It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• should I go for a walk in my walking cast?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-17-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
    njvj
    (female)

njvj HB User
    should I go for a walk in my walking cast?

I have been in a walking cast for a week ( after 6 weeks of a cast). I get a boot in a week. I have been told to be FWB as tolerated. I am using crutches a lot for balance. I am bored out of my mind and really feeling fat. Should I go for a 30 minute stroll ( and I do mean stroll) after work? I will obviously bring the crutches and stay close to home. What do you think? I really want to get better and the doctor told me to walk on it. I had a flat foot reconstruction, bunionectomy , calcaenal osteotomy, achilles lengthening and tendon transfers.

thoughts??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
    chic43
    (female)

chic43 HB User
    Re: should I go for a walk in my walking cast?

If your doctor said ok, then maybe you should. Try SLOWLY, CAREFULLY, TREAD SOFTLY ....and see how it goes. Definitely bring the crutches and maybe just start with say a stroll down your driveway to the mailbox and back (if you have that) and then see how you feel. If nothing else you'll get outside for a breath of fresh air!

Old 06-17-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
    dinkles
    (female)

dinkles HB User

My doc said I could go to FWB as tolerated as well. I did put on my shoes yesterday and took a walk and did it again this morning. The docs office called a little while ago to see how I was doing and they said I overdid it. Their meaning of walking was starting out with like 100 yards and very gradually building up to more over the next few weeks. So, I would take a short walk and see how that goes. I was really surprised how weak my leg muscles were and I'm sure yours are also as you have been non-weight bearing in a cast already for 6 weeks. As my doc said today, slow and steady wins the race.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

With walking cast and boot, remember it's not a natural walking movement, and it puts abnormal stresses on the knees, hips and lower back (mainly the knee of the affected leg). Normal getting-around walking should be fine, but walking miles just for fun is probably unwise (no matter how tempting it is, I know!)

Old 06-17-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
    debbie g
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

if you do take a short walk please be careful. you dont want to trip and do anymore damage.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #6
    cosmic1
    (female)

cosmic1 HB User

No matter what you have been instructed be cautious at first.
    I was sooo cavalier about being able to walk with a walking cast post bunion surgery.
    Your surgery has had enough time to heal the bones.
    I didn't have healed bones but was instructed to walk on my heel with a walking cast.
    I did end up with a whole additional surgery one month after the first surgery.
    I do believe that I should have not been so gung ho about walking about.
    Take it easy.
    I took it very cautiously with my second surgery (which was extensive) no matter what I was instructed.
    I healed extremely well the second time around.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:25 PM   #7
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I"d take a short walk. Walking around in the boot just about killed my back from the difference in height of the shoe on my good foot. I could get to the mailbox and into the store and out but couldn't do any sports or power walking.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:58 PM   #8
    sunny77
    (female)

sunny77 HB User

I know it doesn't sound like much, but 30 minutes is a long time when you're not even fully bearing weight. What can result is a painful/sore/tired foot that won't recover very quickly and will slow you down more. You might swell more too, which can be uncomfortable. I'm 4 months post-op and can't comfortably go more than about 15 minutes. What I do in PT and at home is use a stationary bike and I'm now up to about 20 minutes without discomfort. The biking is NWB and still allows some exercise. I also use weights on my ankles and do leg lifts, use dumbbells for my arms, etc. I hate that feeling of being out of shape and fat, especially since I've always been a more active person. Just take it slow and try not to overdo things...you're on your way and will be doing things soon! I know it's hard to wait...but you don't want to harm your foot more by overdoing things too soon.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:44 AM   #9
    e265rho
    (female)

e265rho HB User

I had bunion surgery and two hammertoes approximately 3 1/2 weeks ago. No cast just a boot. I still have the pins in my toes. My pod said I could do the bike. I was excited to hear this but leary to start. ANy advice on using the bike? I am doing some weights, stretches and pilates exercises at home; minimally of course.
    thanks

Old 06-19-2008, 12:02 PM   #10
    dncergrl53
    (female)

dncergrl53 HB User

There are intermediate steps between sitting and walking. My PT advised me to start out with

1. Sitting and putting foot on ground and then leaning on thigh to give it a bit more pressure. Then:

2. Standing and shifting weight from foot to foot for a few seconds, building up gradually. Then

3. Stepping around house from room to room, where the floor is even and flat. Then,

Building up from there. Walking outside is more advanced because of the uneven terrain, the possible hills and obstacles.

She also has me practicing push off with affected foot behind, but you can't and shouldn't do that with a cast. I am working on ROM now.

Elevate after each session.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:42 AM   #11
    clings4
    (female)

clings4 HB User
    Smile Re: should I go for a walk in my walking cast?

Hello - first post for me. My 13 yr. old daughter is in a walking boot following achilles tendon lengthening. She is 4 weeks post surgery and today was the first day she could try putting weight on it. She's discouraged because it hurt. Doc said it would - nerve pain from not using it, but it was more than she expected! She's back to using her crutches to take most of the weight. How long does this kind of pain last? I'm watching her carefully because I'll have foot surgery in the future and hope to learn from hers!

Old 07-29-2008, 01:19 PM   #12
    forevergimpy
    (female)

forevergimpy HB User

For me, the process of transitioning to walking in my boot has been long one. I am 3.5 weeks from midfoot surgery and have been cleared to walk as tolerated. Like your daughter, I was warned that it would hurt and to take it slow. I found that I needed to put more and more weight on it with the crutches so that if it was too much after a few steps I wasn't stranded in the middle of the room (a lesson learned the hard way). Then I went down to one crutch, then finally without any crutches. Each new phase took several days and for me overdoing it causes me back to at least one crutch for a bit. As I understand it, when the doc clears for walking, it should be comfortable. If your daughter's still in a lot of discomfort I'd tell her to ease off a bit.
    Some great advice I've read on this site is to try weight bearing just 5 minutes an hour, instead of one long trip at a time. Good luck, I hope she's feeling better soon.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:55 PM   #13
    emmie54
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

I put 25% weight at first (push on a scale to see what this feels like), did this for a few days, then went to 50% for a few days, then 75% until I had NO pain, then 100%. This took about 2 weeks. When I say no pain I mean no pain when putting the weight on it. You will naturally have some pain and weakness when you first begin walking without assistance. Don't overdo it. slower is better.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:21 AM   #14
    clings4
    (female)

clings4 HB User

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I know this will help her! I think she was expecting to magically be able to walk with no pain, even though she'd been told that wouldn't happen. She'll get along better with knowing others have had the same issue and that there is an end in sight! Great idea to have her push on a scale to get an idea of what 25% of her weight will feel like!

Closed Thread