It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Fractured Calcaneus

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-07-2008, 09:30 PM   #16
    Hyper86
    (female)

Hyper86 HB User
    Re: Fractured Calcaneus

Hello All,
    I got back from the hospital 7/6 , surgery went well it took 5 hours on 7/3.
    Thank god they did 2 pain blocks that did not wear off for about 16 hours.
    I was so glad to get off the morphine 7/6, it made me itch, gave me bad headaches & i could not hold anything down.
    Dr. & physical therapist said i should be up & about as much as possible without touching my foot to the ground.
    I can get around really good on my crutches & drive the car short distances.
    I'm getting really flustrated with my older sister, she is very negative, self-destrutive, & really lazy.
    She was suposed to clean-up the house while i was in the hospital & she just never got around to it.
    So now i have to look at this dirty house "how gross".
    I want to go up north to my family property soon as possible to recover it's very peacefull.
    Only my little brother, his wife & kids + our parents dogs live there since my mom & dad passed away in 2004 & 2006.

Thank you!
    Carole

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2008, 02:21 AM   #17
    tchair
    (male)

tchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB User

Carole,

Good to hear you're back ! Now that you have had the surgery experience, please answer the question that will be foremost in the thoughts of those to follow: " Does it hurt more than initial injury?"

The next stages are tough when you can't do a lot of things for yourself. It gets tough for those who help out because it seems to drag on. You should concentrate on recovery which means as much PT as allowed, always ask for more and do it until you're worn out. For anyone not willing to help, you can only expect more of the same. For anyone who is, accept graciously and without guilt. Kid's are very understanding, but still kids - bored easily and forgetful. The dogs , not being human , you can depend on.

TC

Old 07-08-2008, 02:36 PM   #18
    Hyper86
    (female)

Hyper86 HB User

Hello TC & All,
    After surgery it did not hurt as much as the initial injury.
    Injury was 9 on the pain scale, after surgery 1st day was only a 3, 2nd day a 7, 3rd a day 6 & now a 3 to 5 depending on how active & stressfull my day is, though is getting better each day.
    Dr. said to wiggle my toes a little each hour & will see him for bandage change in 8 days, he is only 40 & really loves what hes doing, I asked him what he had for breagfast that enabled him to do my surgery + 1 just like mine without a lunch break, he said a red bull & boiled eggs! HA HA.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #19
    jonimo11
    (male)

jonimo11 HB User

Hi all, I fell off a roof 35' up slid on some frost blew through all my toe holds and fell 14 ft down on March 11 08. Shattered my r heal broke my arm and maybe tore my shoulder. I am now out of my aircast and starting to walk. After reading these posts initially after my fall I was very depressed. I just want everyone to know how slow this injury heals but keep positive. Every injury is different, don't compare yours to a lot of other posts. If I am better I would not sit in front of the computer and write. Ok I am going outside to play catch with my son. I won't be running after the ball---YET. Stay Tough Fellow heelys it will come around and life will be good. Jon

Old 07-10-2008, 07:23 PM   #20
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonimo11 View Post
    I am now out of my aircast and starting to walk.
    Yeah, Jon! Nice job!

Old 07-11-2008, 10:35 AM   #21
    Hyper86
    (female)

Hyper86 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hyper86 View Post
    Hello TC & All,
    After surgery it did not hurt as much as the initial injury.
    Injury was 9 on the pain scale, after surgery 1st day was only a 3, 2nd day a 7, 3rd a day 6 & now a 3 to 5 depending on how active & stressfull my day is, though is getting better each day.
    Dr. said to wiggle my toes a little each hour & will see him for bandage change in 8 days, he is only 40 & really loves what hes doing, I asked him what he had for breagfast that enabled him to do my surgery + 1 just like mine without a lunch break, he said a red bull & boiled eggs! HA HA.
    Hello Fellow Sore Foots!
    My pain level has been increasing up to a 6 on the pain scale, need to take 2 percocet every 6 hours, thinks thats a lot for someone who weights 105 Lbs & is 4 foot 11 1/2 inches.
    Think the weather getting hotter is the reason for pain increase.
    Thank God for air conditioning!
    When i got hurt i was 350 miles from my home & had been gone 1 month, it's been 1 month since, it's been 8 days since my surgery.
    I'm going home next week after Dr. takes a look at my foot & puts another fiberglass splint on it.
    I can't wait to see my husband, cats, family dogs, friends, other sister & little brothers family.
    It was emotionaly hard waiting 3 weeks for surgery & going through it with just my older sister, her dog & cats.

Happy Heel Healing!
    Carole

Old 07-13-2008, 09:58 AM   #22
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tchair View Post
    Carole,

Good to hear you're back ! Now that you have had the surgery experience, please answer the question that will be foremost in the thoughts of those to follow: " Does it hurt more than initial injury?"

The next stages are tough when you can't do a lot of things for yourself. It gets tough for those who help out because it seems to drag on. You should concentrate on recovery which means as much PT as allowed, always ask for more and do it until you're worn out. For anyone not willing to help, you can only expect more of the same. For anyone who is, accept graciously and without guilt. Kid's are very understanding, but still kids - bored easily and forgetful. The dogs , not being human , you can depend on.

TC
    TChair
    I crashed my left heel 7/7/08 I am scheduled for surgery 7/15. I am hoping it will be successful. I am grateful to you and all the other heelies who have shared your expierience and solutions and encouragement. I will let everyone know how I make out and share anything that might help.
    thanks again

joe41

Old 07-14-2008, 03:37 AM   #23
    tchair
    (male)

Hi Carole,
    Was anxiously waiting your next post (knowing it would be the telltale one). Sounds like your pain levels are up there, but that's the norm. Do be ready to show your doc what hurts, where and when. But more important is your attitude, your looking at the bright side is a good sign. That 350 miles looks like a long ride. Make sure you're setup comfortably as in 4 or 5 pillows so you can lay back and have the foot up.

Joe,

FYI the reason they don't operate immediately is to allow the swelling to go down. since you're only waiting one week - rather than two or three - that points to less swelling from tissue damage and a faster recovery over all. You will want to elevate that foot and move the leg around a bit to help keep the swelling down even more. BTW, last I heard Battyone was doing well. She had some extra bone growth at the fracture site which happens on occasion, and had surgery to remove it. She subsequently reported being back to 95%, 100% on some days, but still as 'batty' as ever.

TC

Old 07-14-2008, 03:03 PM   #24
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

TChair, thanks for the come back. When did you have your accident, and how long was your recovery period? Went to the doc today went over the x ray. Asked a bunch of questions, talked about the ct scan that shows the smaller bone frags which he says he can pull together. Everything is a go for surgery tomorrow. Took your advise and everyone else about elevate and ice so the swelling has gone down from frist day. Go back for frist post op on friday the 25th unless I feel there is a problem. I sure hope that the lady with all those problems fianlly gets some better care, sounds like its happening for her. I will pray for all of us.
    Thanks again

Joe41

Old 07-14-2008, 05:20 PM   #25
    Hyper86
    (female)

Hyper86 HB User

Hello TC & Joe,
    Thanks for your consideration & prayers.
    I will be thinking healing thoughts during tomarrows surgery date 7/15.
    I'm back to 1 percocet every 6 hours & pain has decreased.
    Guess what! I went to the farmers market, crutched around for 2 hours without any pain increase, my nefew & his girlfriend visiting from chico walked ahead of me to clear my path.
    Before yesterday it hurt a lot more when i was up on the crutches, Dr. & PT said it was best to be up & about as much as possible without touching my foot on the ground.
    I got goosebumps this morning & it felt really funny on my leg & foot.
    When i see my Dr. on Wed. will ask if he's going to take out the stitches, if i need to continue the daily lovenox anti blood clot shots, Keflex, + ask for more foot & leg exercises.
    Pain is mostly in back left of heel, some in joint.
    I should not be so hard on my sister she is still recovering from a bad muti fractured pelvis injury that happened on 5/3/06 ( I was traveling on my way to see her that day, stayed with her in the hospital & helped take care of her), she had 2 big screws put in to hold together all the pieces, she still has nerve pain & is on medication.

Keep me posted!
    Kindest regards,
    Carole

Old 07-15-2008, 08:05 AM   #26
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Hello Carole, glad to hear you are making progress, and thanks for your thoughts. I be going to the hospital as soon as I send this, hoping for the best, I will let you konw how things are going when I get back home.

keep healing heelie.

Joe41

Old 07-18-2008, 08:29 AM   #27
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Hello TChair and Carole, am back from the hospital so far so good. They got me on loritab, seems to work good for the pain.

TC, I went back and looked up your posts. I see you have been at it for a while. God bless you and heal you asap.

Carole and TC, when awoke from the op I asked for pain relief. They gave me a shot of morphine which only lasted 3 hrs. After the 3rd go around I asked if there wasn't something that would last longer. The nurse said we could try Loritab 500 mg. so I said ok. and that is what is working, and it lasts for about 6 to 7 hours but I also don't wait for the pain to get ahead of me. I go back for my 1st post op with the doc wednesday the 23rd. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:07 PM   #28
    tchair
    (male)

Carole,

Doing those shots yourself? The first on's the hardest, as are the rest. "I can't wait to see my husband, cats, family dogs..."
    In that order?

Joe,

Looks like you're another happy customer. The Heelie's most important word is 'elevate'. The second (and only by a small margin) is 'proactive'. Once surgeons operate they've pretty much done what they know. Everything after that is just follow-up. So do what you did with the nurse - communicate your needs. On the 23rd ask how soon you can start PT, make sure you're set for any pain, sleep or other issues and if you have questions write them down for the visit.

Recovering from this injury is no joy. You will find that part of leaving it all behind is not continually revisiting it in these forums. I stay around because mine is way in the past, I'm doing fine and someone has to stay hold the fort. Besides, I meet the nicest people.

TC

Old 07-19-2008, 11:03 AM   #29
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User
    Wink Re: Fractured Calcaneus

TC,
    that's my biggest worry being able to do the things I did before, i.e. yard work, fishing etc. I am grateful to you for sharing your expierience and thoughts. I have found it to be very helpful. I will keep posting to let anyone else know what and how I progress, and if I learn anything that can be of value.

Carole,
    I don't like does shots either. I try to have the TV on or other distraction going on and then just go for it. I think it's more mental than anything else, they don't hurt or cause discomfort, don't forget the alcohol wipe

Old 07-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #30
    Hyper86
    (female)

Hyper86 HB User

Hello There!
    Joe glad you made it home safe & sound, how are you feeling now?
    TC the true order is my big orange tabby Puddycat for only he knows exacly how i feel, my little brother Smokey, sister Dianna, husband, the rest of the animals & friends.
    Saw Dr. last Wednesday he is very happy with the way my foot looks.
    My foot looked better to me than last time i saw it on 7/2 day before surgery.
    No need to continue Keflex, will need the shots till 8/18 yuck.
    Will see Dr. next on 7/31 to get stitches out & get the BOOT.
    Can you tell me how much it's going to hurt when the stitches come out?
    My new cast is so much smaller, now people don't say "look at that big cast what did you do"!
    Trip home went okay, lots to do, had to yell at hubby for 2 days because house was so messy, fixed the vacume, took cats to the vet & actualy worked 8 hours today.
    You guys would laugh so hard if you could see me hopping around the house on one foot.
    Before i got hurt nobody could move as fast through the woods or jungle as me, except my Puddycat.
    I hope to run with Puddycat again in the future!

Keep in touch!
    Best Regards,
    Carole

Closed Thread