It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Fractured Calcaneus

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #31
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User
    Re: Fractured Calcaneus

Hi Carole,
    glad to hear you are making progress. I am feelin pretty good no pain meds last two days. I went to the doc today for my 1st post op visit. (Op was on 7/15) They removed the wrapping and dressing and the 16 stitches. Let me say the stitches did not hurt at all, one or two felt like a needle stick that was it. Doc said it looks good so far. They took some more x rays, then they slapped another cast on. They gave me a choice of clolors, red or blue. The nurse said blue is all the rage so I went with the blue. They told me to come back on 8/6 for another look, and of course, keep it elevated and no weight bearing. I asked about PT and Doc said in due time.

Keep Healing Heelie
    Joe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2008, 05:22 PM   #32
    Hyper86
    (female)

Hyper86 HB User

Hello Joe,
    Oh my gosh no pain meds for the last 2 days, you must be a tough guy.
    I'm still needing the pain meds.
    Sure am happy your doing so good.
    How many screws did they use for your plate, i got six of them.
    Do you have feeling in all your toes, can you wiggle them?
    Glad to hear taking out the stitches does not hurt much.
    I had no choice for cast color, mine is white made of fiberglass, wrapped in an ace bandage & it's not completey solid, i can take it off.

Keep-up the good work.
    God must be looking after you!

Thank you,
    Carole

Old 07-24-2008, 07:05 AM   #33
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Hi Carole,
    I also have six screws and a wedge of bone graft. It's amazing what the x-ray looks like, 4 of the scews look to be 1 1/2 to 2 inches long. I have feeling in my toes and can wiggle them no problem.
    Your cast sounds a lot like the one they cut off of me yesterday. Is this the 1st cast after the operation or have you had that one replaced? I think you will be getting a solid cast the next time you see your Doc. What ever you do, if they put a solid cast on, the nurse will ask that you bend your foot up to form as close to a 90 degree as you can. This is important for later when you have to flex your foot to walk. Do the best you can with it. I found it a little painful, you may want to take some pain meds before your appointment, which I did not do.
    From what I have read, I do feel blessed. Needless to say I can't wait for my next appointment, 8/6 to see what's next on the road to recovery.

Stay positive and Keep Healing Heelie
    God looks after all of us.

Joe

Old 07-24-2008, 07:32 PM   #34
    Hyper86
    (female)

Hyper86 HB User

Hello Joe & TC,
    Your injury sounds just like mine, how many pieces did your heel break into?
    I still need pain meds & wonder why, maybe because i had to wait 3 weeks for surgery or maybe i have a low tolerance to pain.
    On the pain scale pain is between a 1 & a 4 1/2.
    Hope i'm not being to active & overdoing it.
    Maybe pain will decrease 7/31 after Dr. removes the stitches.
    This is my 3rd cast, got the 1st day of injury 6/11, 2nd day of surgery 7/3.
    Dr. wants to put a boot on my foot 7/31 it looks big & bulky wonder what it will be like compared to the cast.
    So far the only physical therapy is to wiggle my toes & move my foot a little up & down.

I hope to catch-up with you guys!

Kindest regards,
    Carole

Old 07-25-2008, 08:02 AM   #35
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Hi Carole, TC

When I asked the Doc how many pieces, he said it looked like cereal?(many pieces).
    I think you hit the nail on the head regarding the 3 week delay and your pain. Sorry to hear that. Don't forget elevate when ever you can including sleeping, which I am sure you are doing. My Doc says ice can't hurt, but I haven't figured a fool proof way of keeping the cast dry. This I am told is very important which makes complete sence to me. When I 1st injured the foot I wasn't put in a cast. They wrapped it and put a cooling blanket on it. They keep me in the hospital for a day to see if the swelling would go down. When it was clear it was going to take some more time for the swelling to go down they sent me home with the recirculating cooler blanket that was applied to the foot even though my foot was wrapped in bandages. I think this cooling, elevating and basically staying in my recliner till the operation was benificial. I have a little pain when I 1st get up and put my foot down. but it only last for maybe a minute. I get up and about every few hours to guard against clots. Doc said I do not have to do the shots any more, yeah.
    I know how you feel about getting back to normal, I visited work yesterday and went to JC Penneis to have may watch band that ripped off in fall repaired so on balance it was a good day.
    Today maybe I'll go to the movies. Hope it goes well for, you on the 31st. I know we will beat this together.

Keep Healing Heelie

Joe

Old 07-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #36
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Joe: Don't forget you can put ice on the blood vessels above the cast, especially behind the knee.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:11 PM   #37
    Hyper86
    (female)

Hyper86 HB User

Hello again,
    Thank you for the advise, prayers & encouragement.
    Dr. said my heel was in a 1,000 pieces, think he was exagerating.
    I have not seen the x-rays they took after surgery yet, but will ask to see them on 7/31.
    To keep your cast dry you could wrap a plastic bag around it, thats how i take a shower.
    I worked 3 days this week, but decided to take the day off today.
    Tiger balm seems to help quite a bit with the pain.
    Glad you are up around, it's great that you no longer need the Lovenox shots!

Happy heel healing,
    Carole

Old 07-25-2008, 03:11 PM   #38
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Hi Guys,

Jane, thanks for the information, I'll give it a try.

Carole, good to hear you are back to work a few days a week.
    When they put the fiber glass cast on they gave me a do's and don't's list. They caustioned against using a plastic bag due to possible sweating it could cause. I have a plastic lawn chair that I use to take my shower. I also have a flexible shower hose/ head this allows me to direct the water away from my foot. I also tie a towel or tee shirt around the top of the cast to keep any water from getting in. They also said to use a vaccum cleaner to blow air in the cast if you think it's wet and or to allievate itching.

The Doc changed my appointment to 8/8 but it's 1st thing in the morning, instead of 3pm, stuff happens.

Stay positive and of course,

Keep Healing Heelies

Joe

Old 07-27-2008, 08:01 PM   #39
    mandm
    (male)

mandm HB User

hi all i just fractured my calcaneus in 4 places on july 14 08 i was in seattle wa for work and now home in ut,sents the 17th i'm due for surgery on the 29th july. I was woundering what to expect to come, I've already quit smoking for the most part under directions from doctor but still having a hard time with it. my foot is in a little pain which is my right foot/heal, which makes it harder is that I can't drive suposelly and My job is being a driver and its driving me nuts.thats for your time and thoughts.
    mandm.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:09 AM   #40
    jmac47
    (male)

jmac47 HB User

Hello All,

Lots of good reading for me to catch up on here since my last visit.

I went for my 6 week post-op appointment on 7/25. Since surgery, I've been in a butterfly cast like Carol. Started with a huge one with lots of padding, and gradually got smaller. Like everyone, a big key for me was elevation. With the type of cast I had, I was able to move my foot up and down pretty well. My Doc encouraged this movement as much as possible, but of course NO weight bearing.

My appointment went great! I still have some swelling in my foot, especially around the heel, but it looks much better. My incision has healed very nicely. My Doc was very excited about how good my subtalar movement is. (The side to side movement). Before surgery, he told me I would lose most of that movement, but should be able to move up and down OK. I'm doing both now, so I'm very happy about that. The biggest shock, is that he didn't put me in any kind of cast or boot. He said I could to light toe taps for balance, but still no full weight bearing. Said 20 pounds max, which isn't much. Really felt strange leaving there with nothing after 11 weeks in a cast. I really felt exposed and a bit nervous. Even had trouble sleeping the first couple of nights. Doc has me moving my foot up and down and drawing circles with my toes. Trying to get a little muscle tone back in my flabby calf. I have had to really fight the urge to do more with this as I feel like I can since I don't have a cast and very little pain at all, but I don't want to do damage by doing more weight bearing than I should. My next appointment is 8/14, and my Doc hopes to increase me to 30 to 40 pounds at that time. I'm much more optimistic than I've been in several weeks now. Still have to stay patient though.

For those in the earlier stages of this injury, listen to what your Doc tells you to do, and error on the side of caution. You're going to need to muster all the patience you can throughout this process. Find ways to keep yourself occupied like good books, puzzles, movies, models, etc. Can be very frustrating, but this too shall pass. Stay as positive as you can. Hang in there!

Best of luck to everyone, and as our new slogan seems to be - Keep Healing Heelies!!!

Old 07-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #41
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Hey Jmac,

glad to hear about your progress, sounds like you are doing great. Are you doing any thing in the way of nutrition, suppliments, vitamine etc?

Thanks for the input on how you are handling the down time. Am in the early stage, am 3 weeks post op. I go back to the Doc. on 8/8 for my second visit post op, looking forward to it. I hope am as fortunate as you.

I agree there is a lot of good reads on this site and some very thoughtful and kind folks. I kind of look forward to reading about everyones progress, it gives me a sence of commarodery.

Jane

I tried the ice behind the knee and you are correct it does work, thanks again.

Jamc, wishing you a trouble free and speedy recovery.

Keep Healing Heelie

Joe

Old 07-30-2008, 09:48 PM   #42
    mandm
    (male)

mandm HB User

Hi all. I'm new on the board hope to share info. and stories. I'm just out of surgey yesterday. feeling pretty good now just dealing with my bad knee that I cant pop in my next doc. app. is 8/6/08 to see how my healing is going from what i under stand the next thing is waiting and elevating .doc said he put screws in but wouldnt say how many,i feel tired all the time hopefully this will pass I still have a long 6 months to go.
    hope every body heals fast yours turely mark.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:36 AM   #43
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Hello Mandm, sorry to hear you are a new member of the healies, but there's a bunch of good folks here. As you can see Jmac sums it up pretty much the way it is. Listen to the Doc. and if you have pain tell him and of course elevate and patience is the word.

I belive Carole goes for a Doc. visit today and hoprfuly will report back to us. I go on 8/8 for my second post op visit and I am looking forward to it and will report back. My surgery was 7/15.

Stay positive and a speedy recovery to you.

keep Healing Heelie

Joe41

Old 07-31-2008, 09:32 AM   #44
    mandm
    (male)

mandm HB User
    Cool Re: Fractured Calcaneus

Hi joe the day of your surgey was the second day i fractured my calcaneus.
    my doc said it went perfect as it could go. had to remove bone pieces and replace with new bone paste or something like that. it drained a little bit not alot, witch doc said was really good, I'll find out more on the 6th, I'm go in to tried modes off and on dont know if that is normal has any one else had that.
    funny part of my injury is my wife broke her left foot, back in dec. and she has a doc. app. 8/1. to find out about pulling her screws, It's like were twins just injuryed differnet feet. lol. I'm glad there is these boards it helps to talk and read how others are doing. staying postive,
    keep healing heelie
    mark.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:19 PM   #45
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Hi Mark, boy am sorry to hear about your wife, well you know what they say misery loves company About the tired mode, that might be your body saying it wants you to rest. I have always thought that sleep is very good for any injury.

I agree about the boards it sure helps me. There's power in numbers. The positive attitudes can't hurt either. To you and your wife, Stay positive.

Keep Healing Heelies

Joe41

Closed Thread