It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Fractured Calcaneus

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-18-2008, 02:14 AM   #121
    tchair
    (male)

tchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB User
    Re: Fractured Calcaneus

Amy,

Like Stew said - makes no sense. Before putting any weight on the foot check again with the orthopedist that your heel actually was fractured and they are actually saying to walk on it. If they say yes to both then get a second opinion. Also, if this doc is not taking you at your word he is one to treat all people the same whhile each injury varies. You can only expect that (lack of proper) treatment to continue in you relationship. That's another good reason to go elsewhere.

TC

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2008, 05:42 AM   #122
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

mandm,

I didn't have a heel fracture, but until I could walk enough that my foot got exercise through walking, I exercised my foot 3 times per day, 5 in the beginning.

Once I was walking regularly, then I cut back to once a day.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:55 AM   #123
    joe41
    (male)

joe41 HB User

Hey Mark,
    I try to keep my foot moving as much as possible, of course I spend a lot of time in my recliner. At first I could not get any side motion but little by little am at about 10 degress to each side. Yes I get pain when I try to go to far too. Another week and a little more progress. Stay strong and positive and of course

Keep Healing Heelie

Joe

Old 08-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #124
    mandm
    (male)

mandm HB User

thanks joe & janewhite1
    for Your anwser to my question, I for got to ask my doc about it, I was just wondering if I was over doing it or not cause I dont what to hurt my self more, just wanting healing. and I'll keep updating to.
    Keep Healing Heelies
    Mark

Old 08-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #125
    Hyper86
    (female)

Hyper86 HB User

Hello Healies!
    My home office computer still has a virus so my computer access is limited.
    I'm visiting my work today so get to catch up on whats been going on.
    After reading about Jmac, got a little spooked & am being extra carefull to follow Dr.s orders exactly.
    It's been six weeks since my surgery, will see my Dr. next week 8/27.
    Want to ask if I can do anything else for P.T., swim, ride a bike, move foot side to side, bear weight.
    All I get to do now is move foot up & down, wiggle toes one time per hour.
    Dr. has told me numerous times no weight on foot for 12 weeks.
    I'm only taking 1 perocett a day, pain is between 1 & 2 on the pain scale.

Hey Jmac, hope your infection is under control.

Keep on Healing Heelies!
    Carole

Old 08-18-2008, 02:47 PM   #126
    loghome1
    (male)

loghome1 HB User

Mark,
    I have some of my side to side movement back(about half compared to other foot) I try and use a theraband twice a day. My doctor told me to try and circle my big toe as soon as i could and i think that helped.
    take care,
    Stew

Old 08-18-2008, 04:49 PM   #127
    coHoser
    (male)

coHoser HB User

Hello all.

I crashed on a ladder in June 1992 resulting in a severely fractured calcaneous. "Luckily", I had surgery the same day and have lived with several plates and deck screws for the past 16 years. I so wish that my ortho at the time had just fused my joint rather than try to rebuild the joint. I have never been pain free, and currently take 160 to 200 mgs of oxy per day to be mobile. That mobility has been shrinking over time, I used to enjoy hiking walking etc, but that is gone for the most part.

The joint seems to be deteriorating and is getting more unstable and seems to have some process going on that I need to stop. I now have an appointment this Wednesday with yet another ortho to see about fusing the silly thing once and for all. There just never has been a time where I voluntarily could/would spend 3 to 6 months in a cast - but I think it's about time now.

I have *maybe* another 5 years working as a software engineer, I have survived many RIF's (> 25 or so) over the years, but one of these days I'll get whacked... So my 5 year plan is to fuse my right foot, replace my left knee and do something about a L5 nerve impingement before I go into that good night of retirement - and have all the time in the world to wander about...

Interesting to read about all the outcomes - I hope that technology and skills have improved since my original crash.

Good luck to all.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:57 AM   #128
    patw27
    (female)

patw27 HB User

Hi Joe,
    How is your WB going?. My foot playing up a bit this week, probably because I have not been able to get a hydrotherapy session in and I have been doing a lot of distance outside on 1 crutch , you win some you lose some. Thanks for positive thoughts

Pat

Old 08-19-2008, 09:05 AM   #129
    patw27
    (female)

patw27 HB User

Hi Amy,
    I am astounded that you have been advised to walk at 21/2 weeks, I fractured my calcaneus 6 months ago, I did not have operation but was in a NWB cast for 3 months and then told to only partial WB to tolerance with 2 crutches for a further 6 .
    After that I started hydrotherapy and am still only WB with 1 crutch and have been told by PT to take things slowly until they can get me off crutch.
    I think you need a second opinion

Take care

Pat

Closed Thread