while.

I find that the lace-up braces are an excellent form of support, mine came from Modell's (the sports equipment store).

Some simple stuff you can do now: Try standing on one foot for a few seconds at a time (assuming this doesn't hurt). It can improve your balance and reduce ankle turning. Try massaging the muscles on the outside of the calf(the peroneals), soreness there can contribute to lateral ankle pain. Also, if you do something that might make it hurt later, try icing right away.

Closed Thread